Author Topic: No more twinkies....  (Read 993 times)

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
No more twinkies....
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:22:55 AM »
Hostess, makers of Twinkies, and Wonder Bread, is closing its doors after a crippling strike.  Union Workers would not accept a contract with a slight reduction in pay and benefits, even though Hostess was economically struggling.  So, now there are 18,500 more people without jobs.  Guess they stuck to their guns, and got what they wanted.  But it's OK, we will just pay for their unemployment... ::)

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/hostess-maker-twinkies-ding-dongs-says-closing-business-1C7112898

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: No more twinkies....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:54 AM »
According to the news reports, the union knew their demands would break the company..absolutely nuts!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:41:13 AM »
I don't think I've had a Twinkie in over 30 years, and haven't had Wonderbread in about 45 years. Wouldn't touch either of them with a ten foot pole.

But it pains me to see a company already in trouble attacked so spitefully and killed by the people with the greatest vested interest in its sustained viability.  I'll bet Hostess' competitors are all non Union. And I'll bet the company and its assets can be bought and applied in such a way as to be resurrected using a profitable non-union model.

It's essentially breaking the union by letting the union do all of the dirty work.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:54:42 AM »
from what I have seen locally the union membership are only focused on getting more and more from a company.  The thought process is based on greed and envy directed at the ownership / upper management over compensation packages.  At the same time most members (70 + % in the factory I work in) do little more than show up and clock in...

Hostess did not have a choice

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »
  The company tried to explain and surely hoped employees would munderstand..but to no avail..  Just check through the news..many companies, especially small business is having to lay off and/or cut back the benefits workers have previously enjoyed..
          Obamacare is a very costly proposition..the money has to come from somewhere; Papa John's Pizza, being a case in point.  Especially where a small business is concerned, it will spell doom for many.  I know of one case in particular, a friend who has a small, retail clothing store.  She is right now, faced with a decision..  Does she curtail hours and keep her 2 employees under 30 hours..or will she just close the doors?
   Tough decisions will b e faced by many very soon.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 06:17:20 AM »
Yes commrades! The union sure showed them! Maybe next time those capitalist dogs will think twice before defying the uinion!
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline powderman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 07:05:58 AM »
Husseins plan to destroy us is becoming clearer every day, and is succeeding. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline keith44

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »
from what I have seen locally the union membership are only focused on getting more and more from a company.  The thought process is based on greed and envy directed at the ownership / upper management over compensation packages.  At the same time most members (70 + % in the factory I work in) do little more than show up and clock in...

I find it hard to believe unions would kill the goose that lays the golden eggs...but easier to believe management is transforming into another entity recapitalizing and thusly escaping obligations, etc. Is Bain Cap involved with this Hostess deal..? :D
..TM7

The problem seems to be work ethic more than straight union / independent workforce issue.  The unions protection mechanisms (arbitration, grievance process, etc) is only used by the trouble makers, and those who do not pull their own weight.  Bad employers are few and far between these days.  A fair wage for a fair days work seems lost to most these days

Life member NRA

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:14:31 AM »

I say good riddence to Twinkies.  I'm sick of seeing herds of morbidly obese humans waddling through Walmart with 20-pak cartons of these in their baskets, and hugely fat kids yanking them from their packpacks at schools.
   TM7, as always, your conspiracy theories are amusing.  A secret recapitalization?  They are already in bankruptcy under a Reorganization Plan which is now failing.  They are petitioning the Bankruptcy Court to convert it to a total liqudation and sale of all assets to the highest bidders.  Who exactly do you think is behind the secret recapitalization plot?  The owners (tens of thousands of shareholders)?  If so, why don't you jump in and buy some of their shares?  You can get them now for about 1 cent on the dollar.  Here is your chance to get rich!

Best, Mannyrock

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »
The Union won another one................ :o     The company told them what was what but the union
 held that "big dough line".........  Now there closed and the union guys are out of work.  Got to give it to the union, they didn`t buckle under the pressue.  Now they can sit around looking at each other wondering........what happened!   

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »
Is Bain Cap involved with this Hostess deal..?

AFLCIO is already blaming them ::)

Lonny

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
escaping obligations.
actually the company has no obligations to anyone but the stock-holders.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »

I find it hard to believe unions would kill the goose that lays the golden eggs...but easier to believe management is transforming into another entity recapitalizing and thusly escaping obligations, etc. Is Bain Cap involved with this Hostess deal..? :D
.well the union voted not the company. I would say the company may have reserched their prospects and in fact saw that they could make a profit with union labor at the rate they offered or could reorganize . They gave the union a choice which they rejected just business really.
..TM7
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »

I find it hard to believe unions would kill the goose that lays the golden eggs...but easier to believe management is transforming into another entity recapitalizing and thusly escaping obligations, etc.
..TM7

I don't!!! AFGE backed Obee on his first run at the big chair. After getting it, he froze their wages. AND THEY SUPPORTED HIM AGAIN! :o
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
yeah no big deal. . . . .

hostess will just move operations
to mexico like mrs. bairds bread did
when bimbo bread bought them out
of bankruptcy.

yeah! ! !
way to show those big business sons o' guns! ! !

i guess the workers can all move to mexico and
bake for 2.50-3.00 an hour now. . . .(if it pays that much)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

I say good riddence to Twinkies.  I'm sick of seeing herds of morbidly obese humans waddling through Walmart with 20-pak cartons of these in their baskets.
what about us skinney guys who love twinkies.   it's not the fault of hostess that people get fat.
if we use that example, then pencils cause misspelled words and arithmitic mistakes, GUNS cause crime and domestic violence.  car makers are responsible for auto accidents.

I'll miss my hostess cakes and wonder bread.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »
  #1.... they should not collect unemployment for some time, because in effect they quit their jobs.  The obama supporters won't mind they are a bunch of dough-heads anyway, and they need they don't want the baked product to stuff their craniums.. ;)
   Perhaps some large , non-union company will pick up those popular brands...an interesting scenario..

Offline Defoe

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »
   Perhaps some large , non-union company will pick up those popular brands...an interesting scenario..
that would be great, I love all their products.

Offline boomerralph

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 03:23:59 AM »
The union people picketing our local plant have been on the news extensively. The gist of their statements is that the evil greedy company is demanding an 8% cut, and that they feel that they should get a 10 % raise.  One spokesman stated that once they forced Hostess to liquidate, someone would come in and buy the company.  At that time, they stated that the new company would BE REQUIRED to rehire them at their demanded rates. 
I have been in this Hostess plant on business, and it is obvious to me why the company is failing.  We quit doing business with them because it took 6 to 9 months to get paid, and often the check was much less than the invoice.
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 04:01:33 AM »

Don't worry twinkie fans, some large existing company (Keebler, Pillsbury, General Mills, Little Debbie) will buy at auction the trade name "Twinkie" and the "formula" for making twinkies (corn syrup, sugar, and more corn syrup), and will then make and sell them as part of their product line.   Maybe the cupcakes too.  Hopefully NOT those disgusting pink marshmellow "snow balls" with cocoanut sprinkles!

Manny

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 05:21:02 AM »
  Hey!    I am not a big dessert/sweets fan, but when I do eat any of their products, I consider those snowballs to be the best of the lot.. :)
  According to the news this morning, this was a long time coming; that corp has to deal with many different unions etc...which accounts for having to deal with some 40 different union toads to bargain with.  One of their stupid work rules...Wonder bread and Twinkies could not be hauled in the same truck.  With that kind of forced stupidity, no wonder the company was unable to survive!! :o :P DUH...
   Curiously, Hostess had reached a bargain with every other union but this one, which represents the baker's .  Guess that means one union cut the throats of several other unions.
    For those who may be inclined to blame those "filthy, big capitalists" saying these  company failures are some kind of conspiracy theory...aimed at unions; nothing could be more wrong.  Most of the business failures are like my friend with her clothing store or another friend with a stand alone Chevy dealership...both being on the very edge of failure.. No big financial firms or unions allowed..just read the facts.

Offline keith44

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »
  #1.... they should not collect unemployment for some time, because in effect they quit their jobs.  The obama supporters won't mind they are a bunch of dough-heads anyway, and they need they don't want the baked product to stuff their craniums.. ;)
The unemployment issue will come down to, among other things, a lock out condition, or a walk out situation.  If the workers voted to strike and walked out they quit and (most likely) will not get unemployment.  If, on the other hand, they voted to strike, but intended to show up to work and only "picket" the company while, barely, still performing their jobs, but the company would not let them in (ie locked them out) then they are entitled to unemployment.  Hostess being insolvent will also play a part in this, or it should.
Life member NRA

Offline powderman

Re: No more twinkies..... Bringing big bucks on ebay.
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Price of Twinkies skyrockets on eBay, Craigslist  Published November 17, 2012
Associated Press     
  •    Nov. 16, 2012: Twinkies baked goods are displayed for sale at the Hostess Brands' bakery in Denver, Colo. (AP)
  SAN FRANCISCO –  Twinkies are being marketed on the Internet like exquisite delicacies.
Hours after Twinkie-maker Hostess announced its plans to close its doors forever, people flocked to stores to fill their shopping baskets with boxes of the cream-filled sponge cakes and their sibling snacks -- Ding Dongs, Ho Hos and Zingers.

Late Friday and Saturday, the opportunists took to the websites eBay and Craigslist. They began marketing their hoard to whimsical collectors and junk-food lovers for hundreds -- and in some cases -- thousands of dollars. That's a fat profit margin, when you consider the retail price for a box of 10 Twinkies is roughly $5.
Greg Edmonds of Sherman, Texas, is among those who believe Twinkies are worth more now that Hostess Brands Inc. has closed its bakeries. He lost his job as a sales representative eight months ago, so he is hoping to make some money feeding the appetites of Twinkie fans and connoisseurs

After spending a couple of hours driving around to stores Friday, Edmonds wound up with 16 boxes of Twinkies and Ding Dongs. He started selling them Saturday on eBay, advertising three boxes for a hefty price of $300.
"I could really use the extra money since I'm unemployed," Edmonds, 50, said. "I figure I better sell them pretty quickly because I am not sure how long this novelty is going to last."
Contrary to popular belief, Twinkies don't last forever. Most bought in stores Friday carry an expiration date of early December,

If buyers don't bite, Edmonds isn't sure what he will do with his supply. He doesn't even like them. "I do like to have a Ding Dong, every once in a while though," he said.
John Stansel of Tampa, Florida, blanches at the thought of eating a Twinkie. He's a self-described health nut.
Yet he, too, rummaged shelves late Friday at a neighborhood Walgreens and then again early Saturday at Target and a grocery store. He spent about $100 for 20 boxes of Twinkies and Ding Dongs. His goal: sell them for about $1,000 and put the money to good use.
"Maybe I will hire a personal trainer for myself or go do some shopping at Whole Foods or donate the money to a charity to fight diabetes," Stansel, 40, said. "No matter what, I figure I am getting sugar off the streets."

Although Hostess is shutting down, it's still possible that Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Ho Hos could make a comeback. That's because Hostess is planning to sell its brands and other assets at an auction to be overseen by a U.S. bankruptcy judge in New York. Several potential buyers could emerge for Twinkies, particularly with the recent outpouring of affection.

A hearing on Hostess' liquidation request is scheduled for Monday morning.
Not all online sellers are demanding top dollar. Some boxes are being listed at $5 to $20. Others are willing to barter. "I am willing to trade a box for some good microbrew. A real quality six pack," offered a thirsty New York seller on Craigslist.
Despite his disdain for junk food, Stansel confesses he won't sell a few of his individually wrapped Twinkies. He plans to give them to his nostalgic friends and family as stocking stuffers for Christmas.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/17/price-twinkies-skyrockets-on-ebay-craigslist/?test=latestnews#ixzz2CXOs7ISZ
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »

Don't worry twinkie fans, some large existing company (Keebler, Pillsbury, General Mills, Little Debbie) will buy at auction the trade name "Twinkie" and the "formula" for making twinkies (corn syrup, sugar, and more corn syrup), and will then make and sell them as part of their product line.   Maybe the cupcakes too.  Hopefully NOT those disgusting pink marshmellow "snow balls" with cocoanut sprinkles!

Manny
The Mrs. loves the nasty Snowballs. I'm sure you are right about the buying up rights to manufacture. I deliver plenty of frozen "fresh" treats right now and can easily imagine delivering frozen Twinkies too.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »

Manny
my wife went to walmart to pick up some of my medicine and surprised me with a 12-count box of off brand pink snowballs.  yum,yum.
manny don't start sounding like NY mayor bloomberg.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline powderman

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »
We rarely buy sweets but all this yap about twinkies made me hungry. We bought several hostess cakes and I enjoyed them immensely. Didn't have any snowballs though. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »
We rarely buy sweets but all this yap about twinkies made me hungry. We bought several hostess cakes and I enjoyed them immensely. Didn't have any snowballs though. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Powderman in 6 months. ;D ;D
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:48 PM »
Powderman in 6 months. ;D ;D

Powderman is like me, we both need to put on our winter weight ;)

Lonny

Offline ChungDoQuan

• Eisenhower Conservative
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 01:32:56 AM »
She showed me her Twinkie and I showed her my Ding Dong--- I had to admit I'd never had a Ho Ho before. How can I live with myself? I wish I were dead.  ::)
If you give up, THEY don't have to win.

"'Cause what they do in Washington, they just take care of number 1. And number 1 ain't you. $__t, you ain't even number 2!" Frank Zappa

The greatest idea the right ever had is personal responsibility; the greatest idea the left ever had is social responsibility. Both take effort.

The Founding Fathers had complete access to the Bible, but they came up with the Constitution as our governing document.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 05:14:30 AM »
you'll be sorry when that pack of mini doughnuts show up !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !