Author Topic: Handi rifle use in our refuge youth deer hunt  (Read 545 times)

Offline mo_bio

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
Handi rifle use in our refuge youth deer hunt
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »
So our refuge puts on a youth deer hunt each year and it is this weekend.  We let 50 kids come onto the refuge and hunt with a parent and it is a great time.  This year I decided to keep track of caliber and gun used.  The only place I can think of to post this where it would be appreciated like I do is on here.  Out of the 12 deer checked in so far today 7 were taken with a handi rifle.  Six of them were in 243 and the other was a 270.  I told the kids I have a "few" handis and really like to hunt with them.  Most of the kids got their rifles out to show them to me.  A few talked about it being their older brother or sister's and how they shot their first deer with it too.  Will keep you guys posted on the final tally but thought I would share.
Handis: .17 mach2 (x2), .22 lr, 22 hornet, .22 jet, .223, .243, .270, .280, .357 max (x2), 35 remington, 35 whelen, 45-70, 445sm, 30-30, 410, 500 S&W, 50 AK

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if
necessary."-- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Handi rifle use in our youth deer hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
Cool,
 I think that's the Handi's forte`,, the starter gun.
 It's how I got into them years back as a first shotgun then as a first rifle Centerfire rifle for my son.
What's better than teaching a young or new shooter the importance of making the first shot count.

Simplicity, Safety and if needed minor tinkering for accuracy at it's affordable best.
And addictive too,  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »
This is one of the best posts I've read in a long time. ;)   I love to see kids get started.  It sounds like they have very serious and sensible parents and mentors.  When I was a kid, I had a seven shot .22, but was only allowed to load one shot at a time.  I did things D-R-A-W-K-C-A-B  (backward).  I got my first Handi when I was about 65 :o :o :o   Second childhood???

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »
This is our youth weekend also in New Hampshire. We didn't see any deer but we had a great day in the field and saw lots of sign.

My son used his .410 Versa Pack, that's what he's most comfortable shooting (he's 10 and kind of recoil shy). He uses that on squirrels so I have confidence in his ability to take a deer at 30 yards with it.

My buddy from church brought his son who is also 10 years old. He used an H&R 28 gauge folding shotgun loaded with Brenneke slugs. I checked the serial number, it begins with F which puts it at 1945 manufacture date. The gun was willed to my friend by a family friend who taught him how to hunt as a child. After handling that gun I think I might need to find one, it weighed well under 5 pounds and was a joy to handle.

Two H&R single shots from different generations and two friends teaching their sons how to hunt, it doesn't get much better than that.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: Handi rifle use in our refuge youth deer hunt
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
Cool,
 I think that's the Handi's forte`,, the starter gun.
 It's how I got into them years back as a first shotgun then as a first rifle Centerfire rifle for my son.
What's better than teaching a young or new shooter the importance of making the first shot count.

Simplicity, Safety and if needed minor tinkering for accuracy at it's affordable best.
And addictive too,  ;)
This is one of the best posts I've read in a long time. ;)    I love to see kids get started.  It sounds like they have very serious and sensible parents and mentors.  When I was a kid, I had a seven shot .22, but was only allowed to load one shot at a time.  I did things D-R-A-W-K-C-A-B  (backward).  I got my first Handi when I was about 65 :o :o :o   Second childhood???

Pete
The Handi a starter gun and an experts gun. 

I started my kids out with Handi's,  I've had plenty of different types of firearms over the years.  I enjoy them all, but I really get a lot of satisfaction out of making Handi's perform up to their potential.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
I must agree with Pete. This is a great post ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I must humbly disagree with one of his statements though ;D He is so old he is in his 4th childhood :o :o
 Now back to the topic.
 For over 25 years I was associated with an organization called Operation Orphans. Is function was to bring in kids from children's homes and take them hunting.There is no greater feeling than seeing a  youngster on their first outing.Their excitement level and enthusiasm is off the chart.
 It doesn't matter what type of firearm is used really. The getting out and having a fun outdoor experience is the most important factor.The harvesting of an animal is only frosting on the cake so to speak.
 I do agree on a Handi as being a perfect firearm for ANYONE be they young, old, in their first, second or more childhood.
Happy Trails
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:11:22 AM »
+1 with Petemi, you just can't beat taking kids hunting, doesn't get any better than that.  I still enjoy taking my "kid" deer hunting and he is 29 years old.  I started him on a 410 Pardner and he is still hunts deer with a break-open (12 ga Rossi :'( ;D ) and actually declined my offer of a 12ga Italian Autoloading Slug Gun for this year's hunt!

Good luck in the field this year to all you Kids (your in this group Pete ;) ), Dads & Granddads.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »
When my son was 9, he took his hunter safety course and the instructor was against starting kids out on single shots. He said that the risk was too great for them due to having to uncock a loaded gun when a shot wasnt taken. To prove this he had my son go to the front, since he was the youngest, handed him a single shot and had him cock and uncock the hammer several times. My boy never let one slip! The instructor gave me some funny looks, sent my son back to his seat and quickly changed the subject. I just sat there grinning from ear to ear. Point made!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi