Author Topic: Happy with my Handi! Range report  (Read 658 times)

Offline scandmx5

• Trade Count: (1)
Happy with my Handi! Range report
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »
First let me say if you are a SUB-MOA or bust kinda guy, then this post probably isn't for you.  However, if you are a regular shooter or hunter that likes an accurate gun that will put meat in the freezer, then read on.

Today I picked up my Ultra Hunter .308 that I ordered on Tuesday.  I was slightly irritated as there was a gash in the factory scope base, and an inch line on the barrel that had been scratched through the bluing and you could see the steel.  However, it wasn't an X-Bolt Medallion or Model 70 Super Grade so I put it behind me.
I followed the advice of the guys on this forum and gave the barrel a few passes with JB Bore paste on a brush, followed by some Kroil, followed by a dry patch, followed by a little Rem-Oil. I also cleaned the shelf, latch, and related areas.  I then tightened down the scope mounts as they weren't tight at all from the factory.  Next up I mounted the scope, leveled it, and boresighted.  Scope is a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40mm with Accu-Range reticle.

Since no one bothered to respond to my post in regards to what factory ammunition works best in their Handi 308...I decided to buy some 165gr or 168gr loads as they're middle of the road in weight.  Every store I went to only had 150gr, 180gr, or ballistic tips in 165gr. I was looking for a standard softpoint. I was in a hurry to get to the range so I just settled with Core-Lokt 150gr's and some hope.

I then went to the range and followed GBO advice- shutting the action with authority and putting the gun on sandbags just in front of the trigger guard at the hinge area. Not knowing what to expect from a break-action rifle (my first) and reading horror stories of them flying open when shot, I yanked the trigger and held on.  My shot was the lonely one on the low right.  The recoil wasn't bad at all, pleasant actually compared to past 30-06's, 7mm Rem Mags, and 300WSM's I've owned.  This was my first time sighting in with sandbags as I always use a Caldwell Lead Slead, so it took some work on my parth other than pressing a trigger set at 3.5lbs like I'm used to.  So then it was time for number 2...BAM!...dead center where I was aiming. Then I let number 3 fly...it was about an inch below number 2.  "Not bad..." I thought...so then I let the barrel cool and took my fourth and final shot, and it was right next to number 2. I was a happy camper, because this is just fine for minute-of-deer accuracy, great actually FOR ME (key words).  I wasn't expecting my Handi to do this well, so an experienced rifle shooter could easily do WAY better than this. Keep in mind, I am not a competition shooter or even close...just a guy with a $272.oo rifle, sandbags, and a 6 3/4 pound trigger. No shimming, no floating, no O-rings...just plain out of the box and cleaned.   Target was set at 50 yards as I hunt thick woods, and the furthest I would get a shot on my land is 70 yards tops.  That being said, I am happy and confident with my Handi!! It exceeded my expectations, and that was just firing four shots quickly before the sun went down!  Best part of it was, I obviously did a good job boresighting it as I never even touched the turrets!

Hopefully this helps potential buyers of Handi Rifles, as I just decided on one on Monday!

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Happy with my Handi! Range report
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
Plenty good for minute of deer.  I load all my own ammo, but have heard good things from buddies on Federal Fusion line bullets.  I personally load my 7.5x55 swiss with 180 gr. Hornady BTSP and get excellent accuracy and smackdown.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
Great first time out.  As for the scratches I agree it sucks to get a new gun that way but now you have no excuses to get it in the field and use it. :)

I'm not being critical, but I'm curious.  Why did you choose a 308 for a 70 yard max shot?  I'm guessing most on this forum would have chosen a 45-70 with trap door loads for deer at that range.  Maybe I'm stuck in conventional wisdom.

Offline scandmx5

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »

I'm not being critical, but I'm curious.  Why did you choose a 308 for a 70 yard max shot?  I'm guessing most on this forum would have chosen a 45-70 with trap door loads for deer at that range.  Maybe I'm stuck in conventional wisdom.
I hunt other places than just my land, with several hundred yard shots. I also live in Georgia where our deer are relatively thin, that being said, the 45-70 would be superfluous.

Offline Brian P.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
Nice report!   :)
Lead me not into temptation but point me to it instead.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
Good hunting.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:14:34 AM »
The 308 is a good choice. You can shoot anything from varmints to elk with it. The "Ultra" is a good choice too. Two out three of my frames are Ultras. As far as a short range deer rifle, it is pretty hard to beat a 357 Maximum or 44 Magnum for anything this side of 100 yards or a bit further. I live in Indiana where we are regulated to cases that are no longer than 1.800" and bigger than .357 bore. 44 Magnums are very popular, along with 357's and 500 S&W's. Like I said, the 308 is a very good choice and the price now days is not too bad either. We pay more than that for a plane Jane Handi around here. 44 Mag or 500 S&W sell for $300. I saw a .204 on sale for $260 this summer.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline scandmx5

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »
The 308 is a good choice. You can shoot anything from varmints to elk with it. The "Ultra" is a good choice too. Two out three of my frames are Ultras. As far as a short range deer rifle, it is pretty hard to beat a 357 Maximum or 44 Magnum for anything this side of 100 yards or a bit further. I live in Indiana where we are regulated to cases that are no longer than 1.800" and bigger than .357 bore. 44 Magnums are very popular, along with 357's and 500 S&W's. Like I said, the 308 is a very good choice and the price now days is not too bad either. We pay more than that for a plane Jane Handi around here. 44 Mag or 500 S&W sell for $300. I saw a .204 on sale for $260 this summer.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Yeah I get them at cost. Perks of being friends with a pawn shop owner!

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »
Looks like you've got yourself a shooter!
The .308 is a great caliber for a hunting rifle and you can find ammo anywhere.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:50:41 AM »
Beautiful wood on that one. I'm more into plastic on the Handis. Need to try a wood one someday. Only other wood stock besides yours that really appealed to me was in the classifieds a while back and I thought about it to long >:(
Couple hints: Stop yanking on the trigger, you'll get better groups ;D  And if you're a do it yourselfer, check the FAQs about doing a trigger job. I'd shoot it a few more times to settle it in.
I have a 308, never shot it, prepping cases now and hope it shoots good as yours.
Stock/gun looks beautiful in the picture. Nice setup there.

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »
Thanks for the report. I always enjoy reading a range report. Well done and congratulations. You really can't go wrong with a .308. I am on the same track with a Handi .308, my GBO parts gun. Lock, stock, and barrel all from classifieds here and from all over the country. I haven't got serious with it yet but it shoots 180s about like your group. I had a deer/bear tag so wanted something for a big bear just in case. I'm an avid cast bullet shooter and so am also working on some loads using home made wheel weight bullets, 175s around 2,000 fps. Versatile gun/cartridge.