Author Topic: GOING TO PUT MY OLD FRIEND DOWN  (Read 501 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
GOING TO PUT MY OLD FRIEND DOWN
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »
Rudy is a poodle-a lap dog without equal--but he is 16 years old and, well, time has taken its toll. While he can still get around, his mind is somewhere else.
I really hate to do it--I dread it.
Dementia and blindness has demanded it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Online victorcharlie

Re: GOING TO PUT MY OLD FRIEND DOWN
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:38 AM »
It's never easy William...sorry you have to do it..... :'(
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:30:14 AM »
Rudy's quality of life just is no longer there.   

Know how you feel.  Went through the same thing with my Beagles.  It was 18 years for them. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »
Very sad. You gave him a good life, and had the means to ensure a peaceful death when the suffering became too bad.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:46:45 AM »
Tough to do, but the right thing to do when thier time is here.
We had to do this a couple years back with out two rat terriers, both abount 18 years old.
But for different reason for both. We did it about 3 months apart.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:53:17 AM »
Sorry to hear WL. Put one down several years ago, still miss that dog. He was good enough of a dog that I know He'll never be replaced and I'm sure you feel the same way. Chin up and good luck. Sam

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »
Hard to do even if it's the right thing . I have had to do it and it never easy to get over but time will help. I try to remember the good times.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
Take solstice in the life you gave him and focus on your time toga thee and all the enjoyment received. None of us get outta here alive. He will be waiting for you chasing sticks and balls with all the rest of our dogs...

It's the right time when you say it is, don't worry you know your dog. He will be better off you know that.

I have only had to do this once. Three others had passed at home with me, I cannot tell you either is easier.

Be strong for those who can not be.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »
 :-[ You have my sympathy..we never get over the loss of our loved ones, pets or human..We only adjust..This is one of life's most difficult things, putting down our pets..Members of our family..You will all meet again..

Offline kennyd

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »
Really sorry.  Every dog is different.  You will always remember all the fun you had.
Wife had to take in mine for a checkup while I was at work and nothing more could be done, I cried for a month, don't know how she even got back home.  We lost 3 dogs that summer, I took the one in, she took 2.  The other ones that were somewhat better were the ones that just didn't get up, or my son's that laid in his favorite spot and went to sleep.   We have a lab mix that is 13 and really slow I dread the day.  If can be I will never put Karen through that again.   
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:07:28 AM »
 So sorry WL, nothing in my life has hurt me like when I put my dogs to sleep.  I look at my 5 yo mini pin and could just about get upset now at whats coming years away. Thinking back on all of them I just know God never made a bad dog. My heart goes out to you and yours.  One thing thats made it easier, we have a vet come to the house and give them a quick shot to make them go to sleep, then a 2nd shot to put them down. My last 2 dogs went without even knowing what had happened, in their own beds. Still very very sad but its the best way i've found. God bless,. J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 02:52:21 AM »
"Dogs just don't live long enough".   Truer words never spoken TM,..    J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 04:41:17 AM »
Dogs just don't live long enough.
..TM7
+1      WL I am sorry for your loss.   I have had canine best friends all my life and unfortunately their life cycle is much too abbreviated.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »
Dogs just don't live long enough.
..TM7
+1      WL I am sorry for your loss.   I have had canine best friends all my life and unfortunately their life cycle is much too abbreviated.

AMEN!
I miss every one, I have lost. Just watching a hunting dog ''work'' still brings a tear to my eye...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss.    Do you plan on getting another?  I have always had a dog, can't be without one. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »
think about some of the people you have seen wasting away from dementia or bedridden vegetables, think of what you'd probably want done if in that situation yourself.

do it for your dog, do it clean, do it before it gets any worse.

I'd hug you, but you're not local to me.  Sorry  :P

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 02:26:02 AM »
Sorry to hear that William.  We sure do get attached to our critters, losing one is like losing a member of the family.   :'(
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 03:53:19 AM »
Getting read to leave for the vt now. It won't hit me til later.
I am not tuff enough.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Poopers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 04:22:09 AM »
I had to put down my pup last December 17. It was horrible and I still think about her. A month or two after the loss my wife drug me to the animal shelter just because she was bored. Well big mistake on her part, I came home with a 2 year old pit-bull. An amazingly sweet dog that wasnt being treated too well at her old home.

If possible I think the best thing you can do (other than keeping busy ) is to get yourself another pup!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 05:07:45 AM »
Well it's over
Was a good farewell--if there is such a thing
Ricky--the pup--senses something
I just aint near tuff enough !
You boys helped a bunch---thanks a lot.

Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »
Well it's over
Was a good farewell--if there is such a thing
Ricky--the pup--senses something
I just aint near tuff enough !
You boys helped a bunch---thanks a lot.

Blessings

You have done the right thing William. His pain is over.

You touch on something not everyone realizes. We may never know if animals truely feel the loose or its just a fermilular itty or habit to have the other animal person there. I think animals have more attached to a person than another animal.
For example, when I had to put my Rott down two years ago we had a Jack Russell and a Lhasa Appaso. The Jack never liked the rott, the Lhasa slept as close to him as she could. (rott was alpha) The Jack took his passing the worst! Mopped around for almost a week as if he had a cold. He would wake up and be all energetic then as the realization the "boss" was not around set in he did almost nothing.
The Lhasa is like a dumb blond and shook it off quick. She is very lovea le care free, there is no bad or evil in ber life. She got up looked for him and went about a normal day. After a couple days she was fine.

CW

NRA LIFE Member