Author Topic: Wolves really a threat?  (Read 9394 times)

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Wolves really a threat?
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
I dated a psycologist for a while..... she told me my only problem was I was a self absorbed ***hole. So I have been professionally diagnosed.

Is that technical, professional psychologist terminology?  Is a$$hole-ism a personality disorder?  Is it something I might be seeking 'disabled' status for?  Because it's been mentioned that I may be one myself.

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
I think the new professional word for it is "toxic people". I'm not making that up, saw it on a paper for mediators. As in 'dealing with toxic people'. It's code for @*&^%ole. I'm working up a wolf load now for my .243 H&R. You never know. Use enough gun.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »
good  point

no one so far has suggested a good  WOLF LOAD

i would think any deer  load  but i am just quessing

making your 243  borderline....[like the disorder]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
large dogs are not what I call easy to kill at range. (more than 50 yards)  243 will work, but may not be as quick acting as desired.  Now close in, yup that'll do nicely! 

This is just an opinionated guess based on stray dogs being removed from cattle chasing and calf killing activities.  Dogs weighing 60 to 80 pounds ranges from 30 to 350 yards.  25'06 worked well when stoked to 3,100 fps (87 grain bullets) velocities below 2,800 fps did not perform that well. 
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2012, 02:24:54 AM »
  There's isn't a dog/wolf alive that i can't easily kill with my .243, loaded with 85 grain or heavier bullets, and that's as far away as i can hit them.

My personal favorite is a 700 Rem. action that Parker Ackley made a bbl. for, and installed for me, it's 26" long and chambered for .240 Wby...

I had him put this together for just the above purpose and it's been deadly with 85NP's, that i also used for Sitka blk. tailed deer in the temporate rain forest.  I'm now using my .240 for whitetails loaded with 100NP's, and given any decent shot it works VERY well on them.

DM

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
DM, how do you prepare wolf meat?  Fry it?  Ummm ummm.  Fried wolf.

any good coyote recipe  will do

some freinds  were at a philpino frends house
he said the bar-b-q  dalmation was great
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
DM, how do you prepare wolf meat?  Fry it?  Ummm ummm.  Fried wolf.

Naaaa, i like to leave them with the guts in, out in the sun for a few days.  At that point they are tender enough to eat without cooking!  YUMMIE!!

DM

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2012, 04:50:21 AM »
  BTW, NOPE, wolves don't kill people!!

http://www.adn.com/2011/12/06/2205617/dna-samples-confirm-wolves-killed.html

I'm betting the "Berner family" would give anything to have had ME along that road that day with my 240!!

DM

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2012, 06:31:12 AM »
i like this guy.....but  that  is funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Zv8pOxASs&feature=fvwp&NR=1

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Geeze, take a break.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 03:17:30 AM »
  Hey Mike, ya gotta learn when to but the brewskies down!!  lol

DM

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
     Do you need to carry a handgun concealed for everyday protection from are fellow mankind, probably not?But I try to! Think of wolves the same way, most of the time you will never need it but there's allways that chance. I'd rather have a handgun than a stick, when mr wolf comes to dinner. They are a part of our ecosystem and I believe there here to stay but I don't really want them in my back yard. I've never seen one in the wild but have been to yellowstone area and seen there handy work on the big game population, From what I've read about past and present  they could make short work of a human, these aren't your common domesticated canine, they go for the kill not just a nip your leg or arm.
     woods

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2012, 04:43:44 AM »
Okay, DM.  How about this?  Let me have the last say, and we can let this thing die.  Here 'tis.  I'm right and you ain't.
The fact you said it does not make it so. Try to remember that. Reading academic studies and real world experience are different.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2012, 05:20:08 AM »
     Do you need to carry a handgun concealed for everyday protection from are fellow mankind, probably not?But I try to! Think of wolves the same way, most of the time you will never need it but there's allways that chance. I'd rather have a handgun than a stick, when mr wolf comes to dinner. They are a part of our ecosystem and I believe there here to stay but I don't really want them in my back yard. I've never seen one in the wild but have been to yellowstone area and seen there handy work on the big game population, From what I've read about past and present  they could make short work of a human, these aren't your common domesticated canine, they go for the kill not just a nip your leg or arm.
     woods

Good post!

Mod, This post is about played out..... Don't ya think' ;)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Okay, DM.  How about this?  Let me have the last say, and we can let this thing die.  Here 'tis.  I'm right and you ain't.

Hey Mike,

You go see if you get the "Berner family" to agree with you, and then come back and talk to me...

They lost a daughter to wolves attacking and killing her, and then eating part of her, guess that proves who was right, right there!  YOU need to think about that a bit!

DM

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »
I got a ? why wouldn't a hungry wolf eat a human ? An old one or injured one even more so. From time to time people eat people so why wouldn't a wolf ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2012, 05:58:19 AM »
I got a ? why wouldn't a hungry wolf eat a human ? An old one or injured one even more so. From time to time people eat people so why wouldn't a wolf ?

Because your being rational. ;)  At this point, for MiV it's more about the argument, than the point of the post. ;) ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
people fears are not germane to the  topic

of coarse a wolf is a threat..........to what degree  is a matter of opinion

any one says  ''a wolf   poses no threat''  is just plain stupid
any one that says  ''..wolves are the  primary threat''...might live in a  different part of the country

the degree  of threat   is proportional to your location  and perception

as  far  as  carry protection.....but  not for  wolves??
what   is meant by that?

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:03 AM »
some  seem to have a fear of not getting the last word

quick.....MODERATOR!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Yes.  All I want is the last word, but it's not just me that cant let this go.  So, I'll be back. 
A starving wolf, or a starving anything, is not predictable.  I never said a wolf wouldn't attack a person under extreme conditions.  A mentally defective rabbit might do the same.  My statements addresses the opening question of this thread.  "No.  Woves are not a threat that warrants carrying a weapon."  Of course you want a weapon anytime anywhere, but  not to protect yourself against wolves.  Mechanic and DM disagree because they are insecure, not just about wolves, but in general.  That's easy to see. 
We all have insecurities that have grown inside us.  We all have developed unreasonble fears.  Fear of heights, relationships, snakes and bugs, fear of almost anything you can imagine.  I say that if you are afraid of being attacked by wolves, carry a gun when you are where they are.  You will better enjoy yourself if you know you can shoot at the thing that scares you the most.  Unreasonable in the extreme, but that's okay as long as you feel safe.  It's a terrible thing to be afraid.  Therapy can help, but not much.  Just take your gun with you, even if you're just going to Florida.  The wolf you hope is not under your bed may very well be in Orlando.  Be prepared.

I would ask how does one know he will not meet a unsoicable wolf with handi-caps that would make him in the extreame condition ? same for bad guys , snakes or even combat bunny ?
Those of us who tote a weapon be it gun or what ever don't think every breathing critter or man is a threat we tote on the out side chance we run into that one looking to cause trouble.
BTW why do we need a reason to carry our guns ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »
Yes.  All I want is the last word, but it's not just me that cant let this go.  So, I'll be back. 
A starving wolf, or a starving anything, is not predictable.  I never said a wolf wouldn't attack a person under extreme conditions.  A mentally defective rabbit might do the same.  My statements addresses the opening question of this thread.  "No.  Woves are not a threat that warrants carrying a weapon."  Of course you want a weapon anytime anywhere, but  not to protect yourself against wolves.  Mechanic and DM disagree because they are insecure, not just about wolves, but in general.  That's easy to see. 
We all have insecurities that have grown inside us.  We all have developed unreasonble fears.  Fear of heights, relationships, snakes and bugs, fear of almost anything you can imagine.  I say that if you are afraid of being attacked by wolves, carry a gun when you are where they are.  You will better enjoy yourself if you know you can shoot at the thing that scares you the most.  Unreasonable in the extreme, but that's okay as long as you feel safe.  It's a terrible thing to be afraid.  Therapy can help, but not much.  Just take your gun with you, even if you're just going to Florida.  The wolf you hope is not under your bed may very well be in Orlando.  Be prepared.

I would ask how does one know he will not meet a unsoicable wolf with handi-caps that would make him in the extreame condition ? same for bad guys , snakes or even combat bunny ?
Those of us who tote a weapon be it gun or what ever don't think every breathing critter or man is a threat we tote on the out side chance we run into that one looking to cause trouble.
BTW why do we need a reason to carry our guns ?
The old cliche still stands......"Better to have and not need than to need and not have!" I agree Shootall. I don't carry expecting to shoot someone nor some thing. I carry because I am perfectly aware the chance I "might" have to is always there. That being said it only makes sense to carry something up to any job that might arise within reason. I'd carry an M-60 but just can't figure how to conceal it! ;)

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
According to Mike's logic, I have an irrational fear of my house burning just because I keep a couple of extinguishers around.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2012, 03:57:28 AM »
Be aware they have the same sort of laws regarding idiots here in Mn. Witness the many pictures of Al Franken on billboards shortly after having moved back.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2012, 07:37:14 AM »
gotch ya

bunnies are really a threat....at some level

so  are grass hoppers and flies

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »
No argument about flies.   If you are familiar with the Outer Banks of NC, you know about the big bridge that takes you south out of Nags Head to Hatteras Island.  Before the storms messed it up, there was a pond between the surf and the sound--right at the north end of the bridge.  If you've driven southward across that bridge, you saw the pond on your left. 
Early in the morning, I would go there with a fly rod and wade a ways from the grass to catch sea trout an puppy drum.  Great fun, except the long grass harbored huge black flies that brought blood when they bit.  Horrible things, those flies.  No matter how much bug spray you applied, the devils would follow you out in the water and attack.  I learned to wear long sleeves and a had, but they still got to my face and hands.  I'm still not certain it was worth the fish.  So, yes, some creatures we might not think of as agressive enough to require toting a gun, but they are there. 
Not too many years ago a racoon wanted a chunk of my hide while I was bowhunting.  Another time, a small rattlesnake got me on the right hand while I was trying to get some lizards out of a mountain stream to use for bait.  No fun at all, and a gun would have at least given me some revenge.  Maybe not.  It scared me so bad I probably would not have been able to hit him.  Still another time, I put my shoe on a a "dead" gray squirrel to remove my arrow.  He chewed up the end of my tennis shoe before running off with the arrow.     
All sacrcasm and hateful talk aside, I'm the first one to say you should have a gun all the time. 
Now, if I ain't made too many people mad these last few days, I'm outta here and will make an ass of myself on some other thread. 

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2012, 03:19:24 AM »
I have watched this, donnybrook with great interest.Reasoned arguments have been made, counterpoints offered, and thru it all   I came away amazed that Mike in Virginia is so correct. If you do not believe  it ,just ask him  ::) ::) Mike I agree with the fishing tome, I was born and raised in Va Beach.I miss the fishing, but not the flies,chiggers and ticks.  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »
Hey, I'm not right, hardly ever.  I just get carried away.  I like to hear myself type.  I like arguments that can't be won.  I like saying crap that no one else will agree with just to see the fireworks and get a chance to hear myself some more.  I am the one with the personality disorder.  I'm the person who has never seen a wolf,  dead or alive.  As this thread goes the way of others I've kept open way too  long, I go with no ill thoughts toward anyone. 
You know what else?  Even after a career as a cop, and even after the stuff I stir up, my one true desire is to leave this world with no enemies. 
God bless all of you.   

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »
you have   scored  more  ''troll points''   on this one thread than i have all month

you are still an armature  compared to swampy

sorry   i am can't call you am amateur here..LOL

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
I am locking this thread.

It amazes me how we can argue with each other and miss the real threat to our life style.  The threat is not us its the people that want to take away our right to carry and own firearms.