Author Topic: New need for labor unions?  (Read 497 times)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
New need for labor unions?
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:27 AM »
With an adversarial government increasingly influenced by big money from large corporations that lobby it. And the same government actually harming small business. Do you think labor unions need to a resurgence? I'm thinking they might. But not so much to protect workers from harmful practices of their employers. But to protect them from the regulatory effects that cause job loss.

If there were labor unions lobbying government, then wouldn't that be something that government needed to listen to?

I know it's the opposite of our usual thinking, but I just wonder about this.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: New need for labor unions?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:03:52 AM »
With an adversarial government increasingly influenced by big money from large corporations that lobby it. And the same government actually harming small business. Do you think labor unions need to a resurgence? I'm thinking they might. But not so much to protect workers from harmful practices of their employers. But to protect them from the regulatory effects that cause job loss.

If there were labor unions lobbying government, then wouldn't that be something that government needed to listen to?

I know it's the opposite of our usual thinking, but I just wonder about this.
the unions are already a huge voting bloc favoring the democrats.  I think fewer unions would be better.   and I wonder about a union member that would vote for a job killer.
btw, the new unemployment numbers are out, and they're waaaaaaaaaaay up.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:08:36 AM »
I saw the labor numbers too. Alarming to say the least. I hope it's just a post election blip.

To put a finer point on the union thing, I'm talking about a reconceptualization of the concept of a union. The new model would be to advocate workers by advocating the businesses that employ them. In other words, a pressure group that lobbys against job killing regulations made by the government.  This would have more of a republican affinity because it advocates jobs by keeping job creators healthy.

I know it's a stretch, and it's just fantasy, but it's an interesting thought.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »
I saw the labor numbers too. Alarming to say the least. I hope it's just a post election blip.

To put a finer point on the union thing, I'm talking about a reconceptualization of the concept of a union. The new model would be to advocate workers by advocating the businesses that employ them. In other words, a pressure group that lobbys against job killing regulations made by the government.  This would have more of a republican affinity because it advocates jobs by keeping job creators healthy.

I know it's a stretch, and it's just fantasy, but it's an interesting thought.
the concept sounds great, and would work but you'd have to run the current union bosses out at gunpoint.   people are too selfish and too afraid to try anything new.  if we had a revolution, I'd lose my social security, but I'll never try to stop one from happening.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Anna

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »
A lot of company's are going to temp staffing agency's as a way to get around this and Obamacare.
So in otherwise we are becoming a nation of sub contractors. Because the people they hire have no benifits, no paid vacations, or paid holidays. They are basicly on their own.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
i have to look at the other side of
the coin on this too. if i had a factory
with assembly line workers, there's no
way i'd ever pay someone 29.00 an hour
to put in a screw. the "super rich" or
"ultra rich" or what ever you want to
call them are the folks that provide the
jobs in this country. if they can't make
what they think is a fair return on their
investment, they won't invest their money
i.e. no jobs. i see on the news all the folks
that hollar cuz someone made 3 million last
year and they didn't . i wish i could work for
someone that wasn't ready to move out of
the country because they couldn't make a profit.
i've had to bust my butt and work all my life,
yes it would be nice to be rich, but i don't ever
see that happening. if i were, i wouldn't want
some of these o.w.s. type idiots trying to take
away what i had. that's life-get used to it

what we need is folks to get off their entitlement
a$$es and go to work- i see more unemployed folks
with i-phones and nicer cars than working folks have.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »

the unions are already a huge voting bloc favoring the democrats. ...

not entirely true BUGEYE, but sadly the majority are.  I work at a factory that is "unionized" or "organized" or whatever "...ized" label you'd want to put on it.  As an electrician with 22 years experience both in small "mom and pop" businesses and large manufacturing facilities I have seen many many production workers and craftsmen (skilled trades like electricians, millwrights, pipefitters, steamfitters, sheetmetal workers, etc) that do vote for democrats.  I have also been proud to be among a growing few (about 30% where I am currently employed) that are conservative thinkers and voters.  Most of us have opted out of paying dues to a communist organisation. There is a conservative movement within the union rank and file workers.  We are the few who are there to ply our trade to the highest bidder, with the best benefits available in our area.  An extra $10.00 on the hour gets more than a screw turned.  We actually study our craft, and stay current on the codes and regulations that affect our jobs.  We work closely with the company personnel to ensure the company meets its financial goals...

but sadly we are just 20 - 30% The unions have become a haven for the lazy, and uneducated who show up only for the paycheck and could care less about a "fair wage for a fair days work" as the founding mantra once was. I think Ranger99 hit it on the head with:

[size=0px]what we need is folks to get off their entitlement[/size][/size][size=0px]a$$es and go to work- i see more unemployed folkswith i-phones and nicer cars than working folks have.

[/size]
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:00:57 AM »
With an adversarial government increasingly influenced by big money from large corporations that lobby it. And the same government actually harming small business. Do you think labor unions need to a resurgencenot at all the unions hurt the small guy in alot of cases . Keep in mind that labor unions protect labor not the business owner ? I'm thinking they might. But not so much to protect workers from harmful practices of their employers. But to protect them from the regulatory effects that cause job loss. Doubt that would happen . What might be good would be a stronger assoication of small business owners .

If there were labor unions lobbying government, then wouldn't that be something that government needed to listen to? What would labor unions say ? They would become selfish like other unions , just look at the power company unions that would not allow other companies to work to repair storm damage . What you would create is a perfect case of the fox guarding the hen house .

I know it's the opposite of our usual thinking, but I just wonder about this.It's a voter problem the have nots and work nots have gained enough votes to to force the waste nots to give up their riches for nothing in return.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
we must watch different news programs , but I will take your word for it . Omit my example and let the rest stand  ;)  I have worked around unions all my life and that has been what I have seen.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
when i posted before, i'm not refering to
skilled tradespeople. i see news reports
of folks upset because their unskilled job
doesn't pay 75000.00 a year and they cry
because so and so made this much money
last year. i recognize that the costs involved
in the infrastructure of a business of any size
are sky high in this day and age. there are also
a lot of folks today that hold jobs they have
no affinity or skills for. that's just a small part
of the problem. i see that as coming from the
60's when i grew up and the feel good crowd
came in and said basically " you can do what
ever you want to in this world "  when i was
a kid we had counselors at school that directed
you to the field you showed the most affinity
for . and i understand not everyone can do even
mediocre electrical or plumbing or automotive
work. i wouldn't try to do my own surgery. and
i have to pay someone to trim the highest limbs
in my trees to prevent me smashing up the house
or taking out a utility pole.
lotta twisted up mess in the world that may
never get straightened out. . . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Shu

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
I just don't see unions being that useful. I work for the govt and never belonged to one, and the people who work for me told the union folks to hit the road. Each of the trades people keep up on certifications and codes becuase they know their friends lives and bonuses depend on the quality of work.

I don't supervise much becuase I don't have to. The work force polices itself very well. Each trades lead does alot more supervising than I do. I sign off on vacation time and admistrative things. It is nice to have a proffessional work force. I don't know if the union brings that or not. I have 15 engineers and 55 techs and trades people. (No engineer worth his salt argues with a journeyman tradesman). I have 12 military people assigned but I don't supervise them either. ;D

I do know anyone with a sense of entitlement doesn't last very long.  Work hard, do good work seems to work for us.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:19:48 AM »
when i posted before, i'm not refering to
skilled tradespeople. i see news reports
of folks upset because their unskilled job
doesn't pay 75000.00 a year and they cry
because so and so made this much money
last year. i recognize that the costs involved
in the infrastructure of a business of any size
are sky high in this day and age. there are also
a lot of folks today that hold jobs they have
no affinity or skills for. that's just a small part
of the problem. i see that as coming from the
60's when i grew up and the feel good crowd
came in and said basically " you can do what
ever you want to in this world "  when i was
a kid we had counselors at school that directed
you to the field you showed the most affinity
for . and i understand not everyone can do even
mediocre electrical or plumbing or automotive
work. i wouldn't try to do my own surgery. and
i have to pay someone to trim the highest limbs
in my trees to prevent me smashing up the house
or taking out a utility pole.
lotta twisted up mess in the world that may
never get straightened out. . . .

So you want a bunch of people with out skills and education to contribute money and votes to force govt. to do their biding ? Is that not the democratic party ?