Author Topic: New guy, mortar pics  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.kynd.net/~hermit
New guy, mortar pics
« on: February 11, 2004, 12:32:44 PM »
Hey all. I'm new here. I been shooting blackpowder 35 years now. Fulltime knifemaker and 07ffl firearms manufacturer feeds me. I LOVE cannons and mortars :-D   Here's one I built for a buddy. Shoots beercans full of sand and definetely loads of fun. Hermit

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
New guy, mortar pics
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 12:49:08 PM »
Welcome Hermit!

Hey pretty slick set-up!

Do you have any problem with that baseplate digging in?

What did you use for tube?

What kind of accuracy do you get?

What loads doyou use?

I don't know about Cat Whisperer, but when we agreed to moderate this site, I didn't think we would have pulled out such a diverse and creative group, what do you think CW?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
New guy, mortar pics
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 05:24:54 PM »
Hermit -

Looks like y' might need just a whisker more offset to get full travel L-R, but then you probably don't NEED full travel anyway.

GOOD DESIGN!  When I see a simple design it usually means that someone put a LOT of time in refining it.

As many designs as we've seen here is evidence of good old Yankee ingenuity.  (Yankee meaning American in this case.)

I'm sure you've seen a lot of different designs too, Hermit, keep us posted on activities.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.kynd.net/~hermit
New guy, mortar pics
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 10:26:02 AM »
Thanks Catwhisperer and DoubleD.. No problem with it digging in but I was shooting on a hard gravel driveway. This had to be shipped UPS so to keep weight/size down I went with a smaller plate. Baseplate is actually a shackle plate off the axle, the tube is about 30 inches of an old mobile home trailer axle laying around.  I just cleaned off the electric brake, spring mounts etc and used the existing wheel spindle and base plug. The mobile axle fits a beer can with a slight sound of air escaping, pretty darn close. For fun I use one capful of FFG approx 65-70 grains and that will send a beer can of sand about 100-125 yards up at 80 degrees. My "proof load" was 3 caps and the can went into orbit  :roll: Accurate? Yup, makes a big kaboom, puts em in the air and somewheres into the woods,, right where I aim em! haha, never tried to see what it would do to tell the truth but considered it in the future, like trying to get in a 10 foot circle. Next one I build I will modify T&E a bit, change a few things. I have another 30" piece of axle. Gave my Buddy the center 2 feet and he made a plug then made one also, slightly different design. Both were inventions born from the mother of necessity and what's laying around. Next I'll look for some pics of the breach loading firecracker cannon I built :wink:  Hermit

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
New guy, mortar pics
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 05:41:59 AM »
Looks neat and simple.  What do you use for ignition?