Author Topic: Strong Cannon  (Read 770 times)

Offline Machine Tom

• Trade Count: (0)
Strong Cannon
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
I have an 18" Strong Bronze signal cannon. Does any know if the trunnions are screwed on or brazed on, They appear that there is no filet where the trunnion meets the barrel, so I'm inclined to think screw in, but they could be furnace brazed and that would leave no filet.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Strong Cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
have not seen a Strong cannon.... Photo's always help.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
Machine Tom,

So, an 18" Strong. Is that the tube length or, OAL? If it's the tube is it an 8ga? Anyway, I'm just curious.

As, for your question. I have never removed a trunnion on a Strong. But, I have on a Brown and they are pretty much built the same way. The Brown screws out as seen below. So, I'm 99% sure yours screw out.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »

KABAR2,

Shame on you....  ;D ;D ;D

See below. This one is a 3ga.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
Intoodeep,
Thanks for the info; I always thought that the barrels were cast solid and then machined.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »

KABAR2,

Shame on you....  ;D ;D ;D

See below. This one is a 3ga.

Yeah ... Yeah .... O.K....... me bad....  ::)  it was late and I didn't have any coffee ... that's my story and I'm going to stick with it...
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium