Author Topic: Garmin ETREX.  (Read 1425 times)

Offline tucoblue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Garmin ETREX.
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »
Cheapest ($100.00 or so) most basic GPS. Picked it up a few years ago. It does everything I need it to do. I named him "Solly". He MUST have a name or I won't be able to talk about him. We mark the truck location before we go into the woods. No matter where we go Solly gets me back to the truck. Won't direct me a mile down/up the road and leave me guessing as to, "Which way is that truck?" If we find a spot to put together a ground blind we just mark the spot on Solly. He'll take me there for years if that's what we want. If we want to find the best spot to cross a swamp or stream Solly will take care of me. If we want to come back to pick up that monster buck Solly will do it. Solly doesn't care if it's day or night, he'll take me where we want to go. Solly does those "Solunar Tables", he tells me North or whatever we need, he tells me the time, he tells me his remaining power, he has a screen that lights up. He probably does other stuff but Solly and I are happy with all this information. How much more do we need? If his batteries die his brain will not care. As soon as he gets those new Duracells he's happy. He doesn't do the mysterious
"Computer Download" thing. He doesn't even know why this is necessary. He and his friend, "Mr. Compass", are O.K. with each other. Since Solly came along Mr. Compass is on standby but happy in his new role. Solly is basic and uncomplicated. He's just a happy guy doing all that is necessary for cheap dollars.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Garmin ETREX.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
Had one about ten years.  Basic yellow model.  Still don't know how to use it but my grandkid starts kindergarten next year and once he can read the manual, he can teach me.  Same goes for the Garmin on the boat.  Makes pretty pictures and tells me the depth, but don't know how to lay a crum line or get back home yet.  Forget waypoints and numbers. 

Old dog needs new tricks.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:02:52 AM »
Have to agree with everything said about my etrex. Including marking buck scrapes. After coming out onto a road that I "thought" was the right dirt road (how many ridges was that?) and not knowing which way to the truck, I decided it was time and have never been sorry. It gets used every trip in unfamiliar and big areas. Does not replace a compass, but they sure don't get worn out like they used to.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »
Ive got 3 gps units. One expensive garmin one expensive delorne and a etrex. I use the etrex twice as much as both the others combined. batterys last long enough that you can trust it to get you home and most of the bells and whistles on the other two are so seldom used that they were about a waste of money. Only downside to the etrex is that its not a great performer when in the swamps or thick woods. You about have to find a small opening in the cover to get a good signal.
blue lives matter

Offline credns

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 05:12:16 AM »
Credns here. Twelve years ago was Tucoblue. Nothing else has changed in twelve years with that original eTrex. Still use that old unit. Still successfully takes me where it's suppsed to even in new territory. Don't use him (Solly) as much now due to my age. This age thing doesn't bother Solly.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2024, 03:39:27 PM »
Had a Magellan for a good while,
and it was ok in the open out from
under any canopy.
The best use I got from it was in
the Gulf of M away from any visible
landmarks or rigs.
IMO better than the compass or
Loran C