Author Topic: Petraeus resigns after affair.  (Read 1827 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Petraeus resigns after affair.
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
Read full story at link. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

The decision abruptly ends the public-service career of one of the military's most vaunted leaders. He led the surge in Iraq, and was later tapped to lead U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan -- following two years at the helm of U.S. Central Command. In April 2011, Obama again tapped Petraeus to lead the CIA.

He leaves just three days after Obama was elected to a second term, and amid a challenging environment for the country's intelligence community -- which is dealing with not just rogue nations like Iran but a changing landscape elsewhere as a result of the Arab Spring. It has been confirmed that the U.S. compound that was attacked in Libya housed CIA operatives as well as State Department staff.

The intelligence community subsequently came under scrutiny when some officials suggested the administration initially claimed the attack was "spontaneous" only because of the intelligence assessments at the time.
Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said Friday that Petraeus' resignation "represents the loss of one of our nation's most respected public servants."
Lawmakers on Capitol Hill expressed similar sentiments.
"General David Petraeus will stand in the ranks of America's greatest military heroes. His inspirational leadership and his genius were directly responsible -- after years of failure -- for the success of the surge in Iraq," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said. "General Petraeus has devoted his life to serving the country he loves, and America is so much the better for it."
Fox News' Mike Levine contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/09/petraeus-resigns-as-cia-director/#ixzz2BmDnvsRy
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Defoe

• Contributor
Re: Petraeus resigns after affair.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
since when does the CIA director have time for an affair??  there's more to it.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
And just when he was scheduled to testify under oath............

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Yeah tobster! And how ever so convenient!!
Man , you would think the head of the CIA would have been more discreet if this is true. 
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline scootrd

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
My families heart goes out to him and Holly during what must be a most strained time in their marital relationship.
We thank you for your service during our nations most difficult time. My families prayers are with you both.

Semper Fi
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
maybe obama knew he screwed up the embassy ordeal, and sat on it till after election time.  whether lame duck on re-elected, now is the time to burn people quietly.

I've noticed that a LOT of people that have worked for obama through the years have been picked up by his team, caught doing something stupid, protected during the media frenzy, quietly dumped after the furor calms, and replaced .. .. ..... AFTER their usefulness is timed out for whatever reason.  either a lot of people hate obama and ruin his underlings to get at him indirectly, or he likes to roll over on them if he can get away with it.  if it's the latter then I applaud it.  I don't think most on capitol hill rat on each other because they're almost all EXTREMELY DIRTY and can't risk retaliation.  petraeus DID cheat on his wife and DID run the show when that embassy went down, so down he goes too... maybe not "righteous" but justice none- the- less.  makes me wonder how many troops he was willing to sacrifice to "hold the line" in the M/E?

Online JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 05:59:44 PM »
Semper Fi

Seems like Petraeus doesn't know what that means, or at the very least doesn't know how to live by it.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline joeinwv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »
Why is he not testifying?

Does having a mistress somehow affect his knowledge of the events of 9/11?

It's just a shame how disposable some of our truly honorable men turn out to be. Bush & Co burned down Colin Powell to justify Iraq. Obama does the same to Petraeus b/c he needs a Benghazi fall guy.
<funny>

Offline Defoe

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
congress can subpoena private citizens, so he may have to testify after all.
I hope congress gets to the bottom of that mess.  somebody should have to pay for four murders.

Offline dwalk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:39:35 AM »
since when does the CIA director have time for an affair??  there's more to it.
of that...i'm certain...
don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »
I'm guessing it could be good old Chicago style politics. Get some dirt on the people close to you so you have an ace-in-the-hole in case you need to throw someone under the bus.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »
Since when is Iran a rogue nation?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
Petraeus knows to much, an affair is nothing in that circle.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »

Ever since the Shah was deposed. ::)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
I'm guessing it could be good old Chicago style politics. Get some dirt on the people close to you so you have an ace-in-the-hole in case you need to throw someone under the bus.

X2

It definitely looks like Petraeus is being made the patsy for the Obama administration.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 07:35:28 AM »

Ever since the Shah was deposed. ::)

Considering they haven't started any wars I'll give them a "Does not apply " as warmongers. What goes on internally is their business.

I'll roll mine as well  ::) ;)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
Some people won't stand back and look at the cold hard facts, and the big picture.  They wear rose tinted glasses and refuse to accept that they may be wrong.

Iran is a rouge nation.  They supplied much of the training and materials to construct road side bombs to kill our troops in Iraq and Afganistan.  Most of the insurgency throughout the middle east is sponsered by Iran.  They sponsor  Hezbola, who is fighting against Isreal along Lebanon's souther border.  They supply the Palastinians with rockets to fire into Isreal.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
Patraeus was caught whoring around with the whore who wrote his biography.

End of story.

All the conspiracy carp is childish.

Offline joeinwv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
There's a weird thing with politics and infidelity... no one cares about movie stars, business men, lawyers, doctors, teachers, cops, firemen, etc having affairs. But somehow, when a politician gets caught cheating it is some big deal.

Politicians come from the general public. They have the same incidence of vice as the rest of us.

Is there some big surprise that a guy who spent years away from his family in a war zone and now works long, demanding hours at the office had a relationship with the cute chick following him around?  Doesn't make it right, but I can see how it happened.

Petreaus should have known he needed to J Edgar it up.
<funny>

Offline Squib

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »
because if the guy is going to break his oath and the trust/validity of his marriage, what's he gonna do for us.  I think ANYONE that cheats on a spouse should be killed in some horrible fashion, but ESPECIALLY politicians/government.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 04:43:13 AM »
because if the guy is going to break his oath and the trust/validity of his marriage, what's he gonna do for us.  I think ANYONE that cheats on a spouse should be killed in some horrible fashion, but ESPECIALLY politicians/government.

If that happened the world would have a sustainable population in short order.
Marriage vows mean little in today's world. :o
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline magooch

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 04:44:11 AM »

Now that's one form of poopulation control that I hadn't thought of. 
Swingem

Offline Squib

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 05:01:47 AM »
the ucmj has a lot of statues for sexual deviance.  I wish they'd apply it, especially for a high-up, high-profile guy like him.  maybe mission plans would have been better if he wasn't busy getting off work early, to get that afterwork nookie, then lying to people about how late he had to work and how busy he was, busy with some skank, instead of being busier doing his job?  since it's known to have happened while he was till in service, he should have his rank and severence pay/benfits/etcetera taken.  he should have his knees (edit: knee caps) and his toes removed too, so he can't walk around like he's something.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 05:43:50 AM »
Some one her likes draconian laws. ;) 

I don't care where he/they dip their wicks unless it jeopardizes security. With  pepole in high Govt. office it is usually the case.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:19:58 AM »
The guy who commanded  D-day had a girl on the side , the guy who stopped the Cuban missle crisis had several girls on the side and the guy who bombed the asprin factory had some also. It's not new some say old Abe had his affairs  . Go back and read the Bible King David couldn't keep his house in order but was a good leader . Judge a man by how he does his job , let God judge how he lives his life.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 07:15:37 AM »
The guy who commanded  D-day had a girl on the side , the guy who stopped the Cuban missle crisis had several girls on the side and the guy who bombed the asprin factory had some also. It's not new some say old Abe had his affairs  . Go back and read the Bible King David couldn't keep his house in order but was a good leader . Judge a man by how he does his job , let God judge how he lives his life.
God killed Davids youngest son from his whoring around.
Tell the whole story.

It is amazing how some seem to not care if a man is whoring around but there are also some that have a snit fit when the bastard child that results is aborted.

One of the Ten Commandments deals with whoring around.

It could be creating god in one's own image but I think it is called hypocrisy.

Offline two-blocked

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 07:24:06 AM »
On the bright side, it is refreshing to see a republican involved in an affair with someone of the opposite sex.  ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
God killed Davids youngest son from his whoring around.Sorry I should have , as you point out God judged him and he paid a price but he was still a good leader and God allowed him to be one.
Tell the whole story.

It is amazing how some Christians seem to not care if a man is whoring around but have a snit fit when the bastard child that results is aborted.What is more amazing is the judgement we christians deal out knowing it's Gods place to Judge not ours. I care and would also think most care but some of us let God Judge. Some also believe each person has a purpose in life and maybe they do it well . We can agree all sin . Some of the greatest leaders we have had who not only got our freedom but have protected it have sinned . Should we have kicked them to the side after we used them ? Or as christians prayed for them and respected what they did right ?
As for whoreing around I believe the Bible addresses that also. As for abortion it's murder also a sin. But I did not know the General's affair was with a whore and did they have an abortion ?
Funny how some expand the facts way beyond the truth isn't it.
So I ask should we attack him because of his affair or look into national security laps as it applies to his job ?

I think it is called hypocrisy.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »

So I ask should we attack him because of his affair or look into national security laps as it applies to his job ?
There is only one thing greater than loyalty to one's wife and children, loyalty to God.
That is why both are in the Ten Commandments.

To ignore either is to ignore God's words.

If one will crap on one's wife and children, if there are children, then one will crap on anyone. It is called character.

The reason we are getting leaders who are pathetic in close examination is because as a society we are making ourselves little gods that have decided the only important things are those we wish to choose, God's word be damned.

The Devil is in the details, is not just an old saying.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
So you believe it is ok to judge ? All that you wrote is true but not an ansewer to the question . He has admited his sin and maybe he has ask God to forgive ( we don't know what goes on between him and God) him. So do you and I have a right to judge him on the sin or fire him for the misconduct of his office/job . Only God has the right to punish a man for sin. God also can forgive a man for his sins.