Author Topic: Rabbit hunting in Florida Panhandle?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Rabbit hunting in Florida Panhandle?
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:23:40 AM »
Not sure where to ask this question where there's enough traffic to get a good answer, so I thought here is probably best.

I'm going to the Florida Panhandle, Panama City, this winter to visit a sick friend and I'd like to do some rabbit hunting while I'm there. Is there any good rabbit hunting in that area? Can you point me to a good type of public land that would be worth the effort (woods, marshes? particular wildlife management areas?)  Not looking to get specific spots, just general info.

Is there a book of information like maps and wildlife management locations available? I figure if there's hunting within about a two hour drive of the city, I'd give it a try for a few days.

Also, any tips on hazards will be appreciated. I'm not used to hunting in Florida.

Thanks!

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
Re: Rabbit hunting in Florida Panhandle?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »
About the only thing to worry about would be rattlesnakes, water moccasins and hogs. If your in a area that has lots of hogs than you probably wont see many rabbits the plus side is that hogs are on the small game, so take along some slugs also. :)
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
I've lived here for 37 years.  I've hunted most of that time.  I've seen one rattlesnake and about 50 rabbits.  Hogs are not dangerous.....water moccasins are pretty rare.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
I must say that I've never had any problems with hogs, but rattlesnakes you may or may not see but if anybody even thinks that water moccasins in FL. are "rare" obviously has never been in the swamps or even around the water much.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »
Every water snake isn't a water moccasin.  They are rare.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 03:42:49 PM »
Yes I know the difference, most snake in the water are going to be water snakes, the most common around here are going to be banded, broad banded and brown water snakes, not counting the more secretive ones like green belled, crawfish etc. I've lived in FL [born] a long time and if your not seeing moccasins in the swamps look down more often. Please understand I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Offline RevJim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:10:08 AM »
 Last time I visited home ( between Houston and Beaumont, TX) was October of 2011. In a weeks time, driving a lot and at night, I did not see one swamp rabbit! ( Its a big hare really) Granted, this was the worst drought down there I had ever seen, so they could have been way back in the woods somewhere around water. But I didn't even see them in the suburbs where people watered their grass, plenty of deer in town though! I hope they didn't all die out in that area. They don't proliferate like cotton tails, and one can shoot them out of an area pretty easy. Best eating rabbit IMO. In Germany, as a soldier, I saw lots of big hares, similar ot our swamp rabbit, and they make great Hasenpfeffer out of them. Yummy. Good luck to you, and if you can, try to find someone with beagles to run them, tons of fun.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 01:45:16 AM »
I've lived here for 37 years.  I've hunted most of that time.  I've seen one rattlesnake and about 50 rabbits.  Hogs are not dangerous.....water moccasins are pretty rare.

I've lived here, in Florida, Jacksonville and now Merritt Island/Cocoa all of my 59 years.  I too have seen VERY FEW moccasins and I am in, around, or near the fresh water of the St Johns River and its tributaries a lot.  Not everyone has the same "snake-filled" experience.  The one time I saw moccasins was at a Boy Scout Camporee specifically at F. Burton Smith Park on SR 520 east of Cocoa, FL.  If there was one snake, there were a dozen.  Those boys, 150 strong, found snakes, and found snakes, and found snakes, not all of them moccosins though.  The moccosins they found were tormented with sticks encouraging them to strike, to the point of worry to the Scoutmasters that a boy would eventually be bitten.  Logical thinking in that I guess.  So the snakes would be captured by experienced adults and released 500-1000 yards away, rather than killed, as the rat population in that location was under control due to the snake population, and the boys were counciled in the protection of wildlife, rather than scolded for doing what most boys do.

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »
I work at a country club in Jacksonville with woods, lots of ponds, and bordered by a swamp on two sides.  I see moccasins on a weekly basis.  They are there, and they are prolific.  I also see lots of pygmy rattlers, but not with the frequency of cottonmouths.   Understand one thing: even if they are "rare", they are there......Watch your feet, and watch above you in swamps.  Moccasins love trees in the deep swamps.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »
Snakes are less active in the colder months.  ;) I was born & raised in Florida. Been gone 30 years but just moved back. I don't expect to see any out until the weather warms up some. You'll be fine Conan. Just watch where you set down and put your hands though.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:36:53 AM »
I doubt you'll see any in warmer weather either.