Author Topic: Ballistic Tips in .308 for Deer?  (Read 2407 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Ballistic Tips in .308 for Deer?
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
I've been milling over bullets to use for whitetails in my DPMS AP4 .308.  I want something that opens fairly quickly but will still give me a pass through on a broadside shot.  If I hit the near shoulder, that's a different story.  I don't care how much weight the bullet shed's, I just want broadside pass through shots.

One that came to mind was the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.  I was thinking that even if it opens fast, being 180 grains, it should still have enough energy to keep it driving.  My gun only has a 16" barrel, so I was guessing the muzzle velocity will be somewhere around 2250 to 2300 depending on powder.  I've used these in my .280, but was pushing 140 grain pills at almost 3,000 fps, and the results were pretty explosive at close range.  Needless to say, I discontinued there use in that gun.  Thoughs?

Also, Nosler BT or Combined Technology BT?  What's the difference?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Ballistic Tips in .308 for Deer?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
The only ballistic tip that I've seen have consistently good results on deer was the 180 gr.  Most of the other weights were too explosive for my taste, albeit the 150 would be the second best.  It was very quick expansion though and damages quite a bit more meat than necessary in my mind.  Personally, however, I'd really look at the 180 gr. BTSP.  I load these in .30-06, .30-40 Krag and 7.5x55 Schmidt-Rubin with very good accuracy and consistency.  With my iron sights, I get about a 6" group at 300 yards with my 1911 Swiss Rifle.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
I use the 168 gr Fed. Match bullet.  My rifle loves it and it never given me anything but one shot kills.  Most of those have been head shots though.  I've used the 165 gr ballstic tips for Muleys in a .300 Weatherby with one shot heart shot kills also.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
I can't advise you on the ability of a pass through with that bullet..
I'll comment on the Combined Tech,,
It's the same bullet coated with Noslers version of moly,, a black substance that's supposed too increase velocity and performance,,  ::)
If you wanna use'm ya gotta stick with'm. I tried some in 224 with little satisfaction and when I went back to a proven load with un-coated the patterns spread all over. Trouble was that black coating was in the bore and it took days to clean out.
I'll never use them again.

If you want pass through have you considered Barnes TTSX ?
found elsewhere

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »
My all time favorite bullet in the 307/308 is a discontinued Speer 165 RN bullet.

Some 15-16 years ago, pop ran out of the Herter's bullet he liked so much, we began looking different bullets. He had the idea maybe less recoil might be a good thing. (My pop is not a big man and getting older) We loaded some Speer 150 FPs to about 2600fps. Accuracy was good, so he went hunting. The first couple does he shot where bang flops with close broad side shots. BUT NO exits and massive damage from a disintgrating bullet. The he had a bigger buck walk in front of him, The bullet struck the top of the shoulder, the impact point was visable with a large red spot, nearly imeadiately. The deer went down but got back up and ran. Pop was in a tree stand and hunting thick laurels. He was lucky enough to watch the deer circle the hilltop and stop behind him, where he was able to put a finishing bullet in his lungs at a little over 150 yards. Good thing he made a mental note of that spot, because the was hair and little blood at first shot. NOTHING to track to where the deer died. We got to the deer and found that that first shot NEVER ENTERED THE CHEST CAVITY!!!!! It was a base ball size and about 1" deep! Second shot was in lungs, between ribs again W/NO exit.
The next season, another buck in a screen of laurels, rubbing his horns. THREE SHOTS at this dumb deer... The bullets hit that screen and came apart, that poor deer looked like swiss cheese!!! He was bleeding form EVERYWHERE!!! But he got the deer...
Last story, We where invited to a new piece of property my brother in law hunts. Story was, a very large buck has been sceen and we are gonna get him... ::) Well, Pop did see him... he even shot him... he did NOT get him.... WE looked for three days. at one time 10 people and two dogs.... no deer. Good thing is we feel because of the search the deer lived. We looked for a new bullet... :-[

Upon recomendation tried these Speers. I loaded them to about the same 2600 with a med loading of 4320 powder. The very first deer pop shot was buck and was shot at very close range, 20-25 yards. He shot him in the base of the neck, bang flop with a nickle sized entrance and half dollar exit!
That was 15+ deer ago for him and never one lost or even questionable since. 5-6 years back Larry T cut a rim in my Survivor 308 chamber, making me a 307 Handi. This same 165 RN with a stiff charge of H335 shoots just at 1" and drops deer with authority!!

I would look at a accubond that works so well in your 280.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »
  I can't offer a great deal of experience with them, but I am loading 150 gr  Hornady interlocks in my .308 this year.  In their reviews, Midway had a lot of positives reported...for what that's worth.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:17:42 AM »
Ive probably killed more deer with 30 cal bt then all ohter bullets combined. Probably well over a 100. Im a big fan of them on deer sized game but to me a 180 is just to much for a 308. A 165 or 150 is a better choise. My 308s and 06s are usually loaded with 150s and the 165s do service in the 300 mags. I chuckle at guys that claim there to explosive. Ive shot deer at 50 yards with 150s out of a 300 wby and got exit wounds. What the heck is to explosive. If your tearing up to much meat your shot placement is the problem not the bullet. Shoot a deer in the shoulder with ANY bullet and your going to loose those shoulders. Hit them behind the shoulder with ANY bullet and your going to loose some ribs which to me is no big deal. What ive found is most guys that claim there to explosive have probably killed 3 deer or less with them and had one bad experience and that was due to marginal bullet placement. Then you get the guys I really laugh at. Ones that claim they made a good hit on a deer and it ran off due to under penetration. How the heck would they ever know!! Just some lame excuse for a poor shot or missed shot. You can keep all your premium bullets. Ive had more problems with them on deer sized game then i ever had with sierras or bts. or any cup and core bullet. In my opinion bts and seirras and other cup and core bullets ARE the premium bullets for deer hunting. Go after something that is a 1000lbs and sure a premium bullet will give you an advantage but not on deer.
blue lives matter

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 01:23:23 AM »
Before I started reloading I used 168 gr. Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tips with excellent results, through bone or not.  Now I load Nosler 168 gr. BT Spitzers with the same success in my two .308s and my .30-30 Handi.  I'm running the .308s at 2650 fps and the .30-30 at 2400.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:47:23 AM »
I use 150 BT in my 3006 , 130 BT and 150 BT in 308 and 100 BT in 2506 . none stay in the deer . Used them in a 708 years ago same thing. Now our deer are not so large , biggest I have shot may have gone 180 lb and most does are 90 to 110 lbs.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:54 AM »
I was trying to find a lighter load in my bolt 22" barrel, to reduce recoil.

I looked for a light bullet and found the 110gr V-Max.

Unfortunately, for accuracy, I had to load as much H4895 as my 155gr match load,

So I ended with around 43.5 grs, very accurate, with the 3shots touching at 100,

but a pleasant load to shoot, at around 2,800 fps

This should be good on Whitetail, as long as its not loaded hot.

cheers,
SS

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:46:50 AM »
I've also used BT on all kinds of animals up to and including big hogs.  I generally use heavy for caliber like the 150gr in the 270 and the 180 in the 06.  I'm now using the 165grBT and it seems to be about perfect.  I've also been switching to Accubonds because I have gotten quite a few on sale and see no difference in accuracy though a bit better penetration.  IMO - Use a 165 and don't worry about it.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 05:07:35 AM »
The  one  thing  I  experiance   with  B- tips  I  dont  like  is ,  the   copper  jacket  will  fragment  if  it  hits  bone.  Inspect   your   processed   meat  carefully .

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »
In your short barrel ar 308, i recommend that you use the 150 gr BT. At the slower velocities the bullet will hold together better than you think, if your  worried about whether the 150 BT will perform like you want, use the barnes 130 gr tipped triple shock. You will be able to drive it faster in the shorter barrel than the 150 and it will exit the animal from any angle.

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:06:45 AM »
I've shot a few animals with bt's in different calibers.  Shot one young buck with 100 gr bt out of a 6.5x55 at close range and suprisingly got almost no damage and found bullet on far shoulder.
I shot a buck this year with a 150 bt out of a 280 Remington and there was lots of damage as I would expect from this bullet.
I've shot 165 grain bt's in my 30.06, usually opt up to 180 Partitions for elk. 
I would think if the 180's group well there would be no advantage to dropping down to a lighter bullet and you may not get as much of the explosive effect with the heavier bullets.

If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
i have used nothing but 150 grain BT since they came out, early on they had a bad rep for fragmenting, they are my mountain mule deer round, i use them in my 308 for my handi and pre 64 model 70 feather weight also in my 300 win mag ruger #1, not white tails but heavy bodied mountain mule deer, for antelope i use the bt in 243, i have yet to find a more accurate bullet for my guns but thats just my opinion
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
Bullet performance is a strange thing.  Last Saturday morning I shot a heavy bodied deer..one that has been feeding all summer on corn & soybeans.  I was using my new Ruger American .308 with Winchester 150 gr Power points..  Power points have worked very well for me in my Marlin lever in both 150 & 170 gr configurations. 
  The .308 seems to be a different story!  My friend who processes my deer, saved my bullet for me and affirmed the bullet track..the deer was facing away at an angle, about 100 yds. into the cornfield from me.  The bullet caught behind his right rear rib and exited the left front chest... Then he showed me the bullet..or rather the pieces of it..a ragged copper base and a "smidgin" of lead.  I took them with me snd weighed them on my powder scale...24 grs.
     Perhaps the difference in speed between the 30/30 and the .308 explains things..?
         I don't consider that very good bullet performance..but I had already bought bullets for reloads..150 gr Hornady interlocks..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 05:15:19 AM »
Bullet performance is a strange thing.  Last Saturday morning I shot a heavy bodied deer..one that has been feeding all summer on corn & soybeans.  I was using my new Ruger American .308 with Winchester 150 gr Power points..  Power points have worked very well for me in my Marlin lever in both 150 & 170 gr configurations. 
  The .308 seems to be a different story!  My friend who processes my deer, saved my bullet for me and affirmed the bullet track..the deer was facing away at an angle, about 100 yds. into the cornfield from me.  The bullet caught behind his right rear rib and exited the left front chest... Then he showed me the bullet..or rather the pieces of it..a ragged copper base and a "smidgin" of lead.  I took them with me snd weighed them on my powder scale...24 grs.
     Perhaps the difference in speed between the 30/30 and the .308 explains things..?
         I don't consider that very good bullet performance..but I had already bought bullets for reloads..150 gr Hornady interlocks..

How do you know that the part of the bullet that exited didn't weigh more than the 24grs you found? I am not seeing the problem I guess. A base separation (core separation) is not a bad thing when you still have a good chunk of lead pushing on.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 05:44:48 AM »
Ive probably killed more deer with 30 cal bt then all ohter bullets combined. Probably well over a 100. Im a big fan of them on deer sized game but to me a 180 is just to much for a 308. A 165 or 150 is a better choise. My 308s and 06s are usually loaded with 150s and the 165s do service in the 300 mags. I chuckle at guys that claim there to explosive. Ive shot deer at 50 yards with 150s out of a 300 wby and got exit wounds. What the heck is to explosive. If your tearing up to much meat your shot placement is the problem not the bullet. Shoot a deer in the shoulder with ANY bullet and your going to loose those shoulders. Hit them behind the shoulder with ANY bullet and your going to loose some ribs which to me is no big deal. What ive found is most guys that claim there to explosive have probably killed 3 deer or less with them and had one bad experience and that was due to marginal bullet placement. Then you get the guys I really laugh at. Ones that claim they made a good hit on a deer and it ran off due to under penetration. How the heck would they ever know!! Just some lame excuse for a poor shot or missed shot. You can keep all your premium bullets. Ive had more problems with them on deer sized game then i ever had with sierras or bts. or any cup and core bullet. In my opinion bts and seirras and other cup and core bullets ARE the premium bullets for deer hunting. Go after something that is a 1000lbs and sure a premium bullet will give you an advantage but not on deer.

Lloyd as you know old ideas die hard & gunwrighters have done their thing. Yes, the old BT's were quite soft & in the faster 30 cal. they were dramatic expanders. But even in those days it would not have been an issue in a short tubed 308. Now that the BT's have been "toughened up" it is simply a non-issue. BTW, I really like the 180BT these days in my 300WM.
We have used the 165BT in 308 a good deal & haven't seen an issue as yet. My cousin has used the 165BT in his 308 for years & has taken alot of Deer & I think about 50 Hogs with that load (308 @ 2650), no failures so far.
Just load the 165 cup and core your gun likes and enjoy.
If you have any reservation at all, just load some 168 BT's, the jacket is much thicker. Nosler did that along with a ogive change to give the 168BT a match bullet profile. I load some of those not for the thicker jacket, but because I want a higher BC in my 308 Tact., but the bullet jacket is over half of the total weight.
I am leaving you with a picture of Nosler BT 30 cal. jackets in their CURRENT form.   They are the 2 bullets on the right. The first is the 168 I mentioned, the other is the 180, bot built very stout.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i124/baldhunter/Noslers005.jpg

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »

How do you know that the part of the bullet that exited didn't weigh more than the 24grs you found? I am not seeing the problem I guess. A base separation (core separation) is not a bad thing when you still have a good chunk of lead pushing on.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Part of the problem..I don't know what the rest of the bullet didIt didn't hit major bones so I wonder if it had  been quartering, facing me and I had hit a shoulder right off..would it have blown up on the shoulder? 
     Another point, I really don't want lead scraps throughout my venison..if that's what happened.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 06:50:08 AM »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Part of the problem..I don't know what the rest of the bullet didIt didn't hit major bones so I wonder if it had  been quartering, facing me and I had hit a shoulder right off..would it have blown up on the shoulder? 
     Another point, I really don't want lead scraps throughout my venison..if that's what happened.

Mess up the shoulder yea, blow up I don't see at 308 velocity.
In these hypotheticals who knows, but I do know a guy that has slayed a couple of truck loads of Deer with that Powerpoint and won't switch. but as far as not wanting ANY lead in ther meat, well that's a tough one for even a bullet like the Nos. Part. that sheds it's front part quick and any prem. with lead can do that a little. I lung most Deer, so a non-issue & when I do hit a shoulder, I process my own, so the lead has not even been a minor concern.
Of course if a guy wants no lead at all he has those choices, not me though

Offline shot1

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 02:15:21 AM »
The 150 Nosler ballistic tip and the Hornady 150 SST will work great for the OPs requirements. If you want the best of both worlds use the Nosler 150 Accubond or the Hornady 150 Interbond. They cost more but they will expand and hold together and keep on trucking like the old Nosler partition but are as accurate at the ballistic tip. For those that have not done much shooting of 308 Win over a chrno with different barrel lengths here is a little heads up. You don't loose all that much velocity between 20 and 24 inch barrels in this caliber. I have killed a whole bunch of deer with many different bullets in 308 Win and other 30 calibers. The best bullet I have ever used is the 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip as long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps. On shots thorough the shoulders if impact velocity is below about 2700 fps it usually exits after going through both shoulders. I always try to enter or angle an exit through one of the shoulders if possible. We will say that I have killed in excess of 50 deer with the 125 ballistic tip in various 30 cal rifles and pistol (14" barrel 30-30AI Contender). I have lost count over the years. I can count on one hand those deer that have even taken a single step after receiving a 125 BT and they did not go over 3 jumps. I have killed them from point blank out to a little over 300 yards with this bullet.
I used to use mainly 150 gr Sierra and Winchester power points in my 308 Win and can't remember ever not having one exit but even with a perfect center of shoulder shot about 50% of the time they would run 30 to 60 yards and where I hunt in east NC the woods/cut overs are so thick and nasty with green briar it can be a chore to find and get a deer out without looking like you have been in a fight with a grizzly bear. I like my BANG FLOPS.
I do have a friend that uses the same type rifle as the OP and he uses factory Hornady 150 SSTs with great results.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 04:02:48 AM »
I agree with Lloyd on the use of 150-165 weight bullets for whitetail.  Do not need 180.  Not a fan of BTs except for shooting paper.  They group very well in my rifles, just don't always deliver on deer at close ranges.
I like 150 grain the best.  Always had excellent results with Hornaday, Sierra, and CoreLokt.  I prefer flat base bullets. 95% of my shots are inside of 300 yds. but many are over fields.  If I plan to hunt a stand that requires a long shot, I use my 270 with 140 Sierra.  Very good out to 450 yds.

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
165 or 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip for plinking and target work and the same weight but in Nosler Partitions for hunting.  Partitions are pricey but worth every penny as my go to bullet for reliable expansion and holding up all the way through game after smashing through shoulders and ribs.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »
Really it might do well to look at the original post, we are talking about a DPMS 308, not a 300 RUM.

Here is a AP4 as mentioned, 16" tube: http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-308762_ep_129-1.html

I shot a friend's DPMS of a slightly diff config. but still a 16" & you will do well to exceed 2550 with a 165 & that is at the muzzle, not at the target. If someone wants to use a premium bullet for a Deer by all means do so, but to indicate that this application calls for one is just a joke. To each his own, but a Sierra, Speer, Nos. BT, SST, you name it in 165 will be more that up to this task. Wow, I really amazed by all of this, but I know too many that actually shoot alot of animals with modest capacity rounds and cup & core bullets that find this stuff amusing. I loaded for my 308 this year the 165 Speer BTSP, it grouped better than the BT in that particular rifle.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 05:58:22 AM »
Now I load Nosler 168 gr. BT Spitzers with the same success in my two .308s and my .30-30 Handi.  I'm running the .308s at 2650 fps and the .30-30 at 2400.

What powder are you using to get those 168's to 2400 in .30-30?  I use RE15 to get the 150 that fast but didn't think I could get a 168 up to 2400 without stretching that thin brass too much.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
I use Remington Bronze Points in my 308. I like the protected point the bronze provides. I shoot a Springfield M1A and it tends to mash lead points. The accuracy is great as well as the trauma on deer. They have been called the original Ballistic tip and I believe the bronze tip is more durable.

Cheese

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 04:24:05 AM »
 My BIL always used the Sierra 150 BT in his Mod 742 .308, on SE Texas deer/hogs. It never failed him. I've only shot one animal with a .308, a Mod 70 FWT classic, on a big axis buck in Del Rio, Tx. It was when the Nosler BTs were known as being soft. I used the 165 because, as noted above, half its weight was jacket. I didn't have a chrono then, but it was a warm load. I hit that buck around 230 yds, complete pass through. Had about a quarter sized exit hole. My guide was impressed, as they had seen so much bad performance with the then soft BTs.
 In a DPMS, I would have to try the Barnes 130gr TTSX, but I'm a Barnes freak, ha.

Offline tlmkr38

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
The only ballistic tip that I've seen have consistently good results on deer was the 180 gr.  Most of the other weights were too explosive for my taste, albeit the 150 would be the second best.  It was very quick expansion though and damages quite a bit more meat than necessary in my mind.  Personally, however, I'd really look at the 180 gr. BTSP.  I load these in .30-06, .30-40 Krag and 7.5x55 Schmidt-Rubin with very good accuracy and consistency.  With my iron sights, I get about a 6" group at 300 yards with my 1911 Swiss Rifle.  ;)

Id like to see that... Not being a smart aleck either.. Hehe with open sights I'm not sure I could hit 15 inchs.... LOL!!!  I once handed my Garand to an old man at the range and he promptly gave me a shooting lesson. Then said, yep just like when I was in the war.... LOL!

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 12:48:03 AM »
A lot depends on to what muzzle velocity do you load your .280?

Normally, a fairly hot load in a .280 Remington produces too high a muzzle velocity for the use of a Nosler
Ballistic Tip, boat-tailed bullet.

If you're gonna shoot full loads, I'd recommend either a 140 or 150 grain Nosler Partition or a 140 or 150 grain Nosler Accubond bullet.  I've used the 210 grain Nosler Partition bullet on a large, heavy moose out of my .338 Win. Mag. and the bullet stopped just under the skin on the off-side shoulder... fully expanded, retaining over 71% of it's original bullet weight and killing the moose instantly.

Both the Nosler Partition and the Nosler Accubond are "tough" bullets which should give you a complete "pass through" on a deer at less than 300  yards out of a .308.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »
I decided to try Accubond from Nosler , they are supposed to retain more weight and go deeper than standard BT's. They have a white tip.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !