Author Topic: Pot, pervert marriage, death penalty, immigration also on ballot in some states.  (Read 860 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gay-marriage-pot-immigration-ballot-issues/story?id=17574168

Gay Marriage, Pot, Immigration Among Ballot Issues      Voters are shown at a polling station in this file photo. (Getty Images)              By ABBY D. PHILLIP  Oct. 29, 2012 
  The choice between President Obama and Mitt Romney isn't the only one voters will be making on Nov. 6.
Dozens of state-wide ballot questions will be posed to voters, and their implications could reverberate across state lines.

Here are a few of the most controversial initiatives voters may see on their ballots on Nov. 6:
GAY MARRIAGE
One of the most closely watched efforts on the ballot in several states this November relate to gay marriage.
Gay rights advocates see ballot efforts in Maryland, Maine, Washington and Minnesota as crucial to their efforts to expand marriage for gay and lesbian couples.
In the case of Maryland, the marriage initiative on the ballot could be the only successful effort to win the right to marriage in a state by referendum. It is being backed by Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, who is widely believed to be a potential presidential contender in 2016.
In Washington State, a legislative bill legalizing gay marriage is being challenged on the ballot. In Maine, a ballot initiative would overturn the state's ban on gay marriage, and Minnesota voters are being asked to vote on a measure that would create a state constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage.
IMMIGRATION
Another hot-button social issue, immigration, is being determined at the ballot boxes in several states this November.
      Getty Images Voters are shown at a polling station in this... View Full Size    Getty Images Voters are shown at a polling station in this file photo.       He's Undocumented and He Passed the New York Bar Watch Video        Univision's Meet The Candidates forum at the University of Miami Watch Video        Barney Frank at DNC: Mitt Romney Is 'Myth Romney' Watch Video    With Congress stalled on comprehensive immigration reform, several states, including Montana and Maryland, are taking matters into their own hands with legislation that addresses their states' immigrant population.

Another Maryland ballot initiative closely tied to the fate of rising Democratic political star O'Malley is a provision modeled after the so-called "DREAM Act" that would give illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children in-state tuition at state colleges and universities.
In Montana, however, voters will decide on a measure that does the opposite, by requiring proof of citizenship for anyone to receive state benefits.

MARIJUANA
In several other states, voters will have the option to potentially approve legislation that would legalize marijuana for recreational use.
Amendment 64 in Colorado would legalize marijuana for anyone over 21 years old at certain retail stores. Proponents believe the bill could generate millions in revenue for the state government. However marijuana will still be considered illegal by the federal government.
A similar measure is on the ballot in Washington State to legalize small amounts of marijuana for people over 21. In Oregon, voters will approve or reject a measure that would establish a commission to regulate marijuana cultivation and sale in the state.

DEATH PENALTY
While a vast majority of states still legally have a death penalty on the books, several, including Connecticut and Illinois have abolished it in recent years.
Looking to join those states this year is California with a ballot initiative that would end the death penalty. If approved, California would become the 18th state to ban the death penalty.
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Mike in Virginia

California to decide death penalty issue?   In their ruined financial condition, they ought to consider how much it costs to incarcerate a man for life as opposed to getting rid of him altogether.  It seems these days it takes about 10 years to get a person in the chair, which in itself is a terrible draw on the tax payer.  I'm sure whatever California decides, it will be incorrect. 

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
California to decide death penalty issue?   In their ruined financial condition, they ought to consider how much it costs to incarcerate a man for life as opposed to getting rid of him altogether.
They are doing just that, and those numbers are widely available. Aside from the moral problem of trusting the state with the power to kill - I don't trust them - it costs more to do the killin' than to lock them up for life. Now some will complain that's because of the costs of the appeals & apparatus - and they'd be right - but those MUST be in place. So, it's a money-saver to just skip the death penalty. A quick bit of Googlin' yields the following:

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000[/quote]

to the thread topic... isn't it grand that the people exercise make their voice heard through the ballot?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Those State Laws enacted will be either given a Pass or challenged by the Feds depending on their view of the case.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline powderman

California to decide death penalty issue?   In their ruined financial condition, they ought to consider how much it costs to incarcerate a man for life as opposed to getting rid of him altogether.  It seems these days it takes about 10 years to get a person in the chair, which in itself is a terrible draw on the tax payer.  I'm sure whatever California decides, it will be incorrect.

MIKE. Good post Sir. There are condemned that have been there 25-30+ years, 10 years would be a quick one. I wonder how much money is wasted on free food, clothing, shoes, bedding, rent, elect and water bill, free med care etc, not counting workout rooms, cable tv, etc.

The condemned should have a guaranteed review of ALL evidence, not just what lawyers and judges say is appropriate but ALL evidence, thats a jury's job to sort it out. If after a thorough investigation the evidence still says guilty, sentence should be carried out, no spcl meals, just whatever the prison pop is having that day. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Anna

On the illegal immigration problem, NM and its legislature have been giving drivers licenses to illegals
for some time now. But the state just got a notice that the TSA would no longer recognize our drivers
licenses as a form of ID. It hasn't stopped there, some trucking company's in this state that enjoy the luxury of hireing illegals for drivers at a vastly lower pay scale than that of a natural born citizen.

Are running into a lot of problems over in Texas and Arizona,where some police agency's are reluctant
to even let them drive in that state. In some cases in Texas the state DPS is requiring that the driver
also have a passport. And reports of this are also spreading into the private sector, where our state residents are stopped and have got to show proof of their citizenship other than their divers license.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
MIKE. Good post Sir.
No, it's a post based upon ignorance of the relative $ costs of a death sentence, compared to a life sentence.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline KIMBER45

MIKE. Good post Sir.
No, it's a post based upon ignorance of the relative $ costs of a death sentence, compared to a life sentence.
Yellowtail- you are correct and this topic has been covered. Some just won't allow hard facts to change their views.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline dwalk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
"Gay" marriage is something that, IMO, should NOT be allowed...notice i said IMO...others are intitled to the opinions as well.
illegal immigration? i find it very disturbing that the word "Illegal" has been deleted. the liberal activists, when they disagree, simply change the wording or meaning of the issue at hand; it's now "Immigrants". it was at first "Illegal immigrants" then it was changed to "Undocumented immigrants", now it's "Immigrants".
i once heard an activist, in chicago, say "The system is broken. it breaks up families" was his assertion. he was sheltering an illegal immigrant and her child.
how many people in this country who have gone before a court and been sentenced to prison/jail, could have plead: "But your honor, if i go to jail, it will break up my family." would have been shown clemency? none, i would wager.
ILLEGAL immigration has been an ongoing issue for at least three presidential administrations now.
last nite, on hal lindsey, a retired army general, gen Boykin, stated that there are "sleeper cells that have come across the southern border illegally."...boykin, if you will recall commanded the delta forces before retiring.
there are many reason our borders MUST be tightened...period. i know of NONE who oppose LEGAL imigration. liberals and radicals have distorted the meaning of "Immigration"
Pot? no...simply becasue alcohol is legal, does not make it "Right" to legalize pot...the statistics about the damage caused by alcohol and pot are staggering...why add another social problem?
death penalty? the legal costs are more to put a person to death than keeping them incarcerated for life according to studies. the MORALITY issue of it? depends on the crime(s) committed, and proven to be guilty of commiting, beyond any shawdow of a doubt.
is it cruel and unusual to put someone to death for committing an heinous crime OR...is it cruel and unusual, to sentence them to a life, without the possiblity of parole, of incarceration in our "Barbaric and archaic" prison systems?

don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Offline ChungDoQuan

• Eisenhower Conservative
Pot should be legal. The drivers' license thing in NM is going to bite somebody, I'm not sure who. When a cop runs your license #, they can also run it for previous licenses in other states, so it might not be a big deal for people who have moved to NM. Unless the cops just want to mess with you... The NM Governor wants to stop issuing licenses for illegals, but the legislature won't have it.
If you give up, THEY don't have to win.

"'Cause what they do in Washington, they just take care of number 1. And number 1 ain't you. $__t, you ain't even number 2!" Frank Zappa

The greatest idea the right ever had is personal responsibility; the greatest idea the left ever had is social responsibility. Both take effort.

The Founding Fathers had complete access to the Bible, but they came up with the Constitution as our governing document.

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
I find it interesting that while it's legal to consume alcohol, pretty much everything you do after drinking it, is ILLEGAL.....pretty cool huh...be the same for pot..

Heck, make it legal, put a "sin" tax on it. Maybe we could ALL reap some benefit from it not just users and dealers.. 8)

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
On the illegal immigration problem, NM and its legislature have been giving drivers licenses to illegals
for some time now. But the state just got a notice that the TSA would no longer recognize our drivers
licenses as a form of ID. It hasn't stopped there, some trucking company's in this state that enjoy the luxury of hireing illegals for drivers at a vastly lower pay scale than that of a natural born citizen.

Are running into a lot of problems over in Texas and Arizona,where some police agency's are reluctant
to even let them drive in that state. In some cases in Texas the state DPS is requiring that the driver
also have a passport. And reports of this are also spreading into the private sector, where our state residents are stopped and have got to show proof of their citizenship other than their divers license.

Everyone should be able to show their citizenship status at any time, or have their green card available to provide proof of legal status.   

Welcome to America, now speak English...

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline ChungDoQuan

Since I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" I think it should be up to the police, TSA, whoever, to prove someone is NOT a legal citizen. Even with the NM licenses, the police databases should have that information. We have the technology. (Personally, I think NM ought to issue different color licenses to undocumented individuals, be they Mexicans or just criminals. It would be that simple.)

"'Cause what they do in Washington, they just take care of number 1. And number 1 ain't you. $__t, you ain't even number 2!" Frank Zappa

The greatest idea the right ever had is personal responsibility; the greatest idea the left ever had is social responsibility. Both take effort.

The Founding Fathers had complete access to the Bible, but they came up with the Constitution as our governing document.

Offline powderman

(Personally, I think NM ought to issue different color licenses to undocumented individuals, be they Mexicans or just criminals. It would be that simple.)

Baloney. If they can be licensed they can be arrested and deported. They have NO BUSINESS here. They are criminals, invaders, trespassers, illegals, and should be treated as such. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(

Offline ChungDoQuan

As I understand it, NM, as a state, refuses to deport, using the same "states' rights" argument that Texas and Arizona use. Now, you either are for states' supremacy or you're not. If you're for it, this is what you asked for.

Offline magooch

My state (Washington) is one of those that is voting on queer marriage and pot.  This tells me the depths that our society has deteriorated to.  You probably don't have to wonder which party has been running this state for the last too many years.
Swingem

Offline Anna

As I understand it, NM, as a state, refuses to deport, using the same "states' rights" argument that Texas and Arizona use. Now, you either are for states' supremacy or you're not. If you're for it, this is what you asked for.

You wouldn't think that way if they moved in beside you.This one thing is always the deciding factor
around here for when a Liberal starts to vote like a conservative.
And there are those here that know exactly what I mean by this.

Offline two-blocked

My wife married a pervert and she seems OK with it.

Offline Gary G

I would say let the local people decide rather than someone thousands of miles away decide for them. The good thing about state sovereignty is that when a state messes up, the population moves to another state and everyone learns from it. Of course the opposite is also true. The eventual outcome could only be greater freedom and prosperity. Of course the omniscient ones think they know what's best for all of us.
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline Anna

I would say let the local people decide rather than someone thousands of miles away decide for them. The good thing about state sovereignty is that when a state messes up, the population moves to another state and everyone learns from it. Of course the opposite is also true. The eventual outcome could only be greater freedom and prosperity. Of course the omniscient ones think they know what's best for all of us.

Of course they do! They are the chosen few, if you don't believe me just ask them. They will tell you!

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Death penalty- yes

Pot- most definalty.  It isnt any worse than alchohol.

Immigration- no

Gay marraige- Im against it for the reason that it causes too much issues with the rearing of a child in a same sex marraige.  However, someone could really argue that with a ll the single parents raising children.  I do believe that you need both a mother and a father raising a child.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline Cuts Crooked

Well Chung, I DON'T believe in state's supremacy, and you shouldn't either. Basic American history should tell you that it doesn't exist. Remember that little war we fought here about 150 years ago? It decisively put an end to "states rights"!
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline ChungDoQuan

Well Chung, I DON'T believe in state's supremacy, and you shouldn't either. Basic American history should tell you that it doesn't exist. Remember that little war we fought here about 150 years ago? It decisively put an end to "states rights"!

I know. I'm just showing how ridiculous some arguments are. Texas and Arizona seem to think they can override federal law.

Offline ChungDoQuan

You wouldn't think that way if they moved in beside you.This one thing is always the deciding factor
around here for when a Liberal starts to vote like a conservative.
And there are those here that know exactly what I mean by this.

I'm actually surrounded with Hispanics. I have no idea if they're legal or illegal. They're just... neighbors.

Offline Anna

Then common down and live here awhile! Because actions speak a lot louder than words, and maybe
you could teach us and them a thing or two because so far it isn't working.
You would be a welcome sight, someone actually moveing in. And not moveing out because of this.
Then you would know even by your words, there is a BIG difference between a Hispanic and a Mexican who has only recently come here.

Offline ChungDoQuan

Then common down and live here awhile!

Maybe you should try being more neighborly!  ;D One thing's for sure, voting for Money Boo Boo ain't gonna fix it.

Offline Anna

Maybe you should try that and see if you fair any better with them ? Many like you have tried including myself, those like them around here will look at you like an idiot. If their gang land kids don't kill and rob you you first.

Offline Casull

One thing's for sure, voting for Money Boo Boo ain't gonna fix it.

Well, that would be TWO thing's for sure then, because the halfrican currently living in the big house "ain't gonna fix it" either (unless by fix, you mean make it worse).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
There is no such thing as an undocumented individual.

You are  legally in the country:
As a person born here
As a person naturalized
As a visitor
As a student or worker with the proper Visa

Everything else is an Illegal Alien( excepting ET's)  ;D ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Anna

At least ET may have better manners and not be so rude .