Author Topic: Truglo reddot  (Read 766 times)

Offline papadave

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Contributor
Truglo reddot
« on: November 21, 2012, 05:25:54 AM »
What kind of results have been had with a Truglo reddot sight on a Handi? I just got a 2003/2003 Whitetails Unlimited .243 hevi barrel and was thinking about a reddot on it. Any input good or bad will work.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: Truglo reddot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:19:31 AM »
I am not sure how small the dot is inside that scope but if you want to drive tacks and see a small target at longer distance the Dot itself may cover more than you want it to. That is the only problem with  the red dot scope we have.  Works fine other wise.   thejanitor

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 06:27:27 AM »
I have four red dots sitting on a shelf.  One's a Truglo.  Initially, I liked them.  That's why I have four of them.  Both eyes open, fast target acquisition, etc. etc.  Great for dark thirty close in work.  But....I have to make long shots too and the dot just isn't precise enough for my tastes.  It covers too much of the target.  For this reason, some folks sight them in so the POI is at 6 or 12 o'clock.  I also have heard of parallax problems with them, but never really experienced it myself.  Your .243 is a long range rifle.  I'd put good glass on it.  Just my two cents.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:02:15 AM »
Red dot sights are usually rated in MOA - that refers to the size of the dot.  Most of the lower cost ones are around 5 MOA if I recall - 1 MOA is 1.1" at 100 yards.  A 5 MOA dot would be about 5.5" in diameter at 100 yards.  Great for close up work - I'd say great for a slug gun or a 45, but I agree that a 243 should probably have something like a 3 x 9 scope on it. I just bought a couple 3 x 9 x 40 Busnell scopes at Walmart for under $40 and they seem to be just fine - pretty clear and sharp.  Not a bad scope if you are looking for something cheap.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »
I only use them on shot guns
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 02:04:09 AM »
The Truglo is not the best of red dots, put one on my on my 50 cal muzzle loader and it shook apart after only about 10 shots. I then put a bushnell on with different ajusting dots and it worked fine on the muzzle loader. I don't think I would use one on a center fire rifle. The red dot came off the muzzle loader after Nebr. let us use scopes. It now has a 2x7 Nikon on it now. Zeak

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »
not sure about tru-glo.......NUT  I LOVE RED-DOTS

bushnell  trs-25   on several guns......2 more waiting for a home

used an ultra-dot  last year  on a 44 magnum  winchester trapper
shot a turkey on the wing  at about 100 feet

i like the 4 minute dot the best
yes they covered the target
my girlfriend has 4 moa  on  her 44handi
complained at 100yrds ''i can't see the bullseye''
i told her it was in the center of the paper......just center to dot on the paper
all her shots were in the black

mound a dot  on a 22  and learn how it works...not quite like a regular scope
at  night they are the only way to go.....short  of  night vi$$ion $cope
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline papadave

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
Ended up with a Tasco 3x9x40 for starters. Hope to get it sighted in before our holiday hunt. With the base that came with the gun and the rings that came with the scope there is about  1/32" clearance between the hammer and scope.

Offline KIMBER45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »
Ended up with a Tasco 3x9x40 for starters. Hope to get it sighted in before our holiday hunt. With the base that came with the gun and the rings that came with the scope there is about  1/32" clearance between the hammer and scope.
Put a hammer extension on the hammer for easier access to the hammer.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline papadave

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
The gun came with the extension.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
Red dots are the best thing going for a turkey shotgun... not so much a rifle. Maybe if you are shooting sub loads outta a .357/.44/.45/70ish... as a very close range brush gun, it would work just fine. My opinion is don't even think about it for your .243, particularly for a heavy barrel .243. We have Mueller APV 4.5-14X40mm on ours... good quality, inexpensive scope with a very good power range for .243 class guns.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
i'll have 2 for sale after the first of
the year. they don't suit me like i
thought they would.
just my personal tastes
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »
I agree with previous comments.

I also LOVE the idea and own about 5-6 of them. I do use them on a couple pf my hand guns. Two of my bullseye guns have them as does a 1911 45 acp. I have another on my wifes 870 turkey barrel. Then there are a couple in the closet.

Paralax is a BIG issue especially in the cheap versions like the Tru-Glo. You can see this easilly with this little test...

Take a good sized cardboard  box, Cut two "V's" to hole the firearm with a red dot mounted. Now set this up so the dot is centered on something stationary, like a door knob or hub cap. Now without touching the firearm, but still looking thru the dot scope, move your head around so you can still see the dot. Notice as the dot moves to the sides inside the scope the dot comes off the target.

My second problem is the small batteries and cold weather. They do not last long if left on and if off will need to be on in a instant so your inclined to leave them on...

I use Aimpoint scopes on my Bullseye guns as paralax is non existant. BUT costs are what a good scope runs.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.