Author Topic: Wolves really a threat?  (Read 9391 times)

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Wolves really a threat?
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
That's a you problem.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
but it means  i don't have borderline dis order according to mike
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline FPH

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »
but it means  i don't have borderline dis order according to mike

touche

Offline FPH

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
I have a fondness for Shepards.  My experience is the opposite of yours.  My little Sister ( 11 at the time) was being attacked by a man his late 20's.  The dog heard her cries and broke and jumped through 2 glass doors to get to her and free her.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
Ah German Shepherds you either love them or hate them.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
wolves, shepherds, and personality disorders... pass the popcorn

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2012, 12:34:07 AM »
 What’s more dangerous?

A wolf or a shrink trying to separate you from your hard earned money by suggesting you may have a lifetime borderline personality disorder with no known cause, and no cure - treatment is counseling and medicine throughout your lifetime, but you are not to blame, as you can't help it. 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:45 AM »

« Reply #67 on: Today at 07:34:07 AM »

people with borderline disorder really a threat??

why  should they be shot on sight?

[size=0.85em][/r]
[/font][/size][/size
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2012, 04:20:45 AM »
DM, seems I have inadvertently given you an out, as you can now save face by not answering.  You state you won't respond to a demand requiring an answer.  You win, albeit by default. 

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2012, 04:41:07 AM »

« Reply #67 on: Today at 07:34:07 AM »people with borderline disorder really a threat??
why  should they be shot on sight?
[size=0.85em][/r]
[/font][/size][/size

You probably misinterpreted or misread my post somehow, as I asked a question – and that was;  which is most dangerous, the wolf or a shrink and then I went on to explain the possible danger of the shrink and how they might convince you into giving them your hard earned money. 

Just a bit of warped humor on my part – nothing more.

Offline FPH

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2012, 04:42:10 AM »
What about you answering my inquiry Mike.  How are you qualified as an expert.

Offline FPH

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2012, 09:37:56 AM »
"Please preset you credentials and the University that you earned those credentials at."
FPH, did you really say that?  Where did I earn my credentials at?  Can't you see that wherever or however I earned my credentials was a far higher learning facility than you attended.  You send me a copy of your GED and I'll send you a copy of my credentials.   

I have a BS from Texas A & M.  I am the lone wolf as I am surrounded by family with Doctorates and both my Dad was and my wife is considered an expert witness by the courts.  I am very familiar with the process.  Quit dancing around the question and answer it. I smell a BSer wannabe in you Mike. .   

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »
Heh, proper use of a preposition makes one "all knowing".  Wow, wish I had known that earlier in life!  ;D   (poking at you in fun Mike, don't get hot and bothered)

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
Fair enough, FPH.  I have a doctorate from John Hopkins.  I applied my education badly toward a career at a state clinic established to assist victims with various mental disorders, most of whom who did not actually have mental disorders other than the sort they embedded into their own brains by drug abuse.  Not the kind of work I'd dreamed of, and unrewarding in the extreme.  I left that hell hole to work as a beginner in a private psychological practice.  That didn't work for me either, as the compensation was far less than sufficient.  I actually received a raise when I gained a positiion as a uniformed state police officer.  I worked on the highway as a trooper, then a sergeant, but most of my career has been as an agent in a criminal behavioral unit, which consisted of not much more than creating profiles of offenders not yet identified.  I've long since retired, and have forgotten vast amounts of what I once knew about personality disorders.  However, I still have the text books and can easily answer any question you might have about your's or DM's troubles.  Retired, I don't have to worry about offending folks. 

What all this has to do with killing wolves I do not know.   

Offline FPH

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
text deleted

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »
text deleted by Dougk who has a Masters Degree from The Johns Hopkins University.

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »
Im FINE. F.I.N.E Just wanted to get that out of the way. I really like beagles but now have a funny looking terrier mix. They're descended from wolves, you know. I'm about 60. When I was 10 he ran into the neighbor girl's house and retrieved a much treasured garment for me. Good dog. Come on guys, geeze!? Maybe I'll start a new thread, "Scared of Snakes?" They say we lose our sense of humor when we need it the most.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »
  I guess we should keep a few wolves and coyotes around, you never know when you will need a couple!

DM

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
I know, tturner.  These things sometimes get way off course.  I often regret that I can't not leave things alone.  A wise man walks away from what he cannot change.   
But concerning the snakes you mentioned, in the late 70's I was fishing alone in a boat on a lake.  Ran out of bait about noon on Sunday.  Tied the boat to a tree and followed a small stream into the mountain looking for bait.  Turning over rocks to find lizards.  I turned one rock with my right hand, and brought that hand back.  There lay a lizard.  I reached to get him and got struck on the hand near the thumb by a small rattlesnake.  He had let me reach over him the first time to turn over the rock, but the second reach prooved too much for his patience.  It felt like I'd been hit with a hammer.  Even though my hand was moving very fast to grab the lizard, he still got me.  The snake slithered away but I followed to make certain what had bitten me.  It was indeed a timber rattler, but not big.  Probably about a foot long.  I was a bit surprised, because the timber rattlers I've encountered in the past were not near water.  I backed away from him, sit upon a log and cut the wound open with my pocket knife.  In the awful fear of the moment, I felt the cutting not at all.  One of his fangs had gone deep, the other not so much.  I sucked blood and crud from the wound and spit it out.  Made myself walk back to the boat, then gave it full throttle all the way back to the dock, which a boater at that lake is not supposed to do.  The dock attenant came running out of his shack to fuss at me, but I leaped from the boat not even taking time to tie her off.  "Snake!" I screamed and got in my truck.  I figured if a trooper stopped me, he would know me as a brother, and make sure I got there all the sooner.  The ER was about 25 miles away.  By the time I got there the hand was swelling and my thinking blurry.  Nurses helped me inside where I quickly told my story. 
I live through that, with only a slight bit of nerve damage.  But after release, my hand swelled up like a football.  Somedays later a fever took me and blood poison was starting up my arm, a wide red streak.  In my fevered delerium, I didn't recognize the problem.  It got to my shoulder before someone told me what that meant.  Back to the ER and a stay at the hospital for anitibiotics. 
I hated and feared snakes after that, which I knew was a merely a mental defect brought on by a single occurrence.  I had nightmares of stepping into water where there were hundreds of snakes.  So, based on what I'd been taught about mental trauma, I went to a stream noted for its water snakes.  Non-poisonous.  I was in my 20's that summer and couldn't see going back to college with irrational fears.  I waded the icky places until I found one.  I don't know what he was, fat and brown, but too far west to be a moccassin.  Upon being disturbed, he immediately headed across the shallow stream.  Chased him down and picked him up.  Handled him a while until my horror subsided.  I did that 2 more times within 2 days.  I still get scared when I see a wide-bodied snake, but I don't panic anymore. 
lt's like most anything else in life that we fear.  Once you face it and let it do it's worst, it ain't so bad.   
I conquered my fear of heights in a similar fashion, but that's another story. 
It would be difficult to relate such experiences to fear of wolves, as I don't know how one might approach a wolf that didn't immeditely run away.  Perhaps we need to drive all the way to Alaska to find the really scary ones.   

Offline Bubber

• Avid Poster
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »
I don't have a disorder, boarderline or deep seated. I am just an ***hole.

I don't like any dogs, Shepards or chuahauas,  because they they cause me a great deal of annoyance and severly chap a part of my anatomy. I don't like most people for the same reason.

I would shoot a wolf, 1, if it was chomping on livestock, or 2, because they are a huntable species and if I paid my money to fur and feathers I have the legal ability.

forget fear or the balance of nature. All the education in the world. Facts and emotion cannot be confused. I hunt, fish, trap, farm and have a college education. People argueing either entertain or irritates me. This thread was a little of both. I stand by my opinion in my first post. I don't care what people think of me or my opinions and for that reason a lot of these threads irritate the crap out of me.

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »
OK, I give up. This a psycho analysis thread now. I'm scared to death of being scared to death. Doc? A little help? Also, people with thin lips make me nervous.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »
I guess all this individualized personality disorder stuff points out that the only thing that really matters is what an individual perceives...  :-\  Can a individual's perception relating to the danger posed by wolves be based on the fact that wolves can and have taken the life of a human being.  [Yup, they have... proof they have killed an eaten people has been presented here.  Proof as valid as any required to... say for example, validate ones qualifications to offer an opinion.   ;) ]

With that one bit of proof a person can be justified in feeling that wolves are "really a threat."  Maybe not much of one when compared to certain bears, but a real threat nontheless!   ;D   Therefore the individual's perception is valid; period.  The matter of how much of a threat is another matter altogether; a matter of degrees if you will. (hee hee hee!  degrees!  get it!?  chuckle...)  :D

And I'm glad the discussion morphed into personality disorders!  That is not a bad word!  Well, two words actually...  :-[  The truth be known, more then likely we all could be classified as having one disorder or another!   ::)

Take me for example.  For most of my life I thought I was just a violent person by nature...  There was no hope for me!   :'(   Then, with the help of people trained in PD's, I now believe I am simply a psychotic with a chemical imbalance!   :o  Pop a couple of anti-homocide drugs in the morning and I'm good to go all day!   ;D

Sure wish they still gave shock treatments though.   :-\

;) :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline FPH

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »
Let's be wise and walk away.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
OMG... and this is about Wolves HOW???  We are IONS away form ON TOPIC...  :(

I think this has run its coarse... Maybe time to close this one...

It's about tapped out...

Where is the mod around here anyway???  :o :-\

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
OMG... and this is about Wolves HOW???  We are IONS away form ON TOPIC...  :(

I think this has run its coarse... Maybe time to close this one...

It's about tapped out...

Where is the mod around here anyway???  :o :-\

CW

Now waitwaitwait!  Ol' Mike has got me to doin some a that deep intro-spection stuff!  And that be good for the sole I hear!

Sides the man say
Do you know that less than .5% of all persons suffering a mental disorder can recognize it, even after being told?

Now, people been tellin me I be crazy for years!  And I never did believe them!   :o  So, if the man be right on that I think, as if anyone cares what I think, the rest of what he says deserves consideration! 

and
no one is violent by nature.  The violence they do is caused by a much deeper problem.

See!  He right again!  I wasn't violent by nature!  (please refer back to the paragraph above...)

Wait.  If you're looking for a free diagnosis, I am neither inclined or qualified to give you one.

Shoot my "Brother in Law"   ;)  I think you already did!   ;D  Don't make no nevermind noways... you said it
I'd say you should be concerned.
I believe it and have formed my opinion of myself based on it!   :-\  Strange though... I never felt like I had any problems...  :'(   I just try to do what I'm paid for, don't mess with other folk unless they mess with me, enjoy myself doin what I like to do, like riding my bike with my Club brothers and...   :-\   and...  ???   HEY!  Isn't there another post!?   >:(   

;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
Do we have any wolves as members of GB who would care to offer an unbiased opinion?  No?  Then I guess I will take the word of the people who live with and amongst them.  Unless they migrate really far South, it shouldn't be a problem for me..... ;D
Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »
Seriously, I apologize for my earlier sarcasm toward you.

Okay, one last thing.  You have nothing to apologize for and no one to apologise to.  Least of all me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic or, "How to quit worrying and love the wolf!"  ::)

I agree with Ben.  And I pity any misguided bunny hugger who even mentions reintroducing wolves into Jawja!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
When and if wolves should show up in my neck of the woods I'll then decide how I feel about them. Untill such time I'll simply leave it to those who do live with them to make up their own minds. I doub't they need my input to do so. Besides, my input would be no more than opinion, versus their experiences, and we all know what is said about opinions and rightly so. ;)

Online JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:06 AM »
Back to the original topic, are wolves really a threat?  I say yes, since I know of a number of instances where wolves have attacked humans.  In fact, there was one in the news yesterday:  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_WOLF_KILLER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-11-13-07-03-43

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Bubber

• Avid Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »
I dated a psycologist for a while. Nice enough gal, decent cook, Pretty face. Shortly befor we parted company she told me my only problem was I was a self absorbed ***hole. So I have been professionally diagnosed.

I am still not worried in the least about wolves in regard to my personal safty. I do wory about them because I am a livestock man and would love to have a tanned one on my wall.

I wish I had a bike too.