Author Topic: Ultra Light Slug Hunter 20ga Update  (Read 457 times)

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Ultra Light Slug Hunter 20ga Update
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
Bought one of these that were made exclusively for Gander Mtn at the end of last year. Finally got around to getting her ready for the upcoming deer season. I sent it to Ilion for the trigger tune and the standard synthetic stock. The monte carlo synthetic it came with was too short for me and didn't feel right. Anyway, the service at H&R Ilion was great - the results were great and they had it back to me within a week!! I put on a Nikon Slughunter 1.65-5x  (great scope - lots of eye relief, sharp image and perfect finger adjustable dials) with aTalley lightweight mount. Very easy getting on paper, no alignment problems. I did relieve one side of the forend beforehand because it was clearly off center.
With slug guns in the past I had great luck with Fed Barnes Expanders (3") but was dissapointed that they shot poorly in this gun (3 shot fired at 100y with only 1 on the 18" x 24" target!!!). Next I tried Hornady 2 3/4" SST -FTX - better but not great. Over 6" at 100y. Was about to hang things up until I tried Win Part Gold 2 3/4". They shot less than 1.25" groups at 50 and less than 2.5" at 100, so I'm very happy, especially after the dismal start. If you don't get lucky, finding the right ammo with these guns can be $$$$. So the lesson is don't give up. Hope this helps someone

Offline ropadop

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Thank God for the great outdoors!
Ultra Light Slug Hunter 20ga Update
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
Nice report. Mine didn't shoot sst very well either. I will give Win a try.
Thank God for the great outdoors!