Author Topic: 25-06 for Bear  (Read 7776 times)

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
25-06 for Bear
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
What are the thoughts on using a 25-06 for bear
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 25-06 for Bear
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
My opinion only, choose a good bullet put it in the lungs and you will have a dead bear. If you are poor at trailing or are hunting in dense cover you may want to upsize.

I would upsize personally, I don't subscribe to the bullet proof bear school, but a true giant in nasty cover would be a shame to lose because the hole is small and the bear is bleeding internally. Quite dead and easily recovered aren't always the same.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline FPH

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
It may do the job, but if it is your only weapon, it is a bad choice.  If you have bigger and better back up, then fine.

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »
Would you use it on a dangerous animal that a wounded animal could end up a dead hunter? I'd guess the answer is no. I have a 25-06, had it a lot of years and no way would I take it bear hunting. If it was all I had, I wouldn't hunt bears!

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »
Heck was watching Yukon men the other week and they popped a 400+ Griz  at about 20 yard or less with and AR 5.56mm - dead bear!  Use the heaviest bullet with controled exspantion and have a good hunt! ;D
One shot , One Kill

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »
  I say yes...  BUT, only if you use a tough bullet like the Nosler Partition, Swift or one at least that tough!

DM

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
I assume you mean Black Bear, if not the following does not apply.

I have better choices, but if that's what I had I would load either the 115TSX or Nosler Partition. I never recovered a bullet when using those on Deer, Antelope, including one good sized Whitetail very close, shoulder first & angled through rear leg (115TSX) . I killed some good sized Hogs with 25-06 as well.

The 120 NP has roughly same SD as a 270 cal.140 grain NP, & because of that will out penetrate a .270 130 NP, (used those too), so why would it not do the job?

Again, not my choice but I would use it without hesitation if that was my what I had.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline joeinwv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »
For 150-200# WV black bears, would get the job done. Would feel better with a 30-06.
<funny>

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
 I've met several guys out here in Utah who use the 25.06 on elk, usually with factory loads (all they said was, the heavy bullet, I think,ha) I'm sure it would work swell on black bear too. If it was what I had, I'd use it, but I always pick my shot or don't shoot, I'm sure you do to. Good luck.

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
Cat, ABSOLUTELY on a Blackie! Just use a 120 Nosler PT and keep shoot'in till he quits kiki'n ( just like any other ctg,). Have used a 243 on several and again keep shootin.......!-Muddy

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 05:28:22 AM »
The biggest bear I've ever taken was toppled with my 35 Remington shooting 200 grain core-lokt ammo.  Distance was approx 75 yards in heavy timber.   Your 25-06 will do the job, too.  I suggest 120 grain core-lokt ammo.

TR

Offline shot1

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
ROFL  ;D ;D ;D ;D   Would I use a 25-06 for black bear? YES! It makes me roll on the floor laughing when people think you have to have a cannon to kill a black bear. They are no harder to kill than a deer. If you put most any of the 115 to 120 gr bullets into the lungs/heart it's dead. If you can't do that with a 25-06 then it don't matter what you shoot it with you are going to have a tracking job to do and that bear will not be to happy and might want to bite and scratch a might on you.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »
correct answer!!
ROFL  ;D ;D ;D ;D   Would I use a 25-06 for black bear? YES! It makes me roll on the floor laughing when people think you have to have a cannon to kill a black bear. They are no harder to kill than a deer. If you put most any of the 115 to 120 gr bullets into the lungs/heart it's dead. If you can't do that with a 25-06 then it don't matter what you shoot it with you are going to have a tracking job to do and that bear will not be to happy and might want to bite and scratch a might on you.
blue lives matter

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 02:20:54 AM »
Be truthful I wouldn't consider using 25-06 on bear as I have other rifles I would use and I'm hoping to draw a tag new year.

Last  bear I killed used 7mag and if I draw tag I'll use 35 WhelenAI.

We all have choice on what we use and they differ.  If I figure 25-06 was good bear caliber I'd have a custom build one in the safe right now.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »

The exception i have to your answer is, you ASSUME that all hunters will only take that perfect side shot.  Doesn't happen, and i don't always take them either.  This is why i said to use a tougher bullet, at least then, if you take a rakeing shot (or even worse) the bullet will penetrate to the vitals at all angles.

Sure, anything works for the perfect shot, even 22's will kills bears if it's a "perfect" shot.

DM

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
It is important to accept the limitations of the weapon you choose to hunt with. Be it rifle, handgun, long bow, crossbow, or spear. If that limitation is a perfect broadside shot so be it.

But, do recognize that limitation. A pistol is not the weapon to use for a raking shot, nor is an arrow, but if you have a .338 Win Mag to shoulder why not? This forum is as good a place to get advice on the limitations of a particular load as any. 

To think a 25-06 has less killing power than a .44mag pistol is a foolish position. A .44 mag pistol is often touted as a perfectly acceptable choice, because one assumes the person knows it is a short range proposition, and has accepted that limitation. Accepting that a .25 bullet is not generally built to break heavy bone and  drive deep does not mean it can't be very deadly on that bear. Treating like it is a .338 WM or a .45-70 is wrong, just like an archer trying the same thing would be wrong.

It'll work just fine, work within its design capabilities, choose a good heavy strong bullet. Learn the anatomy of a bear, and the shooting characteristics of you rifle. Bears aren't armored, but they are well constructed from the diaphram forward when compared to deer, shoot accordingly.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline FPH

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »
What breed of bear are we speculating on?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 01:13:17 AM »
to me proper bullet placement should be a given in any caliber adequatcy question. I dont carry a mag rifle when i do to allow me to take raking shots through animals or rely on it to make up for my poor shooting ability. Bottom line is if were talking black bear which i believe is what this discussion conserns a 2506 using even a cup and core 100 or 120 grain bullets is PLENTY of gun. Id like to see proof of any black bear hit properly by one that wasnt killed. black bear are far from bullet proof. Ive killed a number of them with guns id be afraid to mention here do to the fact id have guys up in arms. Ive killed my share of whitetail too and know what it takes to kill them too and if anything in my experience ive found bear at least bear under 300 lbs to be easier to kill and to go far less distances when shot with the same guns as whitetail.
It is important to accept the limitations of the weapon you choose to hunt with. Be it rifle, handgun, long bow, crossbow, or spear. If that limitation is a perfect broadside shot so be it.

But, do recognize that limitation. A pistol is not the weapon to use for a raking shot, nor is an arrow, but if you have a .338 Win Mag to shoulder why not? This forum is as good a place to get advice on the limitations of a particular load as any. 

To think a 25-06 has less killing power than a .44mag pistol is a foolish position. A .44 mag pistol is often touted as a perfectly acceptable choice, because one assumes the person knows it is a short range proposition, and has accepted that limitation. Accepting that a .25 bullet is not generally built to break heavy bone and  drive deep does not mean it can't be very deadly on that bear. Treating like it is a .338 WM or a .45-70 is wrong, just like an archer trying the same thing would be wrong.

It'll work just fine, work within its design capabilities, choose a good heavy strong bullet. Learn the anatomy of a bear, and the shooting characteristics of you rifle. Bears aren't armored, but they are well constructed from the diaphram forward when compared to deer, shoot accordingly.
blue lives matter

Offline dabersold

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
A 25/06 will kill any black bear on the planet just fine. I've taken several with my 257 Roberts. Like ANY caliber used on bear or any other big game, if you hit them well they die. If you make a bad shot it isn't going to matter what you are using they will most likely be lost. You simply don't need a huge magnum to kill them. Shoot what you shoot best and go kill bears.

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 03:42:33 AM »
Many Black Bears have been slain with 25 calibers. The 257 Roberts comes to mind. A 25/06 is everything plus a little more. You are not under gunned as many would have you believe. As a guy you has taken a few WI Black bears, All I can do is repeat what others have said, Use the right bullet, meaning 115 to 120grains, premium or conventional contruction and you will get the job done. And, No, I wouldn't use a 25/06 on dangerous game, but then again Black bears aren't dangerous game.
Crash87

Offline FPH

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:54:27 AM »
Again, you are assuming he is asking about black bear.  We all know what assuming makes you.  WHAT SPECIES BEAR?

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
The only bullet I have ever had fail was a 140 gr 7mm bullet from a 7mm mag into the chest of a black bear at about 75 yds. The bullet got under the skin and made a crater about six inches round and four or five inches deep. That bullet did not kill the bear. That required following the bear and finding it down and sick. The next bullet, that killed the bear entered at the base of the skull from about 5 yds. The bullet never made it out. I have little doubt you could kill any animal on this planet with a 25-06. All it requires is the proper bullet and placement. I think few people would argue with that but most people go with something heavier than a 25-06. As much as I like my own, there is no suitable bullet made to shoot anything larger than a deer. Live or die situation and all I have is my 25-06, I would of course use it. I would not go after anything I felt was unsuitable on purpose with it.

The bear above had four or five inch's of fat under the shin in the chest. The skin and the fat stopped the bullet, the impact velocity helped tear it apart. It was a 140gr Sierra.

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 04:35:27 AM »
Again, you are assuming he is asking about black bear.  We all know what assuming makes you.  WHAT SPECIES BEAR?
Yes, We are assuming that catncarp means Black Bear! And, I would have to say, the majority of the repondents are in agreement, that a 25/06 is more than adequate for a BLACK BEAR :o
Crash87

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:48 AM »
Give me an Alaskan Brown Bear in a squeeze shute and I could kill it with a 22 long rifle! What would that prove? A 22 LR is adequate for Brown Bears?

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 05:43:06 AM »
  Is that REALLY a fair comparison to you???  Come-on, any 25-06 with a decent bullet loaded in it will flatten any blk. bear!!  AT LEAST it would in MY hands, maybe not your's though??

DM

Offline Thebear_78

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 09:01:27 AM »
I know that a lot of bears have been killed with the .243 winchester.  One of the biggest black bears I have ever seen was tipped over with a 100gr Nosler Partition out of a 243 win.    I know one young lady who killed a nice 7ft blond grizzly last year with the same load at just over 200 yards.     Its all about shot placement and bullet construction.    Even on a large bear the bullet only has to make it thru 3-4" of rib and meat to get into the lungs if you take a  behind the shoulder heart/lung shot.  There is no animal on earth that can live very long without lungs.

That 7ft grizz was shot up high in a berry patch and at the shot spun around  a few times and made a 30 yard dash down hill and piled up in a patch of alders.   I can't imagine the outcome being any different with any other/bigger caliber.

If I was going to run the 25/06 on bears I would look realy hard at the 100gr TSX and 115 TSX.   Both of those bullets have a steller reputation on big game and should penetrate really well. 

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »
  Is that REALLY a fair comparison to you???  Come-on, any 25-06 with a decent bullet loaded in it will flatten any blk. bear!!  AT LEAST it would in MY hands, maybe not your's though??

DM

Well then, if what you say is true, then a 25-06 should be no problem on a Alaskan Brown with the correct bullet? 100 gr TSX get the job done? The ability of a cartridge depends more on the danger provided by a wounded animal. That sort of blows the shot placement theory away too doesn't it? If shot placement is everything then a 223 with a TSX type bullet becomes an all around cartridge where it would be legal.

And I do understand what your saying, you are a great shot. Bravo!

Offline Thebear_78

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
If you want to get technical the natives up here use mini 14s on EVERYTHING including polar bears, and generally use 55gr FMJ.   

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »

DM

Well then, if what you say is true, then a 25-06 should be no problem on a Alaskan Brown with the correct bullet? 100 gr TSX get the job done? The ability of a cartridge depends more on the danger provided by a wounded animal. That sort of blows the shot placement theory away too doesn't it? If shot placement is everything then a 223 with a TSX type bullet becomes an all around cartridge where it would be legal.

And I do understand what your saying, you are a great shot. Bravo!

I agree, the 25-06 will work on brown bears and i knew a guide that shot quite a few with his's...  BUT, i've hunted brown bear quite a bit over the 25 years i lived where THEY live, i shot several and for me,  it's NOT about killing them, it's about dropping them in their tracks.  If needed, i can then always walk up and put a finisher in them.

For dropping a brown in it's tracks, i don't choose the 25-06, so once again you make a poor point.

The biggest blk. bear i ever killed was just over 500 pounds, i dropped it with one shot out of my .243 loaded with 100NP's.  I don't consider blk. bears dangerous game, especially the way they are hunted these days.

DM

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 08:09:28 AM »
Drilling Man is right on when discussing margin of error for a less than perfect shot. Plus shooting over bait, hunting in the forrest as part of a deer hunt and so forth are additional concerns. If you don't have a 270 Win or a 30 caliber of 30:06 Rem or 308 Win caliber then take your 25:06 Rem but limit your shot taken.