Author Topic: primer question ?  (Read 916 times)

Offline carlsflh

• Trade Count: (3)
primer question ?
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »
is it ok  to use rem 61/2 small rifle primers in 223 loads ? i went to cabelas today to get some powder and primers to load some 223 i wanted rem 71/2 primers thats what the load manual stated for the 50G bullets and ir 3031 powder they were out of the 71/2 benchrest primers and the sales guy said i could use the 61/2 instead  was he correct? thanks  also i'm loading them for my 14" contender

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: primer question ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »
Good morning!
 YES they will work in a handi if your not pushing the envilope with top loadings...  I too prefer the Match primer thou...  ::)

Here is a link with more info on primers.. ;)

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:37:45 AM »
Remington warns against using the 6 1/2 primers in the 17 Rem, 222 Rem, & 223. The 6 1/2 primers are not as thick. The 6 1/2 primers are for the 22 Hornet.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:35:34 AM »
Remington warns against using the 6 1/2 primers in the 17 Rem, 222 Rem, & 223. The 6 1/2 primers are not as thick. The 6 1/2 primers are for the 22 Hornet.

I clicked the rem site on this and they actually list 223 after 6 1/2  primer.

I agree they are thin BUT no thinner then the CCI400's! ;)

Keep pressures normal to lo side of normal and you will be fine. ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline carlsflh

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »
this will be my first atempt at loading bottleneck cart [i've loaded thousands of handgun cart.in the last 35 years]so i'm going to use starting and mid load specs.i was trying to use exactly the same  componits that my contender loading manual listed .till yesterday i didn't realise how much extra work there is to prepair  bottle neck cart. i deprimed ,fl sized, trimed ,cleaned primer pockets and chamfered 100 cases  in the same amount of time i could have reloaded 300+ rounds of 41 mag

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:51 AM »
this will be my first atempt at loading bottleneck cart [i've loaded thousands of handgun cart.in the last 35 years]so i'm going to use starting and mid load specs.i was trying to use exactly the same  componits that my contender loading manual listed .till yesterday i didn't realise how much extra work there is to prepair  bottle neck cart. i deprimed ,fl sized, trimed ,cleaned primer pockets and chamfered 100 cases  in the same amount of time i could have reloaded 300+ rounds of 41 mag

What???  You didn't turn the necks, uniform primer pockets, remove primer burr, use a spinner to clean up the chamfer, clean inside of neck.  Not to mention weight sort the brass... Probably won't even fire... ;D
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »
    Take Dave in WV word for it. I was useing 6 1/2 primers in my 222 Mag. Pierced primers almost every shot. Switched to 7 1/2.  Problem solved.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
 Interesting , Remington on one chart list 6 1/2 small rifle  and 7 1/2 BR small rifle primers . On another chart  list 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 both as small rifle primers no M or BR . Then Hornady list 6 1/2 as small rifle and 7 1/2 as magnum small rifle. Some will say that M and BR primers are inter changeable others say the difference is more care is used making BR primers .
Bottom line you can call Remington and ask. You can call the company who published your reloading manual.
What is true is different powders react different to different primers and a change in primer can send a load past max pressure or cause incomplete burn. Temp can cause either with certian loads which may cause a loader to think a load safe in cool weather and find it way over max in hot weather ( don't ask how I know this  ::) ) .
Do yourself a big favor and call Remington.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »
 The newer CCI 400's that have a "B" in the lot # are supposed to have thicker bodies.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
If you want thicker get arsenel primers from CCI
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline carlsflh

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
well after calling Remington the guy i talked to said to use 71/2 the 61/2 is for lower pressure rounds like some of you stated he agreed that the info on their website was confusing and that it's susposied to be updated soon as least i only primed 20 cases with the 61/2s i'll have to spray some lube or wd40 in the cases to kill the primers so i can deprime  them  P.S.buckshot quote :What???  You didn't turn the necks, uniform primer pockets, remove primer burr, use a spinner to clean up the chamfer, clean inside of neck.  Not to mention weight sort the brass... Probably won't even fire... ;D  i didn't turn the necks or uniform the primer pockets still have to get those tools i did do the rest you know i might have to put a little powder in to get them to fire :D anyways thanks guys for the help i'm sure i'll have more?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »
well after calling Remington the guy i talked to said to use 71/2 the 61/2 is for lower pressure rounds like some of you stated he agreed that the info on their website was confusing and that it's susposied to be updated soon as least i only primed 20 cases with the 61/2s i'll have to spray some lube or wd40 in the cases to kill the primers so i can deprime  them  P.S.buckshot quote :What???  You didn't turn the necks, uniform primer pockets, remove primer burr, use a spinner to clean up the chamfer, clean inside of neck.  Not to mention weight sort the brass... Probably won't even fire... ;D  i didn't turn the necks or uniform the primer pockets still have to get those tools i did do the rest you know i might have to put a little powder in to get them to fire :D anyways thanks guys for the help i'm sure i'll have more?
We would not steer you wrong!! But I'm glad you got it from the horses mouth! ::) ;) I have been using Remmy primers since my Grandfather showed me reloading when I was just a youngster, loading at the kitchen table when grandma was at church....:)

Buck was just funning ya, he named many things that can be done when loading that many find needless.

Good luck,
CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:52 AM »
Buck was just funning ya, he named many things that can be done when loading that many find needless.

Whew!!!!  I was gett'n nervous!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 04:39:47 AM »

Whew!!!!  I was gett'n nervous!

Yeah, that's the stuff that guys do (me included, sometimes) when chasing their tails for that perfect one hole group...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline carlsflh

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:55:39 AM »

Yeah, that's the stuff that guys do (me included, sometimes) when chasing their tails for that perfect one hole group...
yea i figgered you were poking fun at me and i know i'll probly be chasing that perfect group eventually

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 08:04:53 AM »
Just as a note:  spraying something in the primers won't kill them.  Soaking them in something won't kill them.  You can still deprime, I've done hundreds without accident, just keep in mind there might be a pop and wear face protection.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)