Author Topic: Legal to ship signal cannon to CANADA???????  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Legal to ship signal cannon to CANADA???????
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
I have a good old pall from Canada who would like me to send him one of my old 1841 6 pounder signal cannons.

IS this Legal to ship to Canada? Please help advice needed.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Legal to ship signal cannon to CANADA???????
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
I have a good old pall from Canada who would like me to send him one of my old 1841 6 pounder signal cannons.

IS this Legal to ship to Canada? Please help advice needed.

Remember no legal advice given here. So don't ask.

You know, if it were me, I would box it up, take to the post office and fill out the customs declaration and claim it as a replica of an antique cannon.  Post office may give you some grief. Just politely ask them if they will look it up in the postal regulations  and if it can't be shipped, ask them for a copy of the regulation prohibiting shipment, so you have can have it for your records. 

Offline Triple D

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
A friend of mine shipped a rifle scope to Germany once after selling it on Ebay..  He was charged with a felony, spent time in jail, was fired from his job at the gun store, paid $30,000 in legal fees, plus had to give up all his guns forever.
That is the story he told me.

Better check it out real good, first.
I wore Confederate Gray back in the day

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
A friend of mine shipped a rifle scope to Germany once after selling it on Ebay..  He was charged with a felony, spent time in jail, paid $30,000 in legal fees, plus had to give up all his guns forever.

HOLLY MOLLY! Im might not even bother to check it out. I might just have to walk away from this friend. Walking away slowly backwards with one finger on my trigger. LOL

I don't want nothing to do with a felony.

If I declare this at the post office as an antique replica cannon am I on the hook or is the post office I wonder. Im not looking for legal advice, your opinions are just fine. Thank you.

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »
A friend of mine shipped a rifle scope to Germany once after selling it on Ebay..  He was charged with a felony, spent time in jail, paid $30,000 in legal fees, plus had to give up all his guns forever.

I call BS on this. 

The export of a rifle scope requires an export permit from the department of Commerce  for a sporting scope and an export license from the Department of State for a scope with military applications.   Exporting without a permit is a civil offense and is resolved by payment of a  monetary penalty. An attorney is not need.   If he was charged a felony and put in jail then he did other things than attempting  to export a rifle scope with out license or permits.

I know this because before I retired I was a Customs Inspector specializing in Arms Export control.  I would have been the type Inspector that would have seized the rifle scope being exported with license or permit.

Antiques and replicas don't need export licenses.

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »

he probably shipped it FROM Kalifornia to Germany.......... ???
"MORE booze!"

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:24:39 AM »
If you can ship it legally from the USA you need to find out how the Canadians handle it as an import.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:44:31 AM »
I just shipped one of my concrete cannons and carriage to British Columbia.  Does that count? ;D ;D
Called it a concrete cannon yard ornament.
Two big crates over 800 lbs total.  Got there no problem.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
We  ship to Canada every month, no problem. They are great neighbors, great customers and they are offering 118,000 jobs to returning U.S. Military to build the 'PIPELINE' across Canada that our 'misfit' refuses to build in America.

Michael
                             Home of the Golden Gun

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Amen Michael

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
I went to the post office today to find out and they said no. They looked in there book and told me that it wouldn't be allowed and I could face serious consequences for shipping it.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
We had a Post Mistress could find a reason why nothing could work. May have something to do with USPS losing 4 Billion+ in the last year. Go to another Post Office and talk to them truthfully about what you are shipping and 'shazam', you will have a new friend.

Michael

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
We had a Post Mistress could find a reason why nothing could work. May have something to do with USPS losing 4 Billion+ in the last year. Go to another Post Office and talk to them truthfully about what you are shipping and 'shazam', you will have a new friend.

Michael

I had them print there policy out for me like DD said to. They couldn't print out there updated policy from there computer so they photo copied me a print out from there book that looked to be about 60 years old.  I have a feeling it has to be legal because I went on Dixie gun works and they seem to ship to Canada also. Some of there guns say in big letters wont ship to Canada or new Jerseys. When you look at there cannons it doesn't say nothing about it.

Offline Dr Frank

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
Hi Gentlemen.   In Canada you need a permit to purchase a firearm.(rifle,shotgun,handgun) and muzzle loaders are considered firearms. HOWEVER cannons/mortars are not considered firearms.   It does not have to make sense it is the law!   Here I can put a 8 inch barrel on a shotgun and as long as the gun is over 26 inches long I am good to go.  But I cannot take my legally registered and owned M2 .50 cal to the range.    Our firearms legislation is very messed up, created by idiots who know nothing about firearms.   Rant mode off!!!      Anyhow cannons and mortars are fine here, breech loading,muzzle loading, black powder and smokeless.

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »
I went to the post office today to find out and they said no. They looked in there book and told me that it wouldn't be allowed and I could face serious consequences for shipping it.

They are wrong.

Can you scan in and post a copy of what they gave you?

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:50 PM »
I will put a picture I took up with my phone. This is a very pathetic piece of paper that they gave me. On there computer they was reading to me about any device that simulates and explosion and mentioning other things to me. The two postal workers who was talking to me both agreed that I wouldn't be allowed to ship it and if I attempted to ship it and it got opened up at customs I  could be in trouble. I know they are probably wrong. Im just giving up because of the comment above about a felony and stuff. I just would rather not risk it without some real legal advice. Since I cant afford an attorney im just not going to mess with this. Thanks everyone for all your input but like double d said. This isn't the place for legal advice and I shouldn't put my faith in opinions.

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
First,  the  post up thread about felony  is pure unadulterated---nonsense. The poster doesn't know what he is talking about.  If some one got arrested and charged with a felony for shipping a rifle scope sold on Ebay there is a great deal more to the story- a lot more.

Here is the applicable Postal Regulations on Firearms.http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/welcome.htm

Definitions http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm
 431.3 Antique Firearm

An antique firearm (including one with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) is any firearm manufactured in or before 1898, or a replica of such a firearm, that meets either of the following conditions:

It is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
    It uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available through commercial trade channels.

Mailability http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.

International Mail http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c6_006.htm

The requirements and prohibitions that apply to the mailing of firearms in domestic mail, as stated in chapter 4 and DMM 601.11, also apply to international mail subject to any restrictions in the Individual Country Listings in the IMM. The mailer must obtain an export license for mailing the following firearms:

a. Nonautomatic and semiautomatic rifles, carbines, revolvers, and pistols (regardless of caliber), except those of .50 caliber or less manufactured before 1898.
b.   Shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches long.
c.   All machine guns, submachine guns, machine pistols, and fully automatic rifles.

The Local Post office loves me...but there are some in Virginia who hate me.....

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:10 PM »
Would not drilling the fuse hole completely through change anything? ??? ?? non-firing hunk of metal.

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:40 AM »
Not drilling the hole is how a lot of manufacturers get away  with it...they think--for liability purposes.

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
 :)  Howdy! Just curious, but how much does this cannon weigh and how big is it? How much are the Customs fee to import into Canada and VAT? These will probably be assessed and must be paid by the buyer in Canada. Something to consider if you mail or ship it to Canada.  Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
:)  Howdy! Just curious, but how much does this cannon weigh and how big is it? How much are the Customs fee to import into Canada and VAT? These will probably be assessed and must be paid by the buyer in Canada. Something to consider if you mail or ship it to Canada.  Always, Gene

It doesnt weigh much. I did figure out the barrel alone was going to cost about 36 to ship. Its about 1/5th scale. Im not going to be shipping it to my friend now. I refered him to BrooksUSA and Dixie Gunworks.  I told him I was to chicken to ship it.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
there is another aspect to this as far as "export" goes.....
1) The U.S. State department is now in the middle of this any FFL dealer who exports or imports firearms/ammunition must have special licensing from the State Dept.
2) The UN is mucking things up on this front also.... ever buy a case of forgien ammo? notice the UN control code on the cardboard box?
This is WHY most auctions on Gunbroker or parts on evilbay state no sales outside the U.S.
Take a look here......

http://pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_official.html

http://pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/official_itar/ITAR_Part_121.pdf

I used to sell a lot of antique and modern gun parts on Gunbroker and evilbay and at least twice a month someone from outside the U.S. would ask me if they could bid..... my answer was always NO!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »
 :)

It doesnt weigh much. I did figure out the barrel alone was going to cost about 36 to ship. Its about 1/5th scale. Im not going to be shipping it to my friend now. I refered him to BrooksUSA and Dixie Gunworks.  I told him I was to chicken to ship it.

good sense!...If in question~don't!.....unless you have un-limitted legal funds and time...because the GOVERNMENT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"MORE booze!"