Author Topic: Wolves really a threat?  (Read 9393 times)

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Wolves really a threat?
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
This is random as heck, I know. But I'm curious what the locals are thinking who actually go out in wolf country. Any threatening activity? What's the local response? Just curious, can't rely on the media for a info source. There's always hearsay, I'm wondering about the experiences of folks actually there.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Wolves really a threat?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »
Yes, they are a threat, why do you think our Grandfathers spent so much time and effort to kill them all off? It is only a matter of time before a few tree huggers become Wolf snacks.    Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
I agree.  They regularly prey on deer size animals, including domestic livestock.  Bear hunters have lost dogs to them, they've snatched a few dogs out of people's yards.

Tree huggers may not be any great loss, but I fear someday a child will be attacked while waiting for the school bus or playing in the backyard.

I think of them as being a similar threat as black bears.  That is to say 99% of the time they pose no danger to humans, but under the right circumstances they can be life threatening.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:06:21 AM »
Wolves are a threat to livestock and the game we like to hunt.  They are not a threat to humans.  That's the stuff of legends and fairy tales.  But then I live in VA, so what do I know? 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:11:09 AM »
I once read that they never killed a human in north america but that was not true . In Eourpe the story was different they seemed to kill humans . It would seem if hungry and you are the closest meal ................or a danger to young ...................
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »
Concidering the many Coyote attacks lately, some ending in human loss of life, I don't think it's a stretch to think Wolve's would do the same.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:55:11 AM »
You're deluded if you don't think a pack of hungry wolves wouldn't have you for lunch given the opportunity.   Wolves are very intelligent and work as a team when hunting/stalking their prey.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Brett, you are an eastener like me.  You might know more about wolves than I, but I've never heard of a documened case where a wolf attached a human, either singly or in a pack.  I suppose maybe it's happend.  But I don't think I'm deluded to believe we are safe in areas inhabited by wolves.  Maybe if one were cornered, injured, or protecting pups.  I think it's the false fear factor that's escalated due to what they look like and their capability to kill.  There are other creatures that will get you if they can:  Snakes, sharks, grizzlies, mountain  lions, woverines, spiders, etc., but not wolves.  Many documented cases of dogs attacking.  Years ago I looked into buying a dog/wolf hybrid and learned that the dog in them makes them much more aggressive toward humans than a full-blooded wolf. 
They are fast, sleek, ferocious, intelligent and beautiful animals, and it's no wonder stories developed, but it's 99% fiction.  A heated debate ensues when someone mentions killing them to protect livestock and game.  Sure enough, wolves will kill for pleasure and can wipe out a herd of sheep in a night.  I think even if we could find a case of an unprovoked wolf attacking a human, it would not be something that we can say happens often or even more than a few times in all of U.S. history since Europeans arrived. 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
Hey, it only needs to happen once......if it happens to you. ;) Fact is many wild animals are losing their fear of man. That doesn't bode well for either.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »
I think even if we could find a case of an unprovoked wolf attacking a human,

What about that teacher up in Alaska that got et not to long ago?   :-\   
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »
I will not climb on a soapbox here and write the pages I could about my opinions on the wolf managment in this country or even the people doing the managment. It would be lengthy and most of you have heard sentiments similar to mine allready.

On to the question. I won't say it can't or won't happen. Eventually someone will get attacked by one, be it a hurt/sick/mentally challenged/or whatever excuse they come up with wolf. They are a predator. A large predator at that. Packs of the damn things have decimated heards of elk and deer from the Yellowstone and Powder to the Snake and now here in Oregon. A human would be a pretty easy target compared to even a yearling doe. However people are not in thier prey base. I as an individual worry more about some yuppies lovable poodle trying to take a bite out of me on some isolated trail than I do a wolf or even a mt lion attacking me. As far as a threat to my physical well being at any given moment wolves rank between that rabbit on the Holy Grail and the nieghbors arthritic chiuahua that dosn't like me.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Mike In Virgina:  Got news for you, Wolves can and do kill humans.  Once they kill them they eat them.  I live in Fairbanks Alaska, we have wolves all around us. 

A few years ago there was a man that liked to cross country ski to Nenana, down the Tanana river.  he would ski down river one day and return the next.  He was an older man and lived alone.  One Monday morning he did not show up for work.  His fellow workers reported him missing.  the State Troopers sent out a chopper looking for him.  About 1/3d of the way down river to Nenana, they saw blood on the snow.  Due to the river not being safe for the chopper to land and brush along the banks they called for ground teams to investigate.  Upon arrival the ground crews found blood on the snow and ice of the river.  They followed the blood trail, and started finding things like his ski poles and skis.  His back pack, clothing items.  Then they started finding human parts.  All they found was bits of hair, large chunks of skin, and bones.  Enough to determine he had been attacked and eaten by wolves. 

The following year a report of a teacher missing in Chignik, Alaska came in.  Then the report that parts of her had been found along a jogging trail.  Troopers and Fish and Game biologist were sent to Chignik to investigate.  I know the biologist that was sent.  From the tracks, he determined that the teacher was out jogging alone.  Wolves attacked her and knocked her down.  She fought them and was able to get up and run.  The wolves knocked her down a second time.  This time there was a lot of blood and signs of quite a struggle.  She was able to fight her way up and run again.  The wolves gave chase.  The third time, she was not able to fight them off.  There was a struggle and she was eventually killed.  She was eaten, and parts of her were dragged away.  The biologist set up a stand and killed several wolves that returned to the location.  Necropsies were performed and it was determined the wolves that were killed had actually eaten her. 

For several weeks the people of Chignik were harrassed by wolves.  The wolves came into town and chased people as they were getting into their vehicles.  The people in Chignik are fishermen, not hunters.  But finally the people took it on themselves to rid themselves of the problem.  They shot the wolves.

In both cases the environmental groups here in Fairbanks claimed, "No one saw them attack, kill, and eat those people so it can not be documented.

The year of the first attack on the skier, I had taken an old high school buddy and his wife up to the Arctic Circle on the Haul Rd.  (Dalton Highway, or Ice Road to you folks).  All that is there is a sign and an outhouse.  The day after we were there a lady driving to Deadhorse stopped at the outhouse.  As she left her car she was attacked by a wolf.  She was able to fight it off and run to the outhouse.  On the way the wolf tried to hamstring her.  Bitting and slashing her rump.  The woman was trapped in the outhouse.  The wolf laid down outside the door.  Every time the woman peeked outside the wolf would charge the door.  Finally after two hours a truck pulled in.  The man driving the truck tried to hit the wolf with his truck, chasing it off.  He noticed it was a lactating female.  After he pulled up and went to the outhouse the woman came out.  She was shakey and suffering exhaustion due to loss of blood, and being trapped for so long.  The couple drove her to Coldfoot so she could be flown to Fairbanks for medical attention.

The following day a group of bicyclist were riding south on the highway.  As they approched the Arctic Circle rest stop, a wolf attacked one of the men riding a bike.  The guy tried to kick the wolf, then was trying to outrun it on the bike.  A trucker driving south saw what was happening and swerved his Semi hitting and killing the wolf.  On examination this wolf was a young male, not the same wolf that had attacked the woman the day before.

These are four documented cases of wolf attacks where people were injured, or killed.  Three years ago I was riding my snow machine in the Tanana Flats with some friends.  We were out hunting shed antlers.  We came around a corner in the trail and a big Gray Wolf was standing in the trail, 100 yards away.  This wolf did not run, it stood it's ground growling at us.  We stopped and I went to the back of my snow machine and opened a Kolpin case and pulled out a .223.  I knelt down and put a bullet in his chest.  A 55gr Speer spire point.  The wolf turned and ran.  My second shot hit him just behind the right shoulder.  This caused the wolf to go into high gear.  We followed that wolf for three miles before it dropped.  That caused me to determine a .223 is just not enough gun for wolves.  I now carry a 25-06 during the winter.   

There is numerous accounts of people being attacked and killed by wolves here in Alaska.  Two years ago we had a pack move into the North Pole area.  The first word of them being in the neighborhood was when they killed and ate a Golden Retriever, about a mile from my house.  the next night they were reported attacking and killing another dog in the same area.  Then things got quite for a few days.  My wife woke me up because our Beagles were going off over something outside.  I looked out the bedroom window and saw four wolves in my neighbors back yard.  The neighbor had an Austrailian sheppard/husky mix in a dog house in his yard.  There was a wolf on top of the dog house, one on each side, and one pulling the chain in front of the dog house.  That wolf was trying to pull the dog out of the house so the other three could get hold of it.  I ran into the den a grabbed a Remington pump rifle.  I shot the one on top of the dog house with a 30-06.  Then I was able to hit another one, before they started running.  While I was doing this my wife called the neighbor and told him to go to his front doot with a rifle.  As they came around his house and started out his drive way he got another one, but saw two more running up the street.  The following night they got into a dog yard and killed a bunch of chained sled dogs.  A few night later someone was able to shoot two more.  Then there were reports of a single wolf running around.  At one point this single wolf grabbed a little dog and started running away with it.  The owner a not too bright young man, gave chase.  the dog was fighting and causing the wolf to keep stopping.  The young man was able to catch up and beat the wolf with a stick.  The wolf dropped the dog and ran off.  Then a report came in the wolf was moving down the Tanana river towards Fairbanks.  Then someone reported shooting a single wolf in the Rosie Creek area downstream of Fairbanks.  We have had no Wolf reports near out homes since.

Last September two men were out hunting Moose.  They stopped their 4-wheelers and walked to an area to glass.  As they turned to walk back to their wheelers a pack of wolves came down the hill.  The men thought this is so cool.  Suddenly the men realized the wolves were cutting them off from their wheelers.  Their rifles were on the machines.  When the wolves started spreading out and surrounding the men they realized they were in trouble, this is no longer cool.  One of the men had his pistol on his belt, he pulled it and fired several shots into the air (dumb move).  At that point the wolves ran off, luckily.

Every year we hear stories about wolf encounters.  We shoot a bunch of them each year, and at $400.00 a pelt for a good taxidermy quality pelt it can be lucrative.  We also have teams that shoot them from airplanes.  Trapper and Hunters hardly make a dent in the wolf population.  It's the aerial gunners that cut down on the numbers.  Wolves are smart, they know how to hide and when to move to new areas.  A White Wolf brought $1,200.00 last year, a Blue wolf brought $1,400.00

My friend Coke Wallace is the only person that I know who can call wolves in close enough to shoot.  When I try calling they go the other way.  I like to find Caribou herds, and follow the herds.  Wolves are always following the Caribou.  This calls for long shots, when there are no trees around to hide behind you have to take the shot you get.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline FPH

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »
Yes, they are a threat, why do you think our Grandfathers spent so much time and effort to kill them all off? It is only a matter of time before a few tree huggers become Wolf snacks.    Larry

Our grandfathers hunted them for pelts and the money the pelts  brought ( like us)  There has been only one documented case of a fatal wolf attack, and only one more case of a wolf attack.  The killing took place in Alaska and the the other in the lower 48 States.  Enough of the anecdotal evidence and scare tactics.   Wild dogs are more dangerous. get a grip.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
Where wolves, coyotes, wild dogs,or bears exist, a person is an idiot to venture out in the woods without a firearm.  especially if you have a child with you.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »

Our grandfathers hunted them for pelts and the money the pelts  brought ( like us)  There has been only one documented case of a fatal wolf attack, and only one more case of a wolf attack.  The killing took place in Alaska and the the other in the lower 48 States.  Enough of the anecdotal evidence and scare tactics.   Wild dogs are more dangerous. get a grip.

FPH,
 Thats kinda harsh, remember, Roger LIVES in the wilds of Alaska... He has a better "grip"on this topic than the majority of guys commenting here... Want scare tactics, read his story on spending the night in a wooden shed with a Grizz killing a moose INCHES from one wall... ::)

I'll say this. the hatred and fear of wolves is DEEP seated. Some thing brought to this country with its earliest settlers. Back in the time of no laws and only villages of people  working together and cropping up for safety from such creatures. Wanna guess how many UNDOCUMENTED killings occured thru time? I'll tell you thin, just ONE or TWO is laughable...

Do they deserve to be wiped off the face of the earth? Do they deserve to be killed on site? I don't have any here in the east. I do have Coyotes, I don't make it my life's ambition to kill every one, but when hunting I will shoot every one I can.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline FPH

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 04:04:53 AM »
Sorry if I came across as harsh.  I just felt the "facts" should be decimated.  With all the Wolf haters and fear mongers out there I think they would be screaming at the remote possibility that someone was attacked by wolves ( just two?)  I have no problem harvesting legal limits 0f any animal, but the facts speak for themselves.  We had a lady killed by Pitbulls a few months ago, and another case of 3 pits  mauling a man last week.  However, I have taken in pits until I could find homes for them. They have proven to be very sweet and loving dogs, but they get a bad rap as a group.

Sourdough  isn't the only one who has seen what a Griz can do up close and personal .He does live and enjoy a great environment.  He also sounds like he has a great deal of experience.  However, the facts are the facts as I have said.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 06:54:09 AM »
FPH, where did you get your information?  I got mine from the local paper when the incident happened.  And from the State Biologist that went to the scenes, and did the investigations.  It might take some time but I can get you the names of both people, the old man skiing, and the young school teacher.  That's two in recent years.  And I am sure if one wanted to go back a few years one could find more.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:39:47 AM »
First- There are no documented cases of pure bred Pitbulls killing anyone, pitbull crosses and other breeds claimed to be Pitbulls have commited the crime, but I have never seen where a pure bred pit has ever harmed anyone!

Second- Sourdough must be mistaken in his post, because we all have heard the stats on the wolf and if what he posted was true, then the stats are not. Living in AK and having first hand experience with them, probably carries little weight.

Third- John Wayne Gayce never harmed a sole, until they started finding the bodies under his house!

Please! the wolf is neither innocent nor is he guilty, he is an animal that is trying to survive. Given the right circumstances and opportunity, I can not believe that he would not snack on little Joey or big Jim!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »
I don't think you should fear any animal but it's  certainly wise to be aware of what they can do and, if you have to be around one, be prepared just in case. Animals don't read stats!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
  Well, i lived in Alaska for 25 years, all of them around wolves.  My opinion has not changed since i spent time with them, and it is to shoot every once of them i can!

I find it amazing that the fact when a native has been killed by a wolf in Alaska, it didn't happen because someone in the lower 48 said it didn't!  Over the years, lots of things happen there that never got reported, or verified by someone in the lower 48.  That includes things that happen to me, and things that i saw happen with my own eyes.

DM

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
If I was concerned with woves chomping on me, I don't think I'd live in Alaska. 
More humans have been attacked by whitetail deer than wolves.  Lots of cases of that on tape.  I reckon it's best just to not go outside. 

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
  I wasn't concerned about it at all, i shot every one of them i could.

Worked for me!

DM

Offline FPH

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »
FPH, where did you get your information?  I got mine from the local paper when the incident happened.  And from the State Biologist that went to the scenes, and did the investigations.  It might take some time but I can get you the names of both people, the old man skiing, and the young school teacher.  That's two in recent years.  And I am sure if one wanted to go back a few years one could find more.

Internet.....we all know everything on the internet is true!!!!.......I apologize if I am wrong.

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
I don't think you should fear any animal but it's  certainly wise to be aware of what they can do and, if you have to be around one, be prepared just in case. Animals don't read stats! (by Spirithawk)

I agree, and I have no qualms about defending myself.

Offline FPH

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
First- There are no documented cases of pure bred Pitbulls killing anyone, pitbull crosses and other breeds claimed to be Pitbulls have commited the crime, but I have never seen where a pure bred pit has ever harmed anyone!

Second- Sourdough must be mistaken in his post, because we all have heard the stats on the wolf and if what he posted was true, then the stats are not. Living in AK and having first hand experience with them, probably carries little weight.

Third- John Wayne Gayce never harmed a sole, until they started finding the bodies under his house!

Please! the wolf is neither innocent nor is he guilty, he is an animal that is trying to survive. Given the right circumstances and opportunity, I can not believe that he would not snack on little Joey or big Jim!

Heck, I don't know if we have any "pure" Pitbulls out here.  Just a lot of dogs bred for machismo fighting bragging rights. Like I said every Pitbull types that I have cared for has been sweet and hard to let go.

Sourdough, the death I came across up in Alaska, was reported to be a teacher killed in 2010.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
I thought the original post wanted information from people who had lived amongst the wolves, not opinions from people who have probably never seen one except maybe in a zoo. I don't know how more factual Sourdough could have been.

Surely we all know by now that the press doesn't print stories that doesn't fit their version of reality.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 01:15:56 AM »
I know!  We can ask Red Riding Hood.  She was really scared of them.  With good reason.  I don't know how she got the nerve to go into the scary dark woods by herself. 

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 04:26:37 AM »
I know!  We can ask Red Riding Hood.

Yup, got to actually.   :-\  The dang wolf done et Granny!   ;D

Hey!  Did y'all know sharks don't actually want to attack people!   :o  That fairytale JAWS movie got folk all stirred up against them!   >:(  They really got a bad rap.  Poor beautiful creatures just trying to survive... They only eat people because they think we're seals!   :'(

'course there are some folk who would say it doesn't matter why they look at people as pray, the fact that they do is sufficient for...   :-\

;) ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 04:49:40 AM »
if you don't believe Red then ask the three little pigs .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !