Author Topic: Papa Johns says obummercare will likely force cuts in employees hours.  (Read 1599 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Thanks liberal democrats. POWDERMAN.  CEO of Papa John's says employees' hours will likely be cut due to ObamaCare  Published November 11, 2012
FoxNews.com   
  •    
  The CEO of popular pizza chain Papa John's says his employees may face reduced hours and he expects his business costs to rise because President Obama's re-election most likely insures the president's health care reform law will be implemented in full.

NaplesNews.com reports John Schnatter made the remarks to a small group at Edison State College's Collier County campus the day after the election.
Schnatter, who supported Mitt Romney in the election, said all Americans having health insurance under ObamaCare is a good, but estimates the change will cost Papa John's $5 million to $8 million annually.

Schnatter estimated that these rising costs could adversely affect his workers. Since only full-time employees working 30 hours or more must be covered under the new law, he said he expects franchise owners will be forced to cut employees' hours because they can't afford the costs of health insurance plans.
"That's probably what's going to happen," he said according to NaplesNews.com. "It's common sense. That's what I call lose-lose."

The comments were not Schnatter's first statements on ObamaCare. He made headlines in August for telling shareholders the law may lead to increases in the price of his pizza.
In addition, the Applebee’s family restaurant chain is under public attack, including the threat of boycotts after New York-area franchisee Zane Tankel told Fox Business Network that cost increases related to implementing ObamaCare might result in no expansion or additional hiring. Critics appear to have interpreted Tankel’s comments to mean he will layoff customers as a result of ObamaCare.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/11/ceo-papa-john-says-employees-hours-will-likely-be-cut-due-to-obamacare/#ixzz2BvLuBMEv
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline two-blocked

Re: Papa Johns says obummercare will likely force cuts in employees hours.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:27 AM »
Papa John's to raise pizza prices if 'Obamacare' survives: CEO

Get ready to pay more for your Papa John’s pizza if "Obamacare" goes into full effect … a whopping 15 to 20 cents more.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/08/business/la-fi-mo-papa-johns-pizza-obamacare-20120808

Maybe this burdensome upcharge will inspire people to eat healthier.

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:05:41 AM »
Papa John's to raise pizza prices if 'Obamacare' survives: CEO

Maybe this burdensome upcharge will inspire people to eat healthier.

Maybe this is just the obama health care comming up with a way to get over weight Americans to lose weight.
STARVE THEM!

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:28:37 AM »
Rush's program on Friday addressed this.  He had 5 pages listing the firms, large and small) that had laid off thousands due to the election. 

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:30:16 AM »
Cutting hours and jobs all accross America putting less money in peoples pockets to spend on luxuries. Like food clothing, shelter, etc. All part of husseins plan to destroy us. A store just dwn the road will close after the 1st of the year leaving 15-20 more out of work. Thank a liberal or 2. Thanks obama supporters. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 05:08:10 AM »
He shouldn't be in business if he can't keep up with the national healthcare plan.  Same thing with illegal workers.  If he can't afford American workers, then he needs to leave.  Hiring American workers will increase his business.  Look at In and Out Burger.  They pay more to employees and the American consumer in turn gets service.  We want to improve the standard of living for everybody, employees and consumers.  Products need to be labeled because in a first-world country we want to know what we are eating.  Clean air and water are also important.  If the business can't provide an employee with first-world standards, then he really should go into some other line of work. 

Bye, bye Romney.  Hello Obama!   ;D     
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 05:33:48 AM »
Well duhhhhh! We had ENDLESS threads about the pitfalls of Obama, whom has "long since been identified", now we will have ENDLESS threads of the CONSEQUENCES of the last election. THE REPUBLICANS FAILED AGAIN TO HAVE A DECENT CANDIDATE! DID YOU NOTICE THAT? THE DEMS SUCK! BUT THE REPUBLICAN MACHINE SUCKS WORSE! THEY COULDN'T FIELD A DECENT CANDIDATE! AGAIN! ::)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline DDZ

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:43:40 AM »
A study done last year reported that the majority of employers that understood Obamacare would be forced to remove their employees health coverage. So once this happens people will be forced to depend on the government for health care. It will never be repealed. We had our chance a few days ago. Now we are going to reap what we have sown.
It isn't like the public was clamoring for government health care. We got it because the democrats had 60 votes. So the democrats will use their idea of funding Obamacare, like they do for their endless other government programs. Tax the rich, and just keep taxing them, no matter how high they have to be raised. They cannot grasp that doubling tax rates will not double government revenues, because people will not work as hard for half the money. I'm sure our government will just print up some more money to fund Obamacare. Just so those government programs are funded, so what if we need a bushel basket of money to buy a loaf of bread. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 05:44:32 AM »
Well duhhhhh! We had ENDLESS threads about the pitfalls of Obama, whom has "long since been identified", now we will have ENDLESS threads of the CONSEQUENCES of the last election. THE REPUBLICANS FAILED AGAIN TO HAVE A DECENT CANDIDATE! DID YOU NOTICE THAT? THE DEMS SUCK! BUT THE REPUBLICAN MACHINE SUCKS WORSE! THEY COULDN'T FIELD A DECENT CANDIDATE! AGAIN! ::)

The reaction by 18-29 yr olds was the right one.  They looked at the issues and voted for the right man.  I'm proud of our educated young.  They steered clear of the Fox News, Sean Hannity manure. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 05:49:28 AM »
The Republican establishment could not find a turd in a septic tank. Ann Coulter told them plainly, if Romney is the candidate, we will lose.
That did not take a genius. Akin here in Missouri is a prime example. If Sarah Steelman had won the primary, she would be the senator. Instead, I was forced to vote for a woman I despise and have for years. I told the pollster that called- Akin made me believe in miracles again! I thought a biker gang with chains and running a hot poker you know where could not have made me vote for McCaskill, but Akin did. Before I would let someone that ignorant into office I would vote for a bag of doggie doo. Which is close to what I did.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 06:17:55 AM »
twoshooter, you need to do some reading. Ann Coulter said that Romney was a MAGNIFICENT presidential candidate, on any news outlet that would listen.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »
That ought to really stimulate this economy and get it going in the right direction with strong growth...

Thanks to Obama Care, even thought I have health care already, I will be reduced from 40 hours a week to just 24 at my job, thats if my company can even remain viable.  Not sure there will be anyway to avoid filing for Bankruptcy after the first of the year as a result.  I just dont see how I can possibly take 40% pay cut even with a part time job I am already working and still make ends meet.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »
Sorry dude, I watched the speech, saw her mouth move, I don;t need to be told what I actually heard in real time. Don't pee down my leg and tell me it is raining. I have been involved in the restaurant business  somewhat since the late 60's, this is not a new strategy. It has been used for years, decades, with fast food, convenience stores, various temp agency jobds etc . Any hike in costs is likely to be passed on to customers and this happens every day due to gas price fluxuation , regional temporary shortage in ingredients, weather, you name it. 14 cents per pizza (if accurate) is less than the cost added due to the number of pizzas burned , dropped, or city sales tax. If 14 cents determines whether or not you buy a pizza, you don't need to be buying pizza.
     I am not real worried about "Papa", I hear he has a 22 car garage, so he will probably be OK.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline powderman

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »
The reaction by 18-29 yr olds was the right one.  They looked at the issues and voted for the right man.  I'm proud of our educated young.  They steered clear of the Fox News, Sean Hannity manure. 

And it's abundantly clear that there are millions of liberaly educated idiots in America. A college education has nothing to do with intelligence or common sense. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 05:44:41 AM »

And it's abundantly clear that there are millions of liberaly educated idiots in America. A college education has nothing to do with intelligence or common sense. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)
Yep education does not equal intelligence. And that is abundantly clear in 2012.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
We (and by "we" I mean those of us with health insurance and/or sufficient assets to pay cash) have been getting taxed for indigent healthcare for decades.  When EMTALA came about during Reagan's term it was the guarentee that we would all end up footing the bill for uninsured sick people, it was just a question of how much, and how. 

This country is never going to go back to a system that allows hostpitals to refuse critically ill people who can't pay.  Right or wrong, those days are over.  So understanding that, the question is what do you do about it.  Doctors, hospitals, and Republicans did a good job of defeating a single payers system when Hillary pushed it.  They not only beat it, they killed the idea.  But the reality is that the problem not only still existed, it was getting worse.  In the intervening years that coalition didn't get out in front with a viable plan, which meant eventually someone else would.  Healthcare billing is ridiculous, healthcare costs are unbelievable, and seemingly uncontrollable.  To say it's not a problem is to say that you don't understand reality.

I've floated this idea for years, including most recently in this thread:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=226742.0

First, for limited government types such as myself, lets by honest.  We can't do nothing.  We must operate in reality, and reality says that EMTALA or it's substitute is here and must be addressed.  Since that is the case, what do we do to pay for that, and what, if anything, can be done to make it cheaper?  I've advocated for a two tiered system for years.  Those of us who pay for healthcare deserve what we pay for.  Those who do not, deserve what they get.  County hospitals with DOs and FMGs and second hand equipment seems reasonable to me. 

Unfortunately, I think that opportunity is past.  Too many "Conservatives" sat for too long and complained without any plan to create a real fix.  Now instead of us socializing the cost through our hospital payments, we are socializing it through taxes and increased costs.  It's not a good thing, it's not a good system, it involves more government in our lives, and it will not be cost effective.  But by doing nothing, advancing no idea, or by not being itellectually honest enough to address reality, this is what we get.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »

Are you talking about the same ones who figured they shouldn't have to pay back loans ? the ones who can't get a job ? Our brain washed young might be more to the point.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 09:04:34 AM »
All the final rules and regs are still being worked out. At this time business does not really know how it will be affected by Obamacare, so if they are reducing employee hours or lay off they are doing it out of uncertainly or as an excuse because their bottom dollar has not yet been affected one way or the other. Those of you who say your premiums have gone up due to Obamacare are incorrect. I don't know about you all but my premiums have gone up almost every year that I have been in the workforce, that was long before Obama.
GuzziJohn

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 09:15:31 AM »

That is what happens when they come out of school reading and writing at a second grade level.

They cannot understand what it says so they just sit a look at the pretty pictures.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »
Yea, like let's vote for it so we can see what's in it.  We are going into recession next year because of the health care fiasco, more taxes on the rich, no real cuts in the federal budget, the world falling apart like the middle east, Europe is in recession now.   Stock market has gone down since the election.  Well, so much for Obama's policies now.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
http://www.papajohns.com/twomillionpizza/

How could Papa afford to do this? Somebody is lying. Papa? Fox news? Powderman?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline powderman

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »

Cheese

CHEESEHEAD. No doubt he's got big bucks, the point of the thread is that a lot of businesses will ge cutting hours and laying off thanks to obamacare. This will hurt America, which I believe is husseins goal. BTW, I never saw or heard of anybody getting one of those free pizzas. POWDERMAN.  ;) ;)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 01:42:36 AM »
My point is that you will copy and paste anything with zero research or understanding.  :P :P

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 02:51:39 AM »
A pizza cost what to make $5?  $10 million in pizza give-a-ways for a national company is nothing.  Just to advertize for about 30 seconds nationwide runs in the millions.  The company may turn over $100's of millons, but may take $100's of millons to operate, pay employees, insurance rent on stores, utility bills etc.  Giving away a few pizzas is beans.  Just to provide basic health care costs and average of $1.85 per hour per employee.  The penalty with the feds is $1.10.  Which is cheaper?  Premium health care costs more.  The prices are also rising.  There will be a huge drain on doctors with 85 million new added users.  Of course most are young people who didn't buy insurance before anyway.  This is happening to a whole list of companies.  Rules are if they are part time, you don't have to provide insurance.  So, hmm, most companies are cutting hours to make everyone part time, except management.  Some great health care fiasco.  Hope all the obama supporters are happy destroying our economy.  My wife works the stock market.  She sees the trend that we will go back into recession by June next year.  All signs and indicators show that. 

Capital gains are going from 15% tax to 20%.  This affects all pensions, 401-k's etc.  It also affects capital gains on selling your home to downsize. 

Income tax will go up at least on those making over $60,000 or at least over $200,000.  So doctors will pay more tax, thus their fees will rise, thus insurance will cost more. 

There are already lawsuits to FORCE companies to provide ABORTION, like Hobby Lobby, in their insurance plans.  Owner is a devout christian and doesn't want that.  Same with Cracker Barrel, same with Chick-fil-a.  Longhorns, Red Lobster, and Olive Garden are all cutting hours to make more part time employees to keep prices down.  Many, many retailers are going to do this. 

People making less money will spend less, thus the economy will suffer more.

We currently can't build pipelines cross country, can't drill offshore, can't drill on government leased lands, can't drill anymore in Alaska.  Only private land can be drilled on.  Oh, the oil coming out of North Dakota and Canada is being shipped via railroad tanker to Oklahoma and Texas since the pipeline couldn't be built.  Warren Buffet owns the railroad in this area doing the shipping.  He supported Obama.  Crony capitalism to say the least.  The pipeline can deliver far more oil at LESS RISK to the environment than a railroad car that can leak or derail. 

Obama is manipulating the economy to his socialist idealism like Hitler did in the 1930's in Germany when he used his manufacturers to begin making war equipment.  Only Obama is wanting windmills, solar power, and electric cars.  None are cost effective nationwide and won't be for 50-100 years at least.  In the meantime we have 213 million gasoline and diesel vehicles on the road needing fuel.  All train engines except subways, all ships, all planes.  None of that is going anywhere soon.  In the meantime our economy suffers and struggles with a pent up desire to breakout, and it is being snuffed out with this socialist idealism stuff that don't work.

Offline scootrd

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:10 AM »
don't knock a college education, out of envy for those having one, just because of politics; same thing with intelligence.
Cheese
CHEESEHEAD. No doubt he's got big bucks, the point of the thread is that a lot of businesses will ge cutting hours and laying off thanks to obamacare. This will hurt America, which I believe is husseins goal.POWDERMAN.  ;) ;)

flip side - there are going to be some jobs generated by health care legislation, too - point is, if you're gonna look at costs, look at benefits. I'm implementing an EHR system which may not have been implemented without some gov't prodding. Glad to have the work.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline jhm

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 04:13:11 AM »
     It doesnt matter how many cars he has or how many pizzas he gives away, a business  any business will always try to maintain a certain  profit level as they should to avoid unforseen expen. and if cutting hours of employes or not hiring anymore employes is what it takes they need to do it or fail, any business owner who doesnt know what it costs him on a daily basis to open the doors wont be in business long, cutting expenses is the 1st. line of defence.  Jim

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 05:20:10 AM »
Any jobs created by Obamacare will probably be government jobs, which we can't afford right now as a nation.  Obama knows this, he wants us to become a second rate power, not a superpower.  He thinks we interfere in other's business too much.  Most of our interventions overseas has been to keep the status quo, not to dominate.  To contain communism, later to keep the peace.  We as a nation didn't ask to be a superpower, we became on after WWII by accident.  We were backed into it.   Yes we have made some mistakes, but we haven't dominated like colonial powers which Obama thinks we are.  He created Obamacare to cost tax money to take money away from the military.  He also doesn't want our nation to be the top economic power, but just another economy.  Health care is 20% of the economy, he knows this, and he wants government to control it. 

Offline Anna

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 06:25:33 AM »
don't knock a college education, out of envy for those having one, just because of politics; same thing with intelligence.
Cheese
CHEESEHEAD. No doubt he's got big bucks, the point of the thread is that a lot of businesses will ge cutting hours and laying off thanks to obamacare. This will hurt America, which I believe is husseins goal.POWDERMAN.  ;) ;)

flip side - there are going to be some jobs generated by health care legislation, too - point is, if you're gonna look at costs, look at benefits. I'm implementing an EHR system which may not have been implemented without some gov't prodding. Glad to have the work.

LOL , here we go again. College education = people who have one but can't find jobs.
Just like what we saw in Russia after the fall of the USSR. Where it seemed like everyone had a PHD  or a BS.But by western standards they couldn't even tie their shoe laces without an instruction    manual showing them how to do that.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »
I have phd inlaws that are that way.  Lot of book sense, not common sense.  Never worked outside of school in the real world.  Elitist liberals who think education will solve all the worlds problems.  My wife and I make almost as much as them.  We have pensions and 401k's.  All they have are government pensions.  They teach at Auburn University, yet want their kids to go to an Ivy league school and are going to pay for it, yet Auburn has offered full scholorships because of their kids grades and they work there.  We told them that they could get their first 4 years there, and then go somewhere else to get their masters and phd's.  Oh, and they didn't save for their kids education, expected them to get scholorships like they did.  They both went to Brown.  Oldest daughter is a sr in high school yet can't get her SAT or ACT score high enough to get into an Ivy league school, but can at almost any other school in the country.