Author Topic: Now what do we do?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Now what do we do?
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
Now that the election results are in, it's easy to see that Illinois gun owners have a long road ahead. Thanks, in part, to a liberal effort at redrawing political district maps in their favor, and thanks to a voting public who has little concern for our 2nd amendment rights, democrats now have a supermajority in both houses of our state legislature.  With that, they are free to do as they please raising taxes, putting stricter controls on firearms, and whatever else suits their fancy. I never thought I'd see it happen, but I believe this is the beginning of the end for Illinois.  It's tough for me to admit defeat - Illinois has always been my home. However, I'm left with the question: leave while the gettin is good, or stay and fight the good fight? Fellow Illinoisans, what do you plan to do?

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Now what do we do?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
CJ-  It really boils down to how much BS you are willing to deal with, and how mobile you are.  I know moving can be a big step.  I was born and raised in CT.  As I grew up, the state became more and more liberal, expensive to live in, and traffic was a nightmare..(All pet peeves of mine).  Working for the federal gvt. at the time, when I was offered a promotion to a post in PA, I jumped on it, and never regretted it - low cost of living, great hunting and fishing, lots of quiet back country roads for riding my bikes..  Did miss some of the friends I grew up with, but when I go back to visit, and have to sit in traffic on I-84 as soon as I hit the state line, see what my friends are paying in taxes,  and in hushed tones, nervously show me an illegal 30 round magazine like its a bag of heroin or something, I don't regret my choice..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 01:46:17 PM »
im stuck here till im 65 then we are gone i love this state this is home but its time to part ways
i have lived in the same town sense i was a kid my kids went to the same schools and hung out
at the same places that i me and my wife did 
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:58:35 AM »
Bigeasy, it's doulbe hard to move when you come from a big family and all your blood is here, also. My only hope is to keep voting.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
I lean toward "wait and see."  Who knows what'll happen.  I have a lot of family here, and id like to stay...However, Indiana, Missouri, and Kentucky all look more and more friendly as time passes.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
I was born, raised and a resident for 35 years. Moving is a tough thing.

Go now while you can enjoy another state. This life is not the dress rehearsal. You will meet and become friends with more people. Your current friends are and will still be your friends. You will quickly find out whom of them were simply aquantences and not really friends. Family, well that can be another thing all together...

I found I had exactly one friend or perhaps he had only one friend.

Life is short, you ought to be enjoying this one. Illinois really isn't that special despite what you have been led to believe.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
Empty Quiver, where do you currently reside?
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »
Empty Quiver, where do you currently reside?
Steve
Mn. by way of In. for a few years.

I love winter, always have. This state has its political foolishness, but somehow is able to stay rooted to many old customs and ideas. We have a carry permit system, note carry, and not concealed carry. The wolf hunt has been implemented this fall. Fishing opener is like a state holiday, as is deer opener. By and large the "progressive laws, their pet projects" are pretty reasonable up here or at least they do not make a point of taunting you or rubbing your face in them. Again this is not a conservative paradise, but the liberals are not as many generations removed from reality.

Indiana, politicly was much closer to my beliefs. The local judge once told me she could fit Indiana's laws into a single office, whereas Illinois laws would require an entire building by comparison. One thing I found odd while living there was what I called the hillbilly hoosiers and the Purdue hoosiers. People you met could be swiftly divided into one of those two camps, very few tried to split the middle. 

I would be very happy to move back to Indiana. I transfered to Minnesota 10 years ago and am glad I did, much better opportunities here for the kids and myself for that matter.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »
Illinois really isn't that special despite what you have been led to believe.

I've not been led to believe anything.  I am capable of forming my own opinions.  I know there's nothing special about Illinois, and I know there's opportunity elsewhere in the country.  I am more reluctant to leave because here, in Illinois, I am close to everything I know and love.  My family is all in Illinois, and so is the family farm.  Sure, I could find another full-time job somewhere else, but I cant take the farm with me.  Farming, hunting, and fishing on family land gives me the greatest feeling of accomplishment imaginable.  Being no more than a few hours' drive from friends and family is very comforting.

I know what's going on in this state - no one's pulled the wool over my eyes.  I don't like the direction we're headed, and I get the feeling we cant do anything to change it - at least not anytime soon.  Moving isn't easy, and this is a decision I may have to struggle with for a while.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
I find it hard to believe that many here refuse to fill in their profile into, like where they live and how old they are? Some who've given advice don't even live in Illiinois but, live in states that habitually vote as much against guns rights as our state. Pot calling the kettle black? I suppose I believe all should work for our rights to own guns.
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
Illinois really isn't that special despite what you have been led to believe.
By this I meant that every state has the things it is proud of. Being born and raised in Illinois (hell I lived and worked adjacent to the Lincoln Herritage Trail) I thought everyone nearly worshipped Lincoln. After I moved I found that many people know him as a President and very little else. By God they can tell you about all Hubert Humphrey, and the history of professional wrestling here in Mn. ::) 

I've not been led to believe anything.  I am capable of forming my own opinions.  I know there's nothing special about Illinois, and I know there's opportunity elsewhere in the country.  I am more reluctant to leave because here, in Illinois, I am close to everything I know and love.  My family is all in Illinois, and so is the family farm.  Sure, I could find another full-time job somewhere else, but I cant take the farm with me.  Farming, hunting, and fishing on family land gives me the greatest feeling of accomplishment imaginable.  Being no more than a few hours' drive from friends and family is very comforting.

I know what's going on in this state - no one's pulled the wool over my eyes.  I don't like the direction we're headed, and I get the feeling we cant do anything to change it - at least not anytime soon.  Moving isn't easy, and this is a decision I may have to struggle with for a while.
You have a hell of a lot more invested, both financialy and historically in the state, than I ever did. I would no more sell a farm than my leg, I envy you that farm.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure a way I could farm for a living. Got an Ag degree, worked in the industry for 12 years or so. I seriously considered becomeing a farm hand to get my foot further in the door. Finally decided I did not have the stomach for the huge risk. I can't stand to spend $20 at the Blackjack tables, let alone drop several hundred an acre in fertilizer and seed and rent.  Guess that is why most of the farmers I know are nervous as hell, I would get up at night to throw up once a week.

I had no such good reason to stay. Honestly I've always had an itch to see what another area is like. Every time I move it has been better than the last place, so my experiences have been positive. Further North or Wyoming is my next move if it comes a good opportunity.

Offline swiftman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
I farm the land my father was born and died on.
You all can run, but I'll stand and fight.