Author Topic: busted cannon  (Read 584 times)

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
busted cannon
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Do you have a paint formula for the olive color for cannon carriages?

Yep, I use the same Ford formula for the carriage as well......Black.  It originally came in a "hunter green" paint scheme.  So the barrel was a bronze sort of color (close but NO cigar).  The wheels were flat black and the carriage was this "Hunter Green" color.  This is the cannon I've posted about and it unfortunate ride with FedEx where they must have dropped the crate a good distance for the cast iron plug to bust off the barrel with its own weight to blame.  Also the carriage got all scratched up with now loose knob and loose wheels moving around.  After fixing the barrel I then had bare metal and stainless to cover along with the carriage.  The wheels were in good shape.  Since this cannon/carriage combo was not modeled after any specific historical cannon, I decided to go all flat black with that high heat RustOleum.  The piece looks like it should and now if I get any scarf marks anywhere, I have one and only one can to reach for.  That and I don't have to mask anything off since it's all black.  Seemed the easy (lazy if you will) way to go.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: busted cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »
This post was in the thread collecting formulas for paint for cannon carriages.  Since it really doesn't pertain to carriage paint formulas, I split it out for separate discussion.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
It seems like anything can get broke during shipping these days. FedEx insurance is a joke. They fight like sissy's to keep from paying. 

I have learned barrels have to ship separately from carriages and everything must be crated. Even solid bar stock can get destroyed during shipping. Nothing is safe.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
I shipped a piece of 5" (as I remember) round stock to DD.  Just stuck an address label on it.  UPS added a 50% penalty because it was not wrapped in cardboard.  As if the cardboard would have made a difference (besides increasing the weight.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Delkal

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
You should have rolled a piece of cardboard around the Metal and held it with a piece of tape.......

50% more?  What a ripoff.