Author Topic: Will Buffalo Classic forend work for new smaller barrels?  (Read 561 times)

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Will Buffalo Classic forend work for new smaller barrels?
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
I have a Buffalo Classic.  The grandchildren would enjoy having .22lr and a .243Win barrels to shoot.  And, with some of my younger, less experienced shooters, I prefer having a rifle where I can see if it is cocked or not.
Would the Buffalo Classic forend work/look okay with these barrels?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Will Buffalo Classic forend work for new smaller barrels?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
It will fit on the other barrels fine, but there will be a larger gap on each side.  If you free float the fore end like most do, this isn't an issue, only a visual.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »
Like tacklebury said it'll fit without a problem.  As far as looks go, if your worried about looks, just buy a pallet wood or synthetic stock set from the classifieds (about $50), and it'll look like any other Handi.  That way, you don't have to worry about getting dings on the BC furniture.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:07:14 PM »
The only .22 barrel that will fit that SB2 frame is a Versa-Pack.  The bore is offset so the firing pin hits the rim.  The Sportster barrels won't work.  Every once in a while a Vers-Pack comes up in the Classifieds.  Keep your eyes open.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:10 AM »
It would look better with the 45 Colt Carbine forestock on than the longer BC one, which is proportioned for a long barrel. BTW, the 'palletwood' schnable forestock is the same length as the carbine's. There is an even shorter wood one for the youth shotgun that proportions up nicely, no schnable though. A plain buttplate shotgun stock with the wrist straightened would give you a good classic look and handling, if the pull isnt too long for the young shooters, otherwise you might want to consider getting a youth buttstock too, or cutting down a cheap palletwood one.
Give us an idea of what pull you need and somebody here might have a stock their youngsters have outgrown.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
My oldest son bought a Savage youth-model .243 and it seems to be the perfect length for the kids.  The problem is he lives too far for the others to use it. 
Having the wood for a youth model rifle would probably be the best solution for what I want for them.  There are different sizes and ages of children, making it difficult to determine exactly what length-of-pull to shoot for.  I'm not altogether sure how to determine that length anyway.  I always held the gun up in the shooting position and made sure my thumb wasn't too close to my nose.  Probably wrong but it worked okay I guess.
If anyone out there has youth-model furniture or wood that you cut down for a kid please give this old grandpa a PM?  I'm not much concerned about how great it looks and I KNOW the kids couldn't care less.  I kinda enjoy refinishing the wood anyway.
BTW  My grandson has been shooting wild hogs with the .243 I mentioned.  The internal damage that little round is doing on these hogs is remarkable!

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:56:29 AM »
The only .22 barrel that will fit that SB2 frame is a Versa-Pack.  The bore is offset so the firing pin hits the rim.  The Sportster barrels won't work.  Every once in a while a Vers-Pack comes up in the Classifieds.  Keep your eyes open.

Pete
Get a .22 Hornet barrel and some brass. Look up some of the reduced loads for it using small pistol primers. That way PaPaw can control the # of shots fired.  ;)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:56:05 AM »
The 'thumb in the nose' trick is about the best! FWIW, most people can shoot a 'too short' stock better than a 'too long' one, as long as the thumb doesnt get jammed back in their face from recoil. A youth stock and a cheap slip on recoil pad will let you tune the length easy for different size kids.
You might want to broaden your appeal for a youth stock by posting on the 'want to buy' forum here.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974