Author Topic: Tasco Bantam  (Read 3129 times)

Offline ventura guy

• Trade Count: (0)
Tasco Bantam
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »
Found the Tasco Bantam at Nanchez for $20.00. They are the only ones I could find. Just thought I'd pass it along. Works great on my new to me .44 trapper. Has the ProShot reticle with a few different aiming points for bullet drop.
FYI the (not new) idea behind this is to use a shotgun scope with long eye relief to get the scope eye piece in front of the hammer and the scope mounted as low as possible. My rifle has a low comb stock which is ideal for iron sights or a low mounted scope. But if the scope was mounted high over the hammer than it screws up the cheek weld and natural pointing ability. I could have bobbed the hammer but this seems to be the best solution for the .44.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: Tasco Bantam
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
I have 2 of them. I have had them for years. They used to sell them at Walmart, but haven't for a long time. One is mounted on my 357 MAX, just ahead of the hammer, like yours. The other one is on a Marlin 1894 (44 Magnum), just above the hammer. They have a long eye relief and hold zero. I know they are not the best for light transmission. However, I have used the 357 MAX at night with a flashlight and 38 Special wadcutters for back yard varmints. I have had them on 22 rimfires and they work good for that application too.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:23:41 AM »
What's the power level on these things.  Looks like about 2.5X but fill me in.  Looks like a good scope for my .357.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:22:21 AM »
BE CAREFUL WITH THAT FRONT RING!!

I have broken one and seen a couple others with broken front glass because the ring was so far forward!!

Good little scopes for the $$, very nice with the eye relief and mounting so far forward.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:32:30 AM »
Mine are both 2.5 X.  I think they also made a 4X at one time, but I am not sure they do any more.

I am not home at the moment, but I am sure I used a off set ring to get back on the front of the scope a little more with mine.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
Here is a picture of my two rifles with the Bantams mounted. I have a 125 Lumen flash light mounted on the 357 for the backyard night critters.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »
Has anybody tried the Barska 2.5x20 Contour?  Has a 5.9"eye relief and sells under $50 with shipping.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
I reciently picked up a used Nikon Buckmaster 1X scope...

I mounted it to my 45 COLT H&R.

I have a old Tasco tactile 4X scope on one of my Maxis too..

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ventura guy

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »

Thanks for the advise. No problems so far but I think I will throw another offset ring on my next midway order. I like things right. Edit: I think I'll just cut a new groove in the rail.

BE CAREFUL WITH THAT FRONT RING!!

I have broken one and seen a couple others with broken front glass because the ring was so far forward!!

Good little scopes for the $$, very nice with the eye relief and mounting so far forward.

CW

Offline ventura guy

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »

Tasco Bantam 2.5x20 Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scope Pro-Shot Reticle Matte
Link
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=TA&prodID=TABA25X20D&prodTitle=Tasco%20Bantam%202.5x20%20Shotgun/Muzzleloader%20Scope%20Pro-Shot%20Reticle%20Matte

The most important thing for me was the recticle. Scope is very clear and bright with a slight fishbowl feel but not bad at all.

What's the power level on these things.  Looks like about 2.5X but fill me in.  Looks like a good scope for my .357.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »
I have the Tasco Bantam on my 45-70 Handi.It holds zero and does great.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
I received a Natchez flyer yesterday. They have a clearance going on and guess what one item is.... Tasco Bantam 2.5x. 19.99$
From Winter 2012 Closeouts

Item number: B24TABA25X20D Tasco Bantam 2.5x scope

Www.Natchezss.com

1-800-251-7839

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »
I ordered one of the Bantams and one of the Simmons Pro-Diamonds yesterday... $78 shipped for both. That's not a bad deal!
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »
I had just received an order from Natchez, along with a catalog.  I looked in it for the Tasco Bantam.  Found it, and ordered one for my Hunting Partner for Christmas.  He wants a scope for his .22RF that he uses for training his Grandkids.  Also found the Bushnell Yardage Pro 4-12X42 Rangefinder Riflescope for $549.95.  Half price for the same unit at Sportsman's Warehouse.  I almost bought this last Friday night, glad I waited and found it at Natchez.  Ordered one of those too.  (For Me).  Want that for my 30-06 Ultra Comp Handi. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 05:00:49 AM »
I have had 2.5X scopes including the 2.5 Bantam on 22 RF's. They work great for general shooting and hunting/varmint for under 50 yards. Your hunting partner will love it. BTW Parallax is set to 50 yards I believe, works great on 22 RF's and straight walled pistol cartridges. 

Good Hunting and Good Luck

Offline 336SC

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »
BSA makes a 2.5x20mm Deerhunter scope.   More expensive than the Barska but the optics are fully multi-coated and comes with a life time limited warranty.  They are $37.99 at Optics Planet and shipping is free.  Bought one and put it on a 336W Marlin.  Scope is only 7" long and looks perfect on the Marlin.  Liked the BSA so much I bought a second one just to have.
336SC
USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973.  NRA Life Member.  Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »
I ordered one of the Bantams and one of the Simmons Pro-Diamonds yesterday... $78 shipped for both. That's not a bad deal!

not at alla bad deal..............tha pro-diamond is worth in reliablity, much more than that ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »
Bushnell made a small 4X scope back several years ago.  They had a larger objective lens than the Bantum, but same length.  I bought three of them and put them on .22RFs.  Sky put one on his Anchutz, and it still resides there.

Like I said earlier, I ordered one for my hunting partner.  He has a couple of small .22s that he is using with his Grand kids.  The Bantum will be just right for them.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ventura guy

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
I've run about 400 middle of the road .44 magnum loads through the Handi/Bantam so far. I am very pleased with the little scope. I kept it mounted in the current configuration and it works great. I also really like the reticle. Very nice to have some drop aiming points with the .44 magnum and shooting at longer ranges.

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
Although not as compact as the bantam{i own 3 } I really like the bushnell 2 1/2 power .I have one on my 500 S&W Handi and it is doing well.  http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=BH&prodID=BH722538C&prodTitle=Bushnell%20Sportsman%202.5x32%20Riflescope%20Multi-X%20Reticle%20Matte
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »
Has anybody tried the Barska 2.5x20 Contour?  Has a 5.9"eye relief and sells under $50 with shipping.
I've got one on an Encore 500 S&W.  Shot around 25 times so far seems ok.  Not the clearest scope, but you can't expect that much at that price point.

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »
Can someone post the eye relief on the Tasco Bantam 2.5x scope.  I have a hard time finding the specs.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
It is 5", just right to mount just ahead of the hammer. See the pictures above with it mounted on a Handi rifle.

Good Shooting and Good Luck

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
just ordered one for my 44mag i think it will be just the ticket should get it in a couple of days :)

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
Picked up 2 of these for a 45-70 shorty and my new 357 maxi (thanks again cwlongshot).  The problem I'm having is mounting it forward of the trigger without having the front ring too far forward and without the scope resting on the scope rail as this pic shows.  I'd rather not go with high rings.  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated along with any specific brand and part numbers.  Also just considering shortening the scope rail where it hits the scope.  Thanks for any help.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
Here's the a pic of the whole 45-70 shorty

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated along with any specific brand and part numbers.  Also just considering shortening the scope rail where it hits the scope.  Thanks for any help.

Make a flat spot on the base for clearance or use the Weaver #82 base(see scope bases in FAQs), put that stupid flat spot at the rear to good use.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
  I bought 3 of the Bantams from Natchez hoping they would have the extended eye releif that allows them to be mounted in front of the hammer on a handi.
  The scopes I received have at most 3 1/2" of eye releif,   For me to have a comfortable head position on the stock and not have to adjust my hold to suit the scope they need to be mounted about the same as most other scopes with 3 to 3 1/2" of eye releif.     
 I put one on a crossbow and another on a slug gun  ( semi auto ) and there fine there.  For a handi I like the simmons pro diamond 4 x or there 4 x shotgun scope much better.
    jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
  • If you're gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be tough!
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
Here's the a pic of the whole 45-70 shorty

Now that is down to 18" correct? No trimming done to the stock.
This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 12:27:48 PM »
That's 18 inches on the nose with a non modified survivor stock.