Author Topic: Shepherd's Crook Safety Rammers - Do they Work??  (Read 6254 times)

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Shepherd's Crook Safety Rammers - Do they Work??
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2012, 03:12:20 AM »

Further I believe the usefulness of the crook rammer only comes into play when proper loading procedures are not followed. 

Read that again gents!!! 

If you have not followed safe loading procedures you need one of these rammers...

Offline brass cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
The shepherd's crook type rammer was used by the French in the 1700's.  It is shown in Louis de Tousard's "American Artillerist's Companion or Elements of Artillery: Treating of All kinds of Firearms in Detail, and of The Formations, Object, and Service of the Flying or Horse Artillery."  VolIII.  Published originally in French then in English in 1813.  Reprinted in 1969 for the West Point Military Library by Greenwood Press.  The rammer is on Plate XXVI and there are two originals at West Point.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »
Since my bent-conduit design apparently wasn't part of the tests, and therefore wasn't "disproven" I'm going to keep using it, with gloves of course.  Conduit does not splinter.

We do follow safe loading procedures but often fire original guns which in some cases have damaged (pitted) bores or gapped rifling, leaving the ability to hold embers not easily accessed by normal bore servicing.  Our wait time is often 5-10 min. or more between shots which should help a lot, but you just cannot be too careful with this stuff, having been given only two hands.

Have been thinking about how to improve our design, and one way would be to saw the "hands on" part off of the rest, at the first straight section after the bend, on the gunner's end of the device.  Take a hardwood dowel about 4" long, which fits inside the conduit very tightly, and press the sawed-in-half ends of the conduit onto it, so 2" of dowel is inside either section of conduit as a "weak link" so the handle section probably stays in your hands during a premature, and the much-larger cannon end goes downrange.

If the slip-fit loosens up just drill a hole thru each part so the hole goes thru both sides of a section of conduit and the dowel, and put some kind of improvised shear-pin in the hole, such as a piece of iron baling wire.  Or use hot-melt glue, sparingly, to tighten up the joint.  It won't adhere permanently to the conduit, so it is still a slip-joint, but one that doesn't slip too easily.  If the dowel breaks too easily in use, I'd substitute a beheaded section of a bolt of proper diameter.
Photos of the redesign to follow, probably in some weeks as I'm off on other projects now.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
     Cannonmn,    Sounds like a good modification, John.  We are not sure of the slip joint affair, but even with lots of off-center pushing trying to rotate the crook, it may slip, or be jerked out as planned or the wooden link may fail in which case you have what we consider to be the best scenario.  The rammer shaft and crook go flying down range and the loader is left holding the handle portion of the Safety Rammer.

For our new Seacoast Safety Rammer we will use elements of what Victor called a weak or planned failure link very similar to your metal parts connector, but our steel Shepard's Crook socket on the handle side will be plugged with a 3/4" White Pine dowel two inches long with both ends epoxy glued into the steel socket and the 3/4" Ash handle socket.  The Ash handle will be as long as the rammer portion and will be 1.5" to 2.0" in diameter for extra weight.  The White Pine dowel is our "planned failure component" and, after studying those Slo-Mo video clips we made during testing, over and over, Mike has volunteered to be a live test subject as soon as we get another one made.  I believe he is thinking of doing a You-Tube video and gleaning the fame and glory of being the first human to do what his title suggests:  "Man Hangs on to a Pole as it is Shot from a Cannon!!"  I think he is going for a million hits.  :P

Tracy & Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2013, 12:32:27 AM »
     For our new Seacoast Safety Rammer we will use elements of what Victor called a weak or planned failure link...

Dang.... I knowed I shoulda got down to the patent office sooner.  :'(
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes