Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 402 times)

Offline jackalope33b

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Help
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
Im looking to purchase a  Black Powder Mortar. Curious to know how they perform. Im am thinking of getting one for New Years eve and just keep blasting it all night lol. I would like to get one that has a "deep boom" rather than sounding like a pistol going off. Right now, I dont have any plans to launch golf balls, tennis balls etc out of it. Any ideas on where I can get one that is reasonably priced? I see some of them online for around $400, but thats way out of my price range. I  have seen some for around $100, but would like to know if they will perform like I want it too.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »
Considering that $100 will not fill the tank of my full size pickup truck, I think you aren't going to find much at the level.  $100 still sounds like a lot of money to someone who made $45 a week before taxes (and $78 a month as an E-1) but it now is equivalent to ten of those dollars.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
You get what you pay for.  Be very careful.  You would probably think twice before you put a ten dollar tire on your car.  I suggest you think twice before you buy something you are going to put gunpowder in. :-\
Check our sponsors.  Rest assured you will get something safe.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
One suggestion is not to concentrate too much on getting the largest bore noise maker.  The price usually goes up with bore size, and the salute gun sales technique is to have you think that the largest bore is the biggest or loudest boom.  Not always so.  Barrel length, quantity of powder, wadding,  and powder grain size play a big roll in what it sounds like.  The way it's positioned and the landscape also make a big difference. 

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
Im looking to purchase a  Black Powder Mortar. Curious to know how they perform. Im am thinking of getting one for New Years eve and just keep blasting it all night lol. I would like to get one that has a "deep boom" rather than sounding like a pistol going off. Right now, I dont have any plans to launch golf balls, tennis balls etc out of it. Any ideas on where I can get one that is reasonably priced? I see some of them online for around $400, but thats way out of my price range. I  have seen some for around $100, but would like to know if they will perform like I want it too.

For a hundred buck your best bet is this place.  http://www.blackpowder-cannons.com/ Good quality cannons at a price you just cant beat. His thunder mug should do the job of making noise and stay within your budget.