Author Topic: ruger hawkeye dont get it  (Read 1487 times)

Offline hermhunt

• Trade Count: (0)
ruger hawkeye dont get it
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »
I just picked up a new all weather 358 win hawkeye. put it off for a while after hearing some of the complaints. Shot a guys 308 at the club shot under a 1in with fed fusions. So I thought I would give it a try. Love the 358 have a blr. The trigger was at 4.5 lbs out of the box about 15 mins of stone work its 3lbs no creep. Added a leo 1x5. Grabbed some of the loads that shoot well in the browning and went to the range. After sight in this rifle puts all rounds in to 1in. Cant beat that, guess I should have bought it earlier.

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• A Real Regular
Re: ruger hawkeye dont get it
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »
I have/had several Hawkeyes and all were at least MOA accurate------I can't say the same for the MkII's I owned

Offline flinter54

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:51:38 PM »
I too have a Hawkeye in .358 Win, it is a standard model with a Leupold VX III 2.5-8 and I absolutely love it.  I have tried 3 different bullets so far. The 200gr Hornady RN, the Sierra 225gr Gameking, and currently have a batch of Speer 220gr FP ready to go for this years deer season. Of these 3, the Sierra has been the most accurate off the bench. In the field, both the Hornady RN and the Sierra have been devastating on white tail here in MI, and one pig down in TN.

Since I've had a great experience with this Hawkeye, I think I'm going to get the All Weather model in either .243 or the new 6.5 Creedmoor.

Flinter54

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:18 AM »
ive got two hawkeys a 7 mag and a 264 mag. Ive owned 3 other hawkeyes that went down the road.  Both are decent shooters but not exceptional. Both will shoot right around a 1 1/4 for 5 shots at a 100 yards but took alot of load developement, trigger work and bedding to get there. Ive owned 3 other hawkeyes that went down the road. One o6 that wouldnt shoot anything under 2 inches and believe me i tried with that one and a 270 and a 243 that i stuggled with and gave up. they may have came around but the chamberings didnt interest me enough to waste the money on load developementI hear all the time guys saying that they are hands down the best shooting rugers but truth be told there not a bit differnt then a mark II. Just a nicer stock and matte bluing. Same barreled actions. ruger needs to get off there duffs and design a 77 that will shoot. its sad when there 300 dollar ruger americans outshoot there 700 dollar 77s!! Ruger has the looks thing down pat with the hawkeyes but needs to put to sleep that ill designed recoil lug and bedding system and screw on quality barrels.
blue lives matter

Offline Hank in Indiana

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:12:47 AM »
My 358 Hawkeye is the most accurate Ruger I've ever owned. The barrel does heat up quickly but is extremely consistant with cool down time between shots.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »
I've got an All Weather in 25-06 and it will shoot the heads off of house flies at 100 yards. Of course i have to tweak the handloads to squeeze the most from it but its definitely a shooter.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline phoneman7

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
I've got a Hawkeye Compact Magnum in 308 win.  Put it in an old skeleton stock and a conquest 3-9x40 and it is sweet