Author Topic: One half scale Mountain Howitzer Second Model Prarie Carriage  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: One half scale Mountain Howitzer Second Model Prarie Carriage
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »
Looks Awesome! I like how you can see the wood grain through the paint. What type wood and what brand paint are you using?

skidmark,
The wood is oak.  The paint is a Sherwin Williams mix I had made.
It is three coats.  Even after extensive sanding, the grain showed through.  I like it too.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline lthardman

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
That is very, very nice.  Beautiful!

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 01:28:43 AM »
Your work is so good its jaw dropping. Literally! You keep everything so clean and everything is so precise.  I don't know how you sleep at night with that type of attention to detail. I know you hate to make them prairie carriages.  The wheels are fantastic looking and whoever the customer got them off of did you a great service as they compliment your work well. Thanks for the pics.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »
Your work is so good its jaw dropping. Literally! You keep everything so clean and everything is so precise.  I don't know how you sleep at night with that type of attention to detail. I know you hate to make them prairie carriages.  The wheels are fantastic looking and whoever the customer got them off of did you a great service as they compliment your work well. Thanks for the pics.
Thanks dock,
The wheels came from here.  Item #3.  They are not dished.  They have a 2" wide band which is the same size as full scale so they look a little wide. :P
http://www.amishwares.com/site/1504461/page/45031

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »
My customer sent me a few pictures of his barrel mounted on my carriage.  He made the barrel.  I believe it is his intention to trim the trunnions a little shorter.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:47 AM »
Someone finally talked me into building a field carriage. I have shied away from them because of the extreme amount of metal work involved.
Let's just say they convinced me. ;) ;D
This is a one half scale Civil War Mountain Howitzer Second Model Prarie Carriage. I used drawings from Antique Ordnance Publishers.
At my customers request, I deviated a little from the drawings on a few things.
He has a 1/2 scale brass barrel that he made.
He purchased the 18" wheels and sent them to me. I used a 1" axle for them.  The wheels are not dished.
Zulu

Send private message Visit poster's website    

Zulu,
The carriage that you replicated here is properly known as the First Model Prairie Carriage.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 01:57:04 AM »
Cannoneer,
I'm glad you pointed that out.
I have been calling it a second model for a while.
I have no idea why.
I used Antique Ordnance Publishers drawings #67 which is certainly a first model.
I did take a few liberties with the drawings, like adding the implement holders underneath.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
     We appreciate your attention to detail more than anything.  Another superior job that far surpasses expectations.  I imagine that the customer will be delighted!  Love your photos of the in-process stuff too.  Finally we know someone who uses wooden parallel clamps as we do.  We call this technique "Smothering".   That way moderate and even pressure can be applied to all, rather that a few super tight clamps that tend to distort and cause peaks and valleys.  Thanks Zulu, for sharing the elements of a build with all of us.

Mike & Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
     We appreciate your attention to detail more than anything.  Another superior job that far surpasses expectations.  I imagine that the customer will be delighted!  Love your photos of the in-process stuff too.  Finally we know someone who uses wooden parallel clamps as we do.  We call this technique "Smothering".   That way moderate and even pressure can be applied to all, rather that a few super tight clamps that tend to distort and cause peaks and valleys.  Thanks Zulu, for sharing the elements of a build with all of us.

Mike & Tracy

M&T,
Thanks!  A compliment from you guys always makes me feel great!
My customer was very pleased.  In the beginning when I gave him a pretty hefty price, all I could promise was that I would give him something he would be proud of.
He said okay. ;D
Zulu Big Head

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com