Author Topic: Why no muzzle brakes?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Wagguy80

• Trade Count: (0)
Why no muzzle brakes?
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
Just a thought with some of the extreme .45-70 and other loads people are shooting.  Why not just add a muzzle brake, and cut that recoil down? 

Other than ear blast.  I know everyone thinks it's louder but actually it just changes the frequency of the blast.  IE it's typically less than pleasing to the ears.  However if you want real unpleasant shoot a ruger single action .22lr revolver.  Your ears will ring for days.

I've had rifles with muzzle brakes in the past, and the difference in recoil is amazing. 

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: Why no muzzle brakes?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »
Just a thought with some of the extreme .45-70 and other loads people are shooting.  Why not just add a muzzle brake, and cut that recoil down? 

Other than ear blast.  I know everyone thinks it's louder but actually it just changes the frequency of the blast. IE it's typically less than pleasing to the ears.  However if you want real unpleasant shoot a ruger single action .22lr revolver.  Your ears will ring for days.

I've had rifles with muzzle brakes in the past, and the difference in recoil is amazing. 
Ehhh? What did you say?  Could you speak louder?

Personally, I don't find the recoil of the 45-70 that punishing.  I guess you don't shoot often around other people.  The muzzle blast from a brake is a lot more disconcerting than the recoil, plus, I don't want the people on the next shooting bench trying to lynch me. 

I've never felt the need for a muzzle brake, but if I decide to shoot a bolt action .50BMG, I would all be for using a brake.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:12:31 PM »
Deafness?

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »
i've had (still have) the one and
only m.b. anything i'll ever have.
reduced muzzle rise? yes
greatly increased noise? YES
i'll put up with the recoil myself
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »
muzzle brake?? NO THANK YOU!!!  Been there tried that, definitely more noise than they are worth.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline tomme boy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »
I love muzzle breaks. It is so nice to be able to watch the bullets strike the plates we shoot at. You should have hearing protection on anyway, so why not a break. I can't tell any difference when I wear my muffs.

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »
Also depends on the gas pressure at the muzzle. Breaks are most effective at reducing recoil the higher the pressure is at the muzzle.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »
A friend of mine had his gunsmith port his .30-06.  He used it the next season in a blind for deer.  He said "It blew the empty beer cans off the shelf".  He took it back to the smithy and had the barrel cut and re-crowned.  Personally, I have no use for them.  I'm only 150 lbs, but I'll put up with the recoil.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
"Why no muzzle brakes" Because they are obnoxious.  ;)

Of coarse they do not make anything louder, what they do is re direct the blast and concusive wave in a direction closer to the shooter and in the direct path of anything on the sides of the firearm. 

I have shot a number of Marlins with them and found them objectionable. I had a Mauser built into a 35 Whelen and listened to others about the horriffic recoil of the 250g bullets from a big Whelen. Well, as we all know, recoil is very subjective. I do not at all find the recoil of my 2600 fps 250g slugs objectionable. My Whelen is almost 9#, and wears a good Pachmayer Decellorator pad on a Kevlar stock that is designed to handle heavier recoil.

Even with hearing protection, the blast is objectionable to anyone on the range. Dust of blown off the roof rafters... SOUND alone dosen't do that.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Wagguy80

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 02:45:56 AM »
I shoot my .444 marling, .30-06 and my fathers .45-70 without trouble. 

Just some of the handloads I have seen are downright punishing.  I recall one muzzle brake years ago a guy had on a .30-06 that reduced the recoil so much you could shoot it one handed with almost no muzzle flip.

Offline keith44

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 04:57:47 AM »
so if muzzle brakes are "all that" why not get a 458 Lott, or .416 Rigby and have a muzzle brake installed and call that a deer rifle?

Life member NRA

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 06:34:38 AM »
I only own 1 with a muzzle brake. I had a permanent one put on so that it would make a 14" barrel 17" long and be legal as a rifle, not for recoil reduction. As some have said, recoil is relative. As a youth, I never shot a center fire anything rifle. I did shoot a 12 gauge pump, but never for pleasure, only for hunting and I never noticed the recoil. Anyway, when I got a 44 Magnum rifle (a light carbine without a recoil pad), to me, it seemed to kick very heavy, not a pleasant experience at all. But I hung in there and now it does not bother me at all, in fact, it is now pleasant to shoot. I guess the point is, if you hang in there and shoot a heavy kicker, you will get used to it. You just can not develop a flinch getting there. If you really can not handle the recoil very well, get a removable brake with a thread protector. That way you can practice with the muzzle brake on. Take it off for a few shots to "learn" the recoil. Once you are used to the recoil you do not need a brake. You could also take it off while hunting or do away with it once you get used to the recoil, your choice. Or you could get a lead sled which will take the punishment away at the bench. Like I said earlier when you are shooting at a deer or a rabbit or what ever, you will not notice the recoil. I know a 20 year old female that shoots a 500 S&W Handi for deer. If she can handle it, anyone should be able to handle it. BTW - She wanted one because that is what her dad shoots. Her father bought it from a fellow that could not handle the recoil ;D

Good Luck and Good Shooting     
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 06:52:46 AM »
A friend of mine had his gunsmith port his .30-06.  He used it the next season in a blind for deer.  He said "It blew the empty beer cans off the shelf".  He took it back to the smithy and had the barrel cut and re-crowned.  Personally, I have no use for them.  I'm only 150 lbs, but I'll put up with the recoil.

Pete

might be part of the problem?  Anyways, I think that on a handi it might cause barrel latch slipping under heavy recoil (pop-opens are supposed to be an issue on some anyways).  I don't think I'd want to add a bunch of stuff like that to a handi anyways, keep it plain and simple (faster in action and LITE) as it was designed to be.  Bolts and ARs are for that add-on stuff.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 07:20:52 AM »
I had a 45/70 with a MB on it and sent it down the road just to loud it was a 22" BBL WITH A 3" BRAKE I wore plugs and muffs and still was not my cup of tea. I have the 06 with the comp on it  but don't shoot it to much but when I do it sure get bad looks from others at the bench.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:29:31 AM »
Many people have the tendency not to use hearing protection.  Then they go and shoot a gun with a brake and do serious damage to their hearing.  So rather than use proper hearing protection they just don't use brakes.

I always use hearing protection even while hunting.  I like brakes and have them on most of my guns.  Not to reduce recoil to prevent pain but to be able to see my bullet strike.  I want to see the reaction of the animal I shoot.  That tells you a lot, as to whether a second shot is going to be needed or not.  Pluds brakes have the advantage of dispursing the sound so the animal don't know where you are.  If multiple animals that can be an advantage for taking a second or third animal.

Love my brakes.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »
i do wear both plugs and muffs
when shooting. muzzles brakes
are like everything else- they're
not for everyone. they're sure not
for me. (didn't everyone do this in
another spot?) :-\
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »
I also always wear eye and ear protection when shooting.
Before my explosion accident  :-\ (I lost most of my HF/ML hearing and concussion) I did not wear it when hunting. Now with constant ringing and imeadiately migraine from such a sound I must wear hearing protection and cannot drive at night. Cause the first idiot with poorly adjusted or simply high beams has me looking for a quiet dark place... >:(
I purchased a set of electronic amplified hearing protection. Mostly for hunting/shooting.  I have been wearing them during my practice sessions and weekly pistol matches and I like them so much I bought a second set for my wofe who also loves them. They allow me to fire my rifles without pain.
Recoil.. Huh it's nothing to the dibilitation pain of a 3-4 hour migraine...

I made my decisions against muzzle brakes over twenty years ago... Now for me, it's something I cannot be around. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »
Back in the day, BHP (before hearing protection) I would rather shoot a 44 mag than a 4" 357!  Talk about loud!  But it comes down to an injury a few years ago damaged my back so that recoil at the leven of 400 gr 45-70 at 1600 fps will hurt.  I sold my 45-70 Handi but I should have put a brake on it.  They have their place.  Since my 30's (I'm 66 now) I have worn hearing protection and have shot and owned several guns with muzzle brakes and notice little difference in the noise.  (I too added a brake to a 14" tc barrel to make it a rifle legal length)  Ken Kelly is a friend of mine and I also have several guns that are ported; I like that also and seems about 70% as effective at a brake.  So my conclusion is that with proper hearing protection it's not a big deal, but helps those of us who find a little extra recoil reduction necessary.  I like 'em.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline tomme boy

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »
Just about everyone I have talked to that does not like them do not wear any hearing protection. A lot has to do with the type of muzzle-break  The vias type that is on most hunting rifles, work well. But they are the worst for the shooter and others as to noise. They blow dirt in all directions. I like a 1 or 2 port.

For all of you guys that say you will deal with the recoil, you do not shoot enough to take advantage of one. Lets see you shoot 300+ rds of 308 win in a day and we will see if you develop a flinch or not. With a break you will not even feel like you shot 20.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
Amen!  Well put Tomme Boy!
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline keith44

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
actually he also pointed out that most of us do not need to shoot many rounds weekly or even yearly.  In a hunting situation the extra perceived noise is not worth it.
Life member NRA

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
the only rifle I have with a brake is a rem 700 VTR and that one doesn't flash or make it significantly louder, but they're BIG slots so maybe the gas isn't pressurized enough to hiss/ring bad enough to make it awful, maybe .308 is mild enough in that barrel length to be tame? 

as for getting a flinch from shooting lots per range trip, get a decent recoil pad.  remington r3 is good, I know the tackiness would slow a snapshot, but I don't take texas heartshots so it's not an issue for me in the woods, and I don't shoot animals at the range.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
I have a MB on a 308x444 Handi and it will allow me to see bullet impact at 100 yards or further.  I am mostly deaf but I still have to wear plugs under my muffs to shoot this gun.  I only shoot it at my gun club when I am the only person at the range.   The removal of this MB is on my todo list.
BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »
For long days at the range and heavy loads I use a Past Recoil pad  http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous  Use to think these were for sissies and old men.  Then I got old and had a long fight with lyme decease.  Now this is my shooting bag a lot.  50 + rounds and no issues.  I hate shooting next to some one with a muzzle brake so much I would never get one for myself.

=FLASH=
=FLASH=

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline tomme boy

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
Sweeeeeeeeet guns!!!!!!!

Them are the same breaks I like to use. Are they from RWS? or are they a JP?

Offline quatroclick

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 01:24:47 AM »
The cumulative effects of recoil can definitely get me to flinch some after a long shooting session.  However, at the range, a shooter in the next station shooting a 300 magnum with a muzzle brake will immediately have me flinching.  I don't own any braked guns, but if I did, I wouldn't shoot them at a crowded range.  I think it might be kind of neat to have a light weight 458 win mag with a brake......

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 01:20:54 AM »
Sweeeeeeeeet guns!!!!!!!

Them are the same breaks I like to use. Are they from RWS? or are they a JP?
They are Ross Schuler brakes... link below;

http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline cabledad

• Life Member of the NRA Cable Pioneer
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 01:53:09 AM »
The only rifle I hav ewith a muzzlebrake is a 45 70 Encore I only shoot the 405 remington ammo.Its real pleasant to shoot.But I don't shoot anything with out hearing protection.It took me 35 years to realize I have ruined my hearing with out it.