Author Topic: Ballistic Tips in .308 for Deer?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline 3006softpoint

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ballistic Tips in .308 for Deer?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 03:07:53 AM »
I would not advise ftx Hornady AKA( Leverevolution)..My son was using some I reloaded and they make a mess...I found 2 jackets of the 2 bullets he shot at the deer he got this year...Good penetration but the internal lead in the bullet. Splatted all over the inside.. Found it everywear in the front part of the deer, high & low.

Offline RevJim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 03:22:21 AM »
My BIL always used the Sierra 150 BT in his Mod 742 .308, on SE Texas deer/hogs. It never failed him. I've only shot one animal with a .308, a Mod 70 FWT classic, on a big axis buck in Del Rio, Tx. It was when the Nosler BTs were known as being soft. I used the 165 because, as noted above, half its weight was jacket. I didn't have a chrono then, but it was a warm load. I hit that buck around 230 yds, complete pass through. Had about a quarter sized exit hole. My guide was impressed, as they had seen so much bad performance with the then soft BTs.
 In a DPMS, I would have to try the Barnes 130gr TTSX, but I'm a Barnes freak, ha.
Sorry, Senior moment....I did shoot one other animal with a .308, it was a whitetail doe at 15yds with a 150gr Corlokt factory load out of a Ruger 77 Ultralight. Yes, I killed her, ha. Sorry for the space cadet earlier post.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
 I've used Ballistic Tips, Game Kings, Pro hunters, Core Lokts,  Hot Cor, and a few other cup and core bullets in 308 and to be honest I can not tell one from the other judging how well they do on whitetail deer.  They all work quite well, I see no need for premium bullets.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 11:45:01 PM »
A good answer!!
I've used Ballistic Tips, Game Kings, Pro hunters, Core Lokts,  Hot Cor, and a few other cup and core bullets in 308 and to be honest I can not tell one from the other judging how well they do on whitetail deer.  They all work quite well, I see no need for premium bullets.
blue lives matter