Author Topic: Movie about our greatest president receives high reviews  (Read 6252 times)

Offline two-blocked

• Trade Count: (0)
Movie about our greatest president receives high reviews
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:59:14 AM »
[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/KJVuqYkI2jQ[/embed]

'Lincoln' Review: Riveting Tale Separates the Man from the Monument
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=773714

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Movie about our greatest president receives high reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:16:35 AM »
greatest president ? hum he violated consitutional rights in some peoples opinion to force his way . Great was the man who delivered victory that allowed a nation to be founded  then became president of that country  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:25:45 AM »
Who could ever watch a movie made by Steven Spielberg?  He wants Muslims to invade Europe and the U.S. like the rest of his tribe.  :D
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:45:09 AM »
greatest president ? hum he violated consitutional rights in some peoples opinion to force his way . Great was the man who delivered victory that allowed a nation to be founded  then became president of that country  ;)
neither he nor Jeff Davis wanted war.  talks were ongoing until SC got trigger happy.

oh, and RE Lee didn't want war either.

I'm from the north and my middle name is "Grant".
my wife is from the south and her middle name is "Lee".
the war is still raging. ;D
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »
I was noting accomplishments not desire to war.  ;) BTW Abe sent people to fight Washington was there and got the tee shirt .

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:01:16 AM »
I was noting accomplishments not desire to war.  ;) BTW Abe sent people to fight Washington was there and got the tee shirt .
I wonder what would have happened if SC would have just waited??
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:03:10 AM »
I don't know but it seems the country was a powder keg waiting to go off. Sorta like some folks today seem to be looking for a fight.

Offline Casull

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
          They DID wait . . . until they were invaded by Union troops.  How long should they have waited?
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
there was something on the topic title
about a ronald reagan movie, but i
haven't seen it anywhere. . . . :-\
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
;D LOL, yep he was the greatest.   got to see him in person when he came to Ga to stump for Bob Barr.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
Who could ever watch a movie made by Steven Spielberg?
I would; he's a great film maker. Last night I watch E.T. with my daughters; they love it.
He wants Muslims to invade Europe and the U.S. like the rest of his tribe.  :D
I didn't know. Absent convincing info, I don't believe it.

I predict many on this board won't like the idea of a movie about Lincoln. lgm270??
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:19 PM »
You may well be right YT!

Lincoln was an interesting man who lived in interesting times. Under such circumstances he was not going to please everyone and he was going to have to make some tough descisions! Some of those descisions were not the best when it comes to freedom for everyone........and states rights got trampled along the way. Had he lived to serve out his second term he might have reversed some of that damage to our rights......but we will never know.

That being said, I did really enjoy the most recent movie about him.......and all those damned vampires! ;D
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:03 AM »
          They DID wait . . . until they were invaded by Union troops.  How long should they have waited?

The fort the north had been there it was going to be resupplied and that was what they were trying to stop if memory serves me

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:47:20 AM »

If you want to read some interesting facts about the ::)  greatest President.
Try this one by Thomas Dilirenzo.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=real+lincoln+d
ilorenzo&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=2324837417&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=794173324614508421&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_34reelrhth_b
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »
;D LOL, yep he was the greatest.   got to see him in person when he came to Ga to stump for Bob Barr.

Bob Barr! Isn't he another former Republican that believed in the Constitution? The man his own party wouldn't support for re election? You were privileged to see and hear two politicians that actually cared for their country.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:20 AM »

The fort the north had been there it was going to be resupplied and that was what they were trying to stop if memory serves me
the SC militia had been sniping at fort moultrie for weeks, plus they had hit all other federal buildings in and around Charleston.  all of the folks at fort Moultrie and other places crowded into fort Sumter and of course they became short on groceries.  because talks were ongoing, he didn't send troops, he sent an UNARMED supply ship and the SC militia fired on it. I'm sure that Jefferson Davis wanted to wring their necks.
the only people, by and large, that wanted war was the confederate vice president and whoever ran the SC militia.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 07:04:54 AM »

the SC militia had been sniping at fort moultrie for weeks, plus they had hit all other federal buildings in and around Charleston.  all of the folks at fort Moultrie and other places crowded into fort Sumter and of course they became short on groceries.  because talks were ongoing, he didn't send troops, he sent an UNARMED supply ship and the SC militia fired on it. I'm sure that Jefferson Davis wanted to wring their necks.
the only people, by and large, that wanted war was the confederate vice president and whoever ran the SC militia.
What they wanted was for the yankees to go home and leave SC. When they tried to resupply they stopped them. The state of SC had left the union and wanted the union to leave , instead the union proceeded to invade the South and violate the consitution. But it was a long time ago so who cares ...............the consitution has been abused since some say.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 07:57:35 AM »

What they wanted was for the yankees to go home and leave SC. When they tried to resupply they stopped them. The state of SC had left the union and wanted the union to leave , instead the union proceeded to invade the South and violate the consitution. But it was a long time ago so who cares ...............the consitution has been abused since some say.
oh me, the majority of the south did not want war.  Georgia has several federal military installations.  are we being invaded?? no.  it was the same in 1961.  talks were ongoing, there could have been a solution on tariffs, slavery, etc.  when the states threatened to secede was the army supposed to cut and run?? of course not.  everybody marked time while talks were going on except in SC.  they started a seige at fort Moultrie.  they were trigger happy, they acted like a drunken mob.    I realize that people are sensitive still about the CW, but good grief, read the timeline of events and do some honest research.  it was only a very small group of people that started it all.      I'm tired of fighting this war.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 08:19:02 AM »
OK lets look at the time line(s) , january 10 , 1861 Confederate batteries on Morris island fire on Star of the West , a union ship trying to resupply Fort Sumter . When union forces were in route to resupply the fort a second time and SURRENDER HAD BEEN TURNED DOWN by the union at least TWICE the fort was fired on around april 12 , 1861 . BTW the ships comming were armed  ;) this time old Abe couldn't abandon the Fort it would look bad.
 But don't forget that union forces first fired on Confederate forces near Fort Barrancas near Pensacola Fl. on january 8.1861  Hey isn't that before either time that shots were fired by Confederates ? and wasn't the Confederates in Fl. from Alabama not South Carolina ?
Time line ? Facts ? QUITE !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 08:22:05 AM »
Like they always say the winner gets to write the history books but that dosen't make them correct !

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »
Cuts...you saw the movie I take it.  Did Speilberg get into Lincoln's war with the Bankers and the international ramifications of the War? Or did he skip that?
...TM7

LOL!!!!! No I didn't see the movie being discussed here. I saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer :-[
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline KB21

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 03:01:06 AM »
So when did they make a movie about Thomas Jefferson?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 05:03:31 AM »
It was a few years back , it was a good show . he went to France , had a child with his slave  etc etc etc .

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »
It's kinda funny, up here in the north the CW is never discussed. I cannot ever remember a conversation where it was brought up in other than as a reference.  I travel to the south quite a bit and I don't think I've ever not heard it brought up during a trip down there.  Very strange, I don't know if it's bitterness that they lost or that it was in their back yard. Probably a combination of the two. You need 2 to tango, so this back and forth of who started it is irrelevant, it was a powder keg had to be used one way or another...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »
backyard , it hasn't ended quite yet . A guy in Chester Va. was the last to die from it , he died a few years ago . Dug up a shell was cleanning it and it went off killing him. You might say we keep getting reminded  ;) . Maybe Gettsyburg has the same problem.

That's why we mostly see it as Northern aggression they came to the South . But never fear , keep comming down we like your money  ;D

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
SHOOTALL, you're right on, as usual.  I will go a bit further.   
Bucksin said the northern people of today don't hear or talk about it, but they hear about it if they come south.  Why is that?  Get a grip.  It's a matter of culture.  Northerners are all in the fast lane.  They talk fast, they're rude to each other, selfish and self centered, for the most part.  They don't have time to mess around with what their ancestors screwed up.  They must get on with something else to screw up, like dealing with the northern slums that are the worst on the plantet.  Except they don't deal with it.  They allow it to continue unabated because it is in their culture, in their very nature, to give freedom to the abused even if they can't now help the descendants of the abused, most all of whom in said slums are still expecting to be taken care of by the big government they voted for.  The most energetic of those down-trodden victims survive via the many alleys and avenues that criminals might take, all of which byways are teeming with rats and roaches and the worst of humanity.  The disgusting menace that makes up the northern populated regions are what the northerners have as a "thank you" from their 1860's aggression.
I'm not about to watch the Lincoln movie.  Anyone who can be influenced by a movie, or who needs a movie to reinforce their twisted beliefs, is probably a yankee.     

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
let me ask.  some states currently have petitions to secede.  should the UNITED STATES ARMY based in those states turn tail and run north???
I guess so.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 02:17:16 AM »
SHOOTALL, you're right on, as usual.  I will go a bit further.   
Bucksin said the northern people of today don't hear or talk about it, but they hear about it if they come south.  Why is that?  Get a grip.  It's a matter of culture.  Northerners are all in the fast lane.  They talk fast, they're rude to each other, selfish and self centered, for the most part.  They don't have time to mess around with what their ancestors screwed up.  They must get on with something else to screw up, like dealing with the northern slums that are the worst on the plantet.  Except they don't deal with it.  They allow it to continue unabated because it is in their culture, in their very nature, to give freedom to the abused even if they can't now help the descendants of the abused, most all of whom in said slums are still expecting to be taken care of by the big government they voted for.  The most energetic of those down-trodden victims survive via the many alleys and avenues that criminals might take, all of which byways are teeming with rats and roaches and the worst of humanity.  The disgusting menace that makes up the northern populated regions are what the northerners have as a "thank you" from their 1860's aggression.
I'm not about to watch the Lincoln movie.  Anyone who can be influenced by a movie, or who needs a movie to reinforce their twisted beliefs, is probably a yankee.     

Pretty good example of what I've experienced down south about the subject right there... Although much more agressive.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:43 AM »
It was a few years back , it was a good show . he went to France , had a child with his slave  etc etc etc .

Of course it was fiction......
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 02:23:07 AM »
It's kinda funny, up here in the north the CW is never discussed. I cannot ever remember a conversation where it was brought up in other than as a reference.  I travel to the south quite a bit and I don't think I've ever not heard it brought up during a trip down there.  Very strange, I don't know if it's bitterness that they lost or that it was in their back yard. Probably a combination of the two.

No it was the murder , rape, and plunder for years after the war.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~