Author Topic: Wounded Warrior Project rejects gun-owners, gun-dealers, gun-manufacturers.  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Tuesday, November 13, 2012    Wounded Warrior Project rejects gun-owners, gun-dealers, gun-manufacturers.     
No, I'm not kidding. Wounded Warrior Project is taking center stage as the biggest group of hypocrites this nation has ever seen.

I got an e-mail earlier today from an associate in south-central Texas about this breaking news, and my first reaction was to pick up the phone and accuse the e-mailer of being drunk. Since he doesn't drink, that accusation fell flat.

He was typing as we talked, then he told me to check my in-box. "The proof is in there," he assured me.

Sure as hell. . .

To briefly set this up, Tom Gresham of Gun Talk invited Wounded Warrior Project to be on his show on Veterans Day. What a great way to raise a lot of money in a short amount of time. Veterans are patriotic, and for sure gun-owners are. Gun-owners are also generous when it comes to helping out veterans.

His (Gresham's) invitation was flatly refused.

Thanks to the e-mails being shared openly and publicly with Guns.com, there is no denying where Wounded Warrior Project stands on the issue of guns and gun-owners.

Here is the e-mail exchange between Gresham and the PR chief for Wounded Warrior Project, along with an explanatory intro by one of Gresham's staffers.

Again, thank you to Tom Gresham and Gun Talk and Guns.com for sharing this.

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:56am · After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here. We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has a booth at SHOT show and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take. -Sarah The following is the complete email exchange: ==================== Hello, Leslie: Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show. I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms.  Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project. Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?" I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms? Thank you. Tom Gresham
 ============ Good afternoon - While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.
 Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets: http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies. Thank you for your inquiry. LESLIE A. COLEMAN public relations director O: 904.405.1433 M: 904.654.8138 F: 904.296.7347
  Wounded Warrior Project 4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300 Jacksonville, Florida 32256
 ==================== Thanks for confirming that, Leslie.  It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way. I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.  Best regards, Tom Gresham ===================== Good morning -- This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country. Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues. Thank you. LESLIE A. COLEMAN public relations director ============================= Hello, Leslie: Thank you for that explanation. I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.  This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test. Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided. It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.  At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy. I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project. Sincerely, Tom Gresham
  The only gifts my wife and I gave out last year were cards reading, "A generous donation has been made to Wounded Warrior Project in your name. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Joyous New Year, J.D. & Lois Kinman."
 You can bet your last dollar we won't be sending those out this year. We're done with Wounded Warrior Project.
 Hypocrites.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Thanks for bringing this email conversation to light.
If true, then I think they are doing our service personal and any one associated with firearms a grave disservice!
I have never donated to this particular group although I believe they are well intended.
I have donated many times to the program that our member DINNY is associated with called WELCOM HOME SOLIDER.
I will do my best to check this out farther and if found to be true I will do all I can to help change this policy.
If WWP remains firm on their stance then I will never donate to them and will do all I can to spread the word about their hypocrisy.
They are wrong in their stance and that will only cost our wounded soldiers some of the much needed help they deserve in the long run.

I just checked the link in the OP  http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx  and at the bottom of the page it does state:

("WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.")

An email was just sent to WWP stating my disbelief with their stance on firearms and that I will not donate to them because of such.

I will continue to help our service personal through other organations as I see fit for the benifit of all our soliders.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline SHOOTALL

The WWP may have what gun owners call issues but the fact is they have helped our brave service men and women. Their policy may be based on folly not fact but it was not hidden , they explained it for all to see. The bottom line is they help the people who need it most trying to punish the decision makers in reality only hurts the ones who need the help the most. In this pizzing contest the only ones who win or lose are the injured service men and women who got wounded. At the end of the day the shooters and WWP people go home to comfort while the wounded warriors are still fighting to survive. IMHO this is one time gun owners need to not be selfish and help the wounded with out regard for the policy . It's the right thing to do.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LONGTOM

I will still help our soliders, just not through this group.
I could care less what they think of me and my guns but to alienate some of the very people they need is counter productive towards their end goal.
They have done a lot of good but they need to be told and shown that they should change their policy.

LONGTOM

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
can  some one please  find a gun freindly group to help  disabled vets

WWP  does not need to see another  $

boycotting  this group DOES NOT constitute  boycotting  aid the these heros

maybe WWP  is a democrat  group  with an  honerable front 
 to parade the horrors   of war  to demonize the republicans  as  war mongers
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline SHOOTALL

I don't think they think anything about gun owners they are trying to keep the idea of guns and booze off the minds of depressed people . And no it may not be but a small few who are depressed enough to consider suicide but don't we owe them consideration if it only helped one person? It may not even make a difference but better to error on the side of safety.

Maybe this is why consertives lost the election ! willingness to destory a good thing in an effort to force their way .  ::)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
did you see that shooter working for S&W
shoots from a wheel chair
this and  people on  TV  taking  disabled people hunting
this  all  just made us look  too   good

AARP  is a liberal group....but there is a conservative group taking  off

i  can't imagine  how  helpless and  useless a disabled  person  must feel
but  to know  i could  still go out and shoot some  food
might change my will to live
better not promote  sending them out on the water...they  might drown themself
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline SHOOTALL

I have a family member that can't use arms or legs he had a boat that accomadated his wheel chair and a fishing rod activated by his mouth. The game department inspected his boat and how his safety was assured and helped alot. They also gave permission for others to take him hunting and shoot for hin . He has a speical jeep for hunting.
My point is all of us should do what we can to help all these vets and not let it get political.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
I have a family member that can't use arms or legs he had a boat that accomadated his wheel chair and a fishing rod activated by his mouth. The game department inspected his boat and how his safety was assured and helped alot. They also gave permission for others to take him hunting and shoot for hin . He has a speical jeep for hunting.
My point is all of us should do what we can to help all these vets and not let it get political.

i agree  100%

but it looks  like  WWP  has made it political
and  are  using our heros as  pawns
boycotting WWP  DOES NOT EQUAL  boycotting wounded worriors

i BOYCOTT ABY ANTI-GUN GROUP VIGOROUSLY......ESPECIALLY DEMOCRATS

Offline SHOOTALL

i agree  100%

but it looks  like  WWP  has made it political
and  are  using our heros as  pawns
boycotting WWP  DOES NOT EQUAL  boycotting wounded worriors

i BOYCOTT ABY ANTI-GUN GROUP VIGOROUSLY......ESPECIALLY DEMOCRATS

You are correct but if we gun owners don't get in a pizzing contest and do the right thing then in the end the guys getting the help and their friends and family will know where the support came from . And one day their votes may save our rights and theirs.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
thats  why  i was hoping some one would name another group that helps our heros

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): The WWP has helped thousands of wounded warriors and their families in the worst time imagineable for them. Don't let this piss-poor policy stop our support for these men and women. The WWP is well-connected and has the ability to best care for the most wounded. Denying support to them will certainly mean denying support for our nation's heros.

The WWP banners on this website were designed for the sole purpose of soliciting donations from GBO members. Several of you donated and I am truly grateful.  I even paid the site sponsor fees the first year and GB has generously allowed them to remain active long after that first year.

PLEASE let's try a way to tactfully have them reconsider their policy in a way that will not affect our wounded warriors.

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
PLEASE let's try a way to tactfully have them reconsider their policy in a way that will not affect our wounded warriors. Thanks, Dinny

that would be a BEST first approach
not a knee jek reaction......like is/was  my first thoughts
but  if they continue  not to accept donations  like they are now
they  are putting the anti-gun   agenda  ahead  of our heros

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
If they're doing good for people who need it, let them do that. Lots of charities are like this, and it just goes with the territory.

Somebody is going to help those people, and it can either be a charity that is doing a good efficent job, or it can be the government.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
Somebody is going to help those people, and it can either be a charity that is doing a good efficent job Option #1, or it can be the government. Option #2

Gun supporters or not, I wholeheartedly trust the WWP to continue their support (Option #1). Can't say that about the other option you mentioned (Option#2). I think we all know better than that. ;) We could all type til our fingers bled if someone made a topic about how well the gov't is supporting our wounded warriors. I know it's better than it has been but it still has a long ways to go. Given my job, I hear all the stories good and bad.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

• McDonalds. Blecch!
I'm appalled at how wounded soldiers are screwed by the government that sent them out there. In modern times, which I take to mean since about WW1, the US government has been incredibly dastardly about what should be a lifelong obligation to wounded veterans.

The big one was during the 1980s when they essentially told all the WW2 vets that they were screwed because there wasn't enough money to give them the benefits they were promised.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
I will put my money where my mouth is. I'm going to discuss a donation amount with my wife tonight and send it to the WWP tomorrow.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline SHOOTALL

I'm appalled at how wounded soldiers are screwed by the government that sent them out there. In modern times, which I take to mean since about WW1, the US government has been incredibly dastardly about what should be a lifelong obligation to wounded veterans.

The big one was during the 1980s when they essentially told all the WW2 vets that they were screwed because there wasn't enough money to give them the benefits they were promised.

Don't forget it was discussed by the powers incharge that vets should pay for their health care .  ::)

• McDonalds. Blecch!

Offline RaySendero

T.....

I just checked the link in the OP  http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx  and at the bottom of the page it does state:

("WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.")

Thx for the info LT - But I HAD to go and see for myself.

What I found was disgusting!
IMO, WWP has turned into the fox "helping" themselves the hen house!

I'll believe in God , Guns and Guts.
WWP just flunked all 3 - I'll not support anything WWP.org in the future!

Our veterans deserve better than this gutless organization, that openly proclaims to oppose God and Guns.

I'm convinced WWP.org no longer understands our veterans, nor the freedoms they were fighting for, nor the price they paid!   
    Ray

Offline Drilling Man

With ONLY 15% of the donated money making it to the intended purpose!  AND with their views on us gun owners, i'll find a better place to put money to help Vets!!

Check out what those people are paying themselves!!

15%??  That's criminal!

DM

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  With ONLY 15% of the donated money making it to the intended purpose!  AND with their views on us gun owners, i'll find a better place to put money to help Vets!!

Check out what those people are paying themselves!!

15%??  That's criminal!

DM

15%.....wow
so  i give WWP  $100.....a worrier  gets [size=78%] $15

i  feel  good  giving them  $100  and  $15  makes it  to a REAL  LIVE HERO

$85  dollars  goes  to parasites  and the TV  ads

i think  any one donating to wwp  is  just  doing nothing  more than  making themselves  feel  good

if  some one  wants  to help
you  to  are true heros....just spend your money  WISELY[/size]

Offline RaySendero

After controversial refusal, Wounded Warrior Project CEO, Steven Nardizzi, to appear on Gun Talk this Sunday:

This discussion could get real interesting.
    Ray

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
My perspective.
I can understand the focus of WWP being on the warrior.
I think, and agree, to take focus off that and start endorsing something that is totally off focus is really a bad idea.
The two have nothing in common--it is NOT if you are a wounded warrior you want to sell gus and selling guns takes the focus off helping WWP.
Any---well, ANY here who would boycott WWP because they won't talk gus or sell guns IS AN IDIOT.
I said that and I endorse this thought.
Blessings
Bill Close

so  you won'r even  consider looking  to donate to a group  that will only take  50%

and  continue to support WWP  while they  are anti-gun  AND  TAKE  85 CENTS OF EVERY DOLLAR

WWP  is not the only game in town.....just the one on  TV the most

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
you can  give $100  to a wounded veteran
and  he will receicve  ....$100

you can  save yourself the trouble.....don't want you putting yourself out
and  take the same  $100  and   let   WWP  deliver  it for you  for a fee  of $85

you  feel   good for being  SOOOOO generous and the man  get $15

sure these other groups  have  overhead....but  85%  is  high
also ...NOW THAT YOU KNOW...
why would you consider  one more dime  needlessly  going to these anti-gun people

Offline LONGTOM

My perspective.
I can understand the focus of WWP being on the warrior.
I think, and agree, to take focus off that and start endorsing something that is totally off focus is really a bad idea.
The two have nothing in common--it is NOT if you are a wounded warrior you want to sell gus and selling guns takes the focus off helping WWP.
Any---well, ANY here who would boycott WWP because they won't talk gus or sell guns IS AN IDIOT.
I said that and I endorse this thought.
Blessings
Bill Close

Not quit sure I am understanding you correctly William.
I don't care if they don't talk guns and we are not talking about them selling guns.
The OP said and is so stated at the bottom of WWP's web page that ("WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.").[/b]

I may be wrong but if  ANHEUSER BUSCH or RUGER or REMINGTON were to show up at their headquarters with a donation check for say $1,000,000.00 or more I bet they would have a hard time turning that down!

Thanks Drillimg Man for the info on the amount that makes it to the vet.
I was wondering just how much actually made it to their needs and 15% ain't very much!!!

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline SHOOTALL

If you showed up at my door and offered me a million bucks no strings attached I would take it but it dosen't mean I would allow you to use my nane or picture to endorse your products . That's all they are saying .

MISGUIDED IMHO>

Offline LONGTOM

I could be wrong but I never saw, read or heard where anyone was wanting to use their name in any endorsement of a product.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
82.8% of all donations go to the warrior, and administrative obligations are kept to the minimum. This is on the WWP home page where their FININACIAL STATEMENT IS AVAILABLE. While I disagree with the gun issue, I see where OTHER FACTIONS on the otherside of the donation trail whom might deny donations to WWP "because of" it's association to guns, and alcohol. YOU GUYS "AREN'T" THE ONLY FOLKS DONATING!
THE SOLDIER NEEDS MONEY! WHY WOULD YOU DENY HELP TO HIM, WHEN MOST ALL OF YOU VOTED FOR JOHN MCCAIN, AND THEN MITT ROMNEY. MCCAIN HAS VOTED AGAINST YOUR GUN RIGHTS 72% OF THE TIME FOR MOST OF HIS 30+ YEAR CAREER, AND YOU FREEDOM OF SPEECH. "THAT'S DOCUMENTED FACT"! ROMNEY WAS AGAINST, BEFORE HE WAS FOR, YOUR GUN RIGHTS! YOU WANTED BOTH OF THEM TO BE "PRESIDENT"!  ::)  SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE NO MORE CONSISTANT IN YOUR "STANDS" ::) , THAN THE PEOPLE YOU CRITICIZE.
There is a lot of dis-information out there, AS THERE IS HERE. VOTING FOR PEOPLE WHOM WANT TO TAKE YOUR GUN AND SPEECH RIGHTS AWAY IS ABOUT AS UNPATRIOTIC AS IT GETS! Gun Talk is a TV SHOW. I don't give a damn about a TV SHOW.
My three sons all served. I will continue to support them. For those interested in the actual truth (some may not be), their finances are on their website. 82.8% to the warrior, is a damn site more than the ALLEDGED 15%.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett