Author Topic: Letting Coyote know who's Boss  (Read 320 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Letting Coyote know who's Boss
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »
It was so funny tonight.  I took the little Min Pen for a walk.  A Coyote had crossed the road, just down from the driveway.  Prince, hit that track and wanted to go after the Coyote.  When I would not let him go, he marked his territory.  Then he would throw snow with all four feet at the same time, look into the woods, growl then bark a short low bark.  He did that three times, then went to strutting around, like he is the Big King Winney or something.

It's just so funny to watch this little bitty toy dog act so tough.  Especially when he is smaller than a Fox.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Letting Coyote know who's Boss
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:21:09 AM »
Apparently size means nothing to a dog.  My wife's little Pomeranian would fight a wolf, or try to.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Anna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:51:28 AM »
My chihuahua is the same way, she will try and go after anything like that. Especially coyotes.
Sometimes these little dogs believe they are a lot tougher than they are. It is funny, but a single coyote usually means there are more of them around. And they would easily make a snack out of her with no problem. The cowboys around here say that a coyote is so smart that one of them will bait in
a dog, then his buddy's will close in on the dog.

And coyotes are not above attacking people either, that happened near here a couple of times last year. Them and the owls are about the most common preditor around here, but we do get the mountain lions sometimes. And brother I'm telling you they are something else with a real attitude.
State hunters have to go after them all the time after they have been attacking cattle. So even a large dog needs some supervision with a rifle out there especially at night. Wild goats, ferrel hogs, black bears, vultures, bobcats, are all out there and a wild goat or an antelope will kill a dog if it feels threatened.

Now we also have the wolves, but I don't think they cause as much trouble as it was said they do when they were first introduced. It's usually the coyotes, and the wolf gets the blame. Wolves are spooky though, they sit on a rise watching you like the Indians used to do in the old western movies .
And if you have ever seen a Mexican eagle up close and personal they remind me of the grim reaper.
All these preditors love to find stray house cats, a cat like that wouldn't last two days out there alone.
Much less my little dogs, and anyone that thinks a buzzard wouldn't kill it's prey first is wrong. 

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:19:06 AM »
 My mini pin is a similar tough character. He was raised with big dogs and assumes hes like "Annie" the walker hound or "Bull" our german shepherd. We went on a 4 wheeler run last week and the "boys" struck what had to be a coyote marking spot. While the big dogs just smelled over and over the spot and then covered it with their own mark, "bug" the mini pin had every hair on his body go up, he growled and grumbled for 15 minutes about it, just couldn't get over it :-), hes got the heart of a lion and I have to watch out for him everywhere we go. He'll get himself into trouble in a heartbeat. If God sends us our dogs as He chooses, He surely sent me bug.   J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:28 AM »
One of the neighbors has a big dog that she walks every day, off leash.  I was talking to another lady (Sharon) on the street in front of my house.  Suddenly Prince hit the end of his leash and jerked it out of my hand.  Prince went after the big dog and chased it all the way back home.  The owner was shocked, Sharon and I laughed so hard we could hardly stand.

When Prince throws snow with all four feet it reminds me of a Mule Deer springing up.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
It's funny how the canine mind works anyway.  My daughter has a German Shepherd who has been trained as a guard dog.  When they come to visit, the 7# Pom rules him all the while he is here.  If she shows her teeth, he tucks his tail and slinks away. 
Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline FPH

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
I have a Great Pyrenees that I was walking with ( on a leash).  A lady came from the opposite direction with a chihuahua (not on a leash).  I told my girl to sit and as she does the little guy comes running up and proceeds to chew at my girls neck.  Well Dolce has a thick coat and is not bothered by this.  I ask the lady to call her dog and all I get is that we are in the country and my dog is big enough to take care of herself..  About that time the little guy has moved down to chewing on my girls legs where there isn't as much protection.  She looks at me as she is shuffling her feet and I say OK.  She puts her muzzle under the little dog and gives him a fling.  He lands in an irrigation ditch which is about 1/3 full of water.  He gets out and shakes then decides it is time to high tail it home.......all the while the lady is running after him calling his name.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »
Great Pyrenees are genteel for the most part, but powerful, and make little of taking out a coyote, however, a gopher has to be taken with finesse.   I used to keep them when I had sheep.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline FPH

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
I have a Catahoula that heck on Whitewing and Ground squirrels.