Author Topic: size of sized bullet  (Read 784 times)

Offline Grumpybear

• Trade Count: (0)
size of sized bullet
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
I was reading today that the cast bullet is larger then the sizer die when it exits. I'm needing .381 bullets and the only sizer i've found so far is a .379

So if I size to .379 what would the expected size of the bullet be? this would be in a ww type cast bullet.

Also if I get a mold in .381 or .380 is there any way to guess the cast size of is it pot luck?

Thanks  Grumpy
Old enuff to know better, young enuff to keep trying
"So this is what the death of freedom sounds like ... roaring applause"  Padmae

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
Re: size of sized bullet
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
Hello, Grumpybear.  Pure lead will retain true dia. of sizer die..that why this type of lead is recommended for slugging bores, etc.
   lead which is alloyed with tin or antimony will be harder and have a bit of springback.  I have Corbin swage dies..When I order, I specify dia. be based upon pure lead.  My own alloy of fairly hard steriotype metal plus pure lead..about like the old Lyman #2 in hardness does have some springback.. about .0001" to .00015"...These are tenths of one thousand of an inch..not alot ot be concerned with.

Offline Grumpybear

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Aha  Thats what I needed to know. That small amount of spring back should not affect the way a bullet shoots unless it's way over sized.

Now I need to find the sizer I need.

Thanks  Grumpy
Old enuff to know better, young enuff to keep trying
"So this is what the death of freedom sounds like ... roaring applause"  Padmae

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
I was reading today that the cast bullet is larger then the sizer die when it exits. I'm needing .381 bullets and the only sizer i've found so far is a .379

So if I size to .379 what would the expected size of the bullet be? this would be in a ww type cast bullet.

Also if I get a mold in .381 or .380 is there any way to guess the cast size of is it pot luck?

Thanks  Grumpy

If you get an LBT mold, it will be guaranteed to spec.  Tell him your groove diameter is .381.  For the sizer make it .381.  It won't spring back.  The bullets will grow.  If they grow too big and don't chamber, then size them again. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:24:38 AM »
If you have a good person making your sizer and supply him with a sample of your bullets he can make it whatever size you wish to have. As 22-5-40 says, wheelweight alloys have some springback. Usually about .0005 from my experience. I make my sizers one half thou under what I want and they are plenty close enough. Using gauge pins, the size I want the bullet to end up at shouldn't go and the next smaller thou one should go easily.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »
All my Lyman 450 sizer dies throw a primarily WWt bullet larger than the size stamped on them. Years ago I 'heard' that they had a manufacturing tolerance of +/- .0005, dont know if thats true, just that mine come out, in various calibers from .0005 to .001 more than stamped. (whether I use my Jap dial caliper or my old B&S mic.)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
FWIW; I rarely have bullets come out of my Lee sizing dies larger than the die. I cast mostly of wheel weights and usually only size down .003" and some to .004"...

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
Grumpybear, Its always a crapshoot with every single die. Most of my Lyman dies are spot on with WW or #2. Sometimes I find one a little over or under which is to be expected with anything mass produced. If you want to purchase one die and have it size the exact diameter bullet you want with your alloy go to the Cast Boolits forum and look up Buckshot. He makes excellent dies at a very reasonable price. Each die is sent with a sample bullet to show it is sizing to what its marked. Darn nice gentleman I might add.