Author Topic: best distances to zero 20 guage copper solids in the ultra slug gun  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
looking at 125 yards being the furthest i will shoot and the ammo will work. would i be best sighting for a 75 yard zero. This though being shots will probobly be 100 and under what would my 50 and 100 yard trajectory look like. I have shot the accutips and they shot pretty good but are really dirty but are listed at about 400 ft second faster.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: best distances to zero 20 guage copper solids in the ultra slug gun
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:27:46 AM »
     I sighted my slug gun in 1" high at 50 yards. It was 4" low at 100. Most of the deer i have killed have been between 20 and 30 yards. Don't like those 100 yard shots. ;D

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »
Was that with one of the heavy slow sabots. I am thinking the copper solids if sighted 1.25 at 50 should put me about 1 inch low at 100

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »
Was that with one of the heavy slow sabots. I am thinking the copper solids if sighted 1.25 at 50 should put me about 1 inch low at 100

I agree, pretty much that's how mine is sighted with Hornady SST slugs .

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »
Cw i would have thought the sst would do a little better than what i posted. If correct they are around 1800 260 bullet listed speed so thought they would be a little flatter than the copper solids. They are only going 1450 advertized speed with a 5/8 ounce bullet. I guess if that is what you are getting i should look more in the accutip which are 270 at 1850. Well i will now better tomorrow i Have 3 boxes of each and headed to the range. and if all fails i have the trusty federal log powder shok 7/8 oz 1450 speed deamand that shoot well in this gun. but they punch you back when you pull the trigger.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »
Cw i would have thought the sst would do a little better than what i posted. If correct they are around 1800 260 bullet listed speed so thought they would be a little flatter than the copper solids. They are only going 1450 advertized speed with a 5/8 ounce bullet. I guess if that is what you are getting i should look more in the accutip which are 270 at 1850. Well i will now better tomorrow i Have 3 boxes of each and headed to the range. and if all fails i have the trusty federal log powder shok 7/8 oz 1450 speed deamand that shoot well in this gun. but they punch you back when you pull the trigger.
Yes, The Hornady's do shoot flatter than what was posted. I was stil thinking of the tredj posted, not what my Hornadys get. ;)

IF a 2'' high at 50 nets you a 1-2"lo at 125 yards, IMHO, thats about as good as your gonna get with that loading and tredjectory.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
I shoot the Remington Premier, sighted 3" high at 50 yards.  I hold on hair to 125 without adjustment.  I have tried these at 200 yards, and found about 13" drop at that range.  I hunt an area where only slug guns are legal, and there are some wide open places.  Based on my practice, I would not try these much beyond 125.  In a really good overall situation, I might try 150 max.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:09 AM »
Made it to the range today and the copper solids flew good than it tried the accutips and i am real happy. Decided this will be my bear gun from a stand where shots are 125 and under.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
Made it to the range today and the copper solids flew good than it tried the accutips and i am real happy. Decided this will be my bear gun from a stand where shots are 125 and under.

DAMN GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Just think, there are hi power rifles that will not shoot that GOOD!!  I LOVE my USH's!! When I first bought it and saw how it shot, I SOLD OFF all my other slug guns/barrels and with the $$ bought a 20 ga so I have a pair! My 20 isnt quite as good as yours, but my 12 will clover leaf!

Enjoy your USH, with todays slugs that 20 is very capable for 125 yard shooting.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
Cw i cant believe how flat the accutips fly be it they at 17the grains lighter than the coper solids but advertized at moving 450to ft second faster. After this sight in at 100the i went to 50 and they were about 3/4 inch high that is it. They are only down 4the 1/2 at 150 and still with 10oo lbs energy. Thats better than a 30-30day with 170the grain bullets which only hold 100o to 100. And man is that hole big the advertized two times expanstion is true your talking almost an inch hole. Many dispute it but i would be surprised if a black bear hit in the vitals survies that

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
Cw i cant believe how flat the accutips fly be it they at 17the grains lighter than the coper solids but advertized at moving 450to ft second faster. After this sight in at 100the i went to 50 and they were about 3/4 inch high that is it. They are only down 4the 1/2 at 150 and still with 10oo lbs energy. Thats better than a 30-30day with 170the grain bullets which only hold 100o to 100. And man is that hole big the advertized two times expanstion is true your talking almost an inch hole. Many dispute it but i would be surprised if a black bear hit in the vitals survies that

It will not survive it!!  BANK ON THAT!!  ;) :)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
Have you guys tried the Lyman sabots or any full bore slugs.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »
Have you guys tried the Lyman sabots or any full bore slugs.

I have shot some Breneke 20 ga and they shot pretty well.  In my 12 Ga BUCKHAMMERS are awesome!! Never tried a handloaded slug, no.

CW

NRA LIFE Member