Author Topic: Case Trimmers?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Case Trimmers?
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »

Has anyone used the RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center?

My old trimmer is older than most of my guns and finally gave up the ghost today. 

I want something automatic, electric, easy, precise. 

Thanks for any advice.

Alan

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Avid Poster
Re: Case Trimmers?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »

What I'd really like to find was a little gadget a friend of mine had years ago but I can't remember who makes it or what it was called.  It was electric and you dropped the case into the shell holder.  It was spring loaded and after you set the length, you snapped the spring it stuck the case into the trimmer and trimmed it just about that fast. I am remembering this from at least 30 years ago and I'd ask him but he's gone on to someplace that is impossible for mortals to get an answer from him.

Alan

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »
I'm gonna get me one of these, make a jig and try to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqXKqm56_og
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:01:50 AM »
With just over 7,500 x 223 cases to prep for my AR's (and as many other rifle calibers combined), I opted for the RCBS Trim Mate and find it acceptable for the money, a bit slow (and in that I am certain that I am not ruining cases by being too aggressive), and significantly gentler on the hands than the old turn-them-one-by-one with the case deburring tool.  I can prepare about 300-500 cases a night before my fingers are too tired and sore to continue.  Take a week off and go for 500 again.  In shorter time the Trim mate will achieve what the non-automated device is not able to achieve, which is why I bought the Mate in the first place.

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
Case Trimmers?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
I normally don't load a box or two at a time and haven't found anything better than the Lee trimmers. Chuck the case into the drill with the shell holder and spin it to clean, trim and chamfer in just a few seconds. One advantage is while cleaning the case lube off I can feel any imperfections in the neck area as it spins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »
ditto --agree with reloader

cybin

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
After years of manual trimming with Lee, Lyman and RCBS, I finally bought a RCBS Trim Pro power trimmer.  Wish I had done it sooner.  Great unit in my opinion.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »
I'm with Reloader.  I got the universal chuck and love it.  I clamp the cutter in a workmate and once in the drill it's 3 quick operations and done.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
After years of manual trimming with Lee, Lyman and RCBS, I finally bought a RCBS Trim Pro power trimmer.  Wish I had done it sooner.  Great unit in my opinion.

Ken

I bought the RCBS Trim Pro power trimmer as well and like it.  I use it with the 3 way cutters so trimming and chamfering is done in one operation.

Of course if the greatest number of cases I was going to trim was one or two hundred, I'd probably just use a hand trimmer or a trim die.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
rcbs makes a good power trimmer. Mine has trimmed thousands of rounds. theres faster ways and definately slower ways but the rcbs is a good unit. I about need to do something about mine though as the motors tired and is getting pretty slow and weak
blue lives matter

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
Lloyd Smale

Anything I have ask for from RCBS they replaced for free.  Pretty much no questions except what was wrong th the part I neeed.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
Anything I have ask for from RCBS they replaced for free.

+1
I just emailed them because I couldn't find a large hole drop tube for my powder measure for sale anywhere.  Got a brandy new one in the mail the other day!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 06:08:27 AM »
RCBS warranty on the Trim Mate is 2 years. I've seen them replace parts for most anything of they sell but they lock up on the motor. Unfortunately, RCBS goods are now made in China just like most of the other brands and the motors are crap. Might want to take the tired motor to a Graingers and see if they can match it up with a good motor.
I use the Forrester trimmer with the drill stem so I run it with a variable speed 1/2" drill attached. On the plus side it gives me the option to use it as a neck turning tool too. Should the drill die all I have to do is swing by any Harbor Freight and pick up a new one. The down side is that you have to deburr the necks when trimming. If they just had a 3 sided cutter like the RCBS it would be the best tool out there. But I normally don't have to trim brass a lot so it doesn't matter.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 02:08:43 AM »
I have the rcbs electric trimmer but when doing thousands of 223 it seems slow,I also use the 3-way cutter and trim mate. I think I'm going to give 1 of these a try,they appear to be faster and more consistant.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/997722/little-crow-gunworks-worlds-finest-trimmer-223-remington
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWyWz-tzJ10&feature=player_detailpage

Offline benny123

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 02:38:22 AM »
Thumbs up for the RCBS Trim Pro 2 (as other have mentioned). It's gotta a good amount tof torque but not a lot of speed and is easy. Initally, I was hoping to use it to shorten 308 brass to 451D length and ream. Not a good idea for time sake

But, imo, pretty good for the typical degree of brass your gonna shave off. Never an issue with consistency either. it was a little pricey at about $260. I tried a manual trimmer but the effort in cranking over time gets annoying.

Though I havent selected the "DANNYL link" yet, one option is the Dillon case trimmer. Think they call it the 1200 something or other.

G luck. if you have any questions about this unit feel free to ask. I use it to shorten Rowland brass a couple times a week.