Author Topic: .17 Hornet  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
.17 Hornet
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
Who has had any experience with the .17 Hornet?  Sportsman's has a couple in.  A Savage and a Ruger.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .17 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »
I made a 17 Hornady Hornet from a H&R 17HMR, Roger.

This was first shots before adj zero at 100.

Mine shoots very well! I haven't shot anything with it yet and haven't started loading for it either. But I have 10 boxes of ammo to shoot thru first! :)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »
Neat
I have done no research concerning using the rimfire receiver. Is that what you did & did someone who understands these matters determine the pressure would be no issue? I wouldn't mind doing that to my rifle if I knew it was strong enough.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »
Neat
I have done no research concerning using the rimfire receiver. Is that what you did & did someone who understands these matters determine the pressure would be no issue? I wouldn't mind doing that to my rifle if I knew it was strong enough.

While it is a rechambered rimfire BARREL, but its mounted on a SB2 centerfire receiver... ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
I have had a 17 AH for several years. Mine is a Bullberry barrel on a Contender frame. My favorite bullet is the 19 gr. Callhon. I`m pushing it at 3,500 fps. I`m not sure how close the 17 Hornet case is to mine, but I`m sure it`s close enough that there won`t be much difference in preformance and mine shoots point blank to abt. 290 yrds. Best groundhog round ever, alittle lite for coyote though.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »
Neat

While it is a rechambered rimfire BARREL, but its mounted on a SB2 centerfire receiver... ;)

CW

Yep, figured you might have meant that. I have an Encore frame so that will be my logical path.  ;)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
     Gun blast has an article on the 17 hornet in the ruger mk77.  Sounds great but I don't really need another rifle right now.

woods