Author Topic: Transfer Bar Issue  (Read 825 times)

Offline skoutfitter

• Trade Count: (0)
Transfer Bar Issue
« on: February 11, 2004, 10:50:49 AM »
Finally got out to shoot my new Survivor .308 today and was quite impressed with the grouping.  Grouped 1 1/2" @ 100 yards with factory ammo.  Now that the barrel is seasoned I will start with my handloads next time out and tighten that up a bit.  My question is this.  I did a trigger job and got it down to where I wanted only problem is I now have a transfer bar problem.  Does anyone know of a way to modify the transfer bar so it will engage with such a light trigger.  If not I will pick up another hammer and start over but would hate to loose this fine trigger.    :grin: Any info would be appreciated.
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 11:24:10 AM »
Youngin: You might want to describe your problem a little better. From my experience the trigger weight has little to do with the transfer bar, following thru when you pull the trigger does.
When you ear the hammer back the nose on it lifts the transfer bar, then when you pull the trigger the extension, moves forward and keeps it in place while the hammer falls. That's why it's important to follow thru so you hold it in place while the hammer falls.
<>< :D Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline skoutfitter

Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 01:09:29 PM »
Duce,
Let me explain in a little more detail.  Still new to these handis so please forgive my ignorance.  My trigger is set very light which allows me to apply very little pressure to fire the rifle.  In doing so I do not follow through with much of the trigger over travel as my goal is to apply enough pressure to fire the rifle and no more.  Based on the information you provided me on how the system works my question should have been is it possible to somehow modify the transfer bar system so it engages sooner or with less overall trigger travel?  :D

Offline jeff223

Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 01:57:35 PM »
SKOUTFITTER,how light is your trigger?did you replace your trigger return spring to reduce weight?i have two rifles that have trigger pulls of 1.5lbs.i have no problems with them.if you get down to to around a pound trigger pull the transfer bar doesnt work good.a heaver trigger return spring should help you out some with your problem but this will bring your pull weight up some.

another thing is i wouldnt set up a trigger stop for overtravel on your gun.there is info out there on the net that shows trigger stops on handi rifles.like Duce said you must follow through with this kind of trigger.squeeze and hold,that is all you need to do.

i dont know of any way to make any mods to the transfer bar.sorry

Offline skoutfitter

Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 03:50:43 PM »
Jeff 223,

Have not put a gage on it yet but I would imagine it is around 1lb.  I did take one round out of the trigger guard spring and will now replace it with a new one.  Hopefully that will take care of it if, not I will start over. Got my info on the trigger job from one of posts on the H&R site had pictures and such.  If that info shows up here it might be a good idea for it to be mentioned about the consequences of a trigger job that goes a little to far.  Not a real big deal in fact it just gives me a reason to tinker with my gun a little more.  Thanks  for the info.   :)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 06:29:33 PM »
scoutfitter
I think I understand what you're asking, and while not knowing as much about the workings of the trigger itself, I do understand the bar.

I wouldn't modify the transfer bar to engage with little or no overtravel.  The reason being, I don't feel it would give you enough margin of safety in the event of a cocked-hammer drop, it might fail to function and allow an accidental firing.  If too little energy is necessary to engage it the drop might be more than enough.

Just my thoughts.  i think you'd be better served to re-learn your trigger habits.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 07:55:42 PM »
Skoutfitter:  That is a common problem,  When I bought my first Handi a little card came in the box that said if I was real light on my trigger pull, that the hammer would fall before the transfer bar would engage.   I have not experienced this problem with my Handis, but have experienced it with other single shots with transfer bars.  There is a limit as to how far you can go on the trigger before this peoblem crops up.  Unfortunately I don't know that limit, I've never done any trigger work on any of my Handis.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 07:28:39 AM »
I don't think the problem is the weight of the trigger pull as much as it is the lack of follow-through with the trigger finger.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline jeff223

Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 07:36:49 AM »
the trouble starts when the trigger pull weight gets to light.you get around 1 lb or so the transfer bar doesnt engage good.i dont know why that is but thats what happens.perklo could tell more about this i am sure.

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
transfer bar
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 08:37:53 AM »
Nope.

I don't feel the Handi Trigger design is made to go anywhere near that low. I wouldn't do one below 2.75 lbs.

In saying this, I'm not saying some won't function if you follow the pull through much lower than that. I just wouldn't for these reasons:

1) The lack of reliability be hanged, I wouldn't do a trigger job request that low on a gun that I didn't get a signed waver state it would ONLY be used for bench-rest/target shooting. I'd have to personally know the shooter and that he was dedicated to target-only sports.

2) I don't think the Handi is capable of true benchrest accuracy, so I wouldn't violate rule one. Pretty good guns for the money, but if I'm going for one-hole groups for pleasure, I would start with a bolt action or at least a falling block - not a break open.

3) If it were to be a regular hunting gun, no trigger should ever be below 2.75 lbs, IMHO. (the limit I do on any gun for friend or foe).

4) Used as a hunting firearm, the small triggerguard on these guns mean that accidently brushing the trigger with medium to heavy hunting gloves is a real possiblity. With a trigger less than 2.75 lbs, even the most careful COULD mess-up sooner or later.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant or flippant about this, but even for the friends and few locals I do work for, I just won't take a trigger that light, or try to offer work or advice.

- perklo   :roll:

Offline skoutfitter

Transfer Bar Issue
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 11:35:48 AM »
Thanks for all the fedback guys. I ordered a new hammer from H&R today and will not make the same mistake with the new one.  After spending some time looking over the trigger mechanism I can now see why I had a problem.  The more material left on the hammer the further you have to draw the trigger back before the hammer and trigger pass by one another.  This additional travel is apparently necessary in order to engage the transfer bar mechanism properly.  I Dont mind having to pull a little harder on the trigger to get it to function properly if that is what it takes.  I guess this time I will do a whole lot more polishing and a lot less sanding.   Thanks  Again  :D  :D