Author Topic: Photos of Paris, 1914  (Read 873 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Photos of Paris, 1914
« on: November 23, 2012, 04:12:03 AM »
From "Mail Online"

and the caption:  Paused for thought: A uniformed soldier with a wooden leg looks into the distance as he stands beside a cannon

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236989/Photographs-Paris-1914-taken-collection-Albert-Khan-Museum-Paris.html#ixzz2D3iOZDX1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Photos of Paris, 1914
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 01:01:49 AM »
France entered WWI in 1914; I wonder which previous disagreement took this old soldier's leg?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »
Hard to say, there are so many from which to pick.  Franco-Dahomean, Wadai, Franco-Siamese, to name just a few.  Or it could have been a training accident or disease. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 03:29:22 AM »
Color photographs in 1914 would be relatively rare.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:35:29 AM »
I believe that they would have been colored by hand at that time, not a chemical photo process. The site states that the photographs were commissioned by a French millionaire in 1914.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
May be a vet of the Franco-Prussian war.... need a medal expert to see what medals he's wearing... might be able to tell from that....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
That is an interesting standing garrison carriage. The rear "wheels" are not wheels at all, but skids cast into the cheeks in the form of three spoke wheels. There is no axle but there are projections that look like axle ends, which handspikes could be worked against.
Max

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
That is an interesting standing garrison carriage. The rear "wheels" are not wheels at all, but skids cast into the cheeks in the form of three spoke wheels. There is no axle but there are projections that look like axle ends, which handspikes could be worked against.

Oh! Nice catch!  I hadn't noticed that before.  Thanks!
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:09:34 AM »
Franco-Prussian veteran would be appropriate since he is standing in front of Prussian cannon.
Bob Smith

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 02:37:01 AM »
I believe that they would have been colored by hand at that time, not a chemical photo process. The site states that the photographs were commissioned by a French millionaire in 1914.

Color photography was available at this time, but not common.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 01:28:39 AM »
You're right Norm, color photography was being done, and this guy had the money to pay for the involved process. Ansel Adams I aint, but I could have at least read the whole article: "Kahn's love affair with colour photography was brought to an end by the Wall Street Crisis, which caused his fortunes to vanish and forced him to terminate the project in 1931."