Author Topic: On the fence about acquiring a Buffalo Classic  (Read 1993 times)

Offline whetrock

• Trade Count: (0)
On the fence about acquiring a Buffalo Classic
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
So I've been wanting to purchase a Buffalo Classic for ages now and have decided It would make for a fine hunting arm/large bore plinker. I'm into hand loading and have heard that some of the stouter 45-70 loadings can be a bit brutal in this rifle, but I'm not into trying to harm myself or my firearms with my loads. With that being said I was curious as to how many of you have taken this rifle afield as well as to the range. I've heard it referred to as a pseudo-sharps and a wannabe and that's alright by me seeing as I'm no CAS or Sharps shooter anyhow, but rather looking for a large bore rifle of a sort with a nice long sight radius sporting a serviceable set of peep sights. I'm pretty much certain that this is a fine starting place for my intended usage, but am not 100 % sold yet. I like the looks to a certain extent, but don't want to make my purchase based off of aesthetics alone. Being chambered in a rimmed cartridge I'm sure it will be capable of decent accuracy (not saying that rimless handis are inaccurate). All in all it just seems like a fun rifle to load for and plink or possibly hunt with. Like the Shikari of yesteryear.

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: On the fence about acquiring a Buffalo Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »
I hunted hard with mine last year for 10days straight but no deer, barrel being 32" long is something you notice alot in the woods. To me they are the Cadillac of handis and real fun to load and target shoot. Though I love the long barrel and the sights that come on it, I wouldn't mind having a 22" .45/70 barrel on it for hunting. Recoil isn't anything I notice and I push my bullets more powerful than needed, a slip on sims pad can take away any bite it has but the metal buttstock plate doesn't bother me. Get one, you won't regret it!!   .DT

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
great rifle. i don't pay much attention to the 32 in barrel. i hunt with muzzle loaders so long barrels don,t bother me

Offline whetrock

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:27:46 AM »
I don't believe the 32" barrel would be a deal breaker for me. I mostly hunt out of ground blinds or stands anyhow, so I pretty much stay put. Also as a shooter I believe I could benefit greatly from the longer sight radius. May even play around with BP loads in this one. The Shikari was a bit before my time, how would some of you more experienced say the Buffalo Classic compares to the Shikari.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 04:49:14 AM »
I've had mine since about 2002. I have always wanted a "Buffalo Rifle", and the BC was the only way I would ever be able to afford one. It is my favorite Handi. You do notice the long barrel, but it doesn't bother me. I am like you and do most of my hunting stationary. Mine will shoot 1.25" groups when I do my part. I replaced the original rear sight with the target sight (listed in the FAQ's). This year I replaced the globe front sight with a 1/16" ivory bead. Finding that post in the globe when the light was dim was a pain. I have killed one deer with it, using 300 gr. JHP Remington factory ammo, a bang-flop. Lots of damage, but not the huge waste of meat like you get with smaller, faster bullets, due to the lack of blood-shot meat. Since I hunt for the freezer and not the wall, this is important to me. I say get it, you'll love it. Besides, .45-70 is mandatory for admittance into the Handi-Holics Club!
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline whetrock

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
Yeah, I feel like it might be an excellent way to get my foot in the door, so I can gain entry into the world of the 45-70. It's a very interesting cartridge to say the least, and I don't have one. Also I kinda dig the styling of the rifle.

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
This year I replaced the globe front sight with a 1/16" ivory bead.

Which one?

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
I think it was a Marble's, 0.450" high. Perfect height, it allowed me to lower the reat sjght, now when I bury my cheek in for a tight cheek weld I get a perfect sight picture.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Ammo dog 2311

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
I love my BC 45-70 more then any other gun I own. I added a tang site for long range shooting. I am thinking of getting another one and reaming it to 45-120.
I am working up a load for the 300 grain bullets. Last range session I shot 47 gr. of 4198 at around 2050 fps.( From my crony ) and got 1 1\2 group with no signs of pressure. I am still working on this.
If you don't reload the hornady shoots good out of mine.
 I also have the officers model trapdoor 45-70 but its not as much fun shooting as the BC. Best gun for under $500 money can buy.

Offline jackpine

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
Whetrock,

I started shooting CAS long range about 10 years ago and my first single shot was a Buff Classic.  I probably put somewhere in the area of 1000 rounds thru it, working up loads, practicing and in matches.  I shot only cast bullets, most 400 grain, at around 1400 fps, so not anything close to max loads, but all off benchrest, prone, or sitting on cross sticks.  When shooting off the bench I used a slip on shotgun recoil pad and usually shot with a PAST shoulder pad.   Even with extensive shooting sessions, I had no issues.  You could do the same at the range, and in the field, who notices recoil?  I also tried filling tang screw access hole with lead shot.  It helped a little.  .The plus side of the light weight is that it would be an easy carry in the woods and if you are using iron sights, the long barrel is an obvious advantage.

I found it to be a very accurate rifle, shooting it between 200 and 300 yards and won several matches and placed fairly high in most I shot in.  After shooting it for a couple years I ran into a deal on a Browning BPCR that I just couldn't pass up and sold it to a fellow shooter who was just getting into CAS long range.  He still shoots it.  Our club has a Buffalo shoot each fall, where there are 13 steel plate buffalos, about midway in size between a IHMSA pig and ram, at various distances between 75 and 300 yards.  You have two minutes to try knock down as many as you can.  In two of the last five years it has been won by two different shooters with Buff Classics.  They both still had the ejectors (our club is more into having a good time, than being real fussy about SASS rules) and it gave them a speed edge, and had plenty of accuracy.

I would consider this easily a 200 yard rifle, and could go beyond if you know your distance with fair accuracy and the drop of your rifle.  If you put a tang mounted sight on it, there are some issues because you are mounting it directly into the wood.  There are several methods that seem to have deveoped to best deal with this.  If you want to go that route I can give you some more info.  I would personally put a barrel mounted peep on it or a low power scope.  Some of them come with a barrel mounted peep, and you can get a blade replacement for that sight, if that is more to your liking.

If you are going to do plinking, Trail Boss with cast bullets are a pussy cat to shoot and I have found them to be amazingly accurate out to 100 yards, which I think is the longest I have tried them.  They would probably work well beyond that, but you are going to have a rainbow trajectory.
Bottom line is I think that if you want a nostalgic caliber that will kill anything in North America, you could not find a better buy.

Jackpine

Offline whetrock

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
^^^^ Sounds like all that I want out of the Buff Classic and then some. Also I was wondering a bit about reduced loads, with Trailboss, Unique, or even Blue Dot in some instances etc. I've noticed that one can bring the 45-70 all the way down to 45LC levels. Pretty wide spectrum of power as far as I'm concerned. All in all I'm fired up about the 45-70. :D 

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »
My B/C has become my favorite hunting rifle.  It kicks a bit, but not so much that it bruises.  At the range, I slip a folded shirt beneath the shirt I'm wearing to absorb the recoil when I'm shooting a lot. 
I reload, but my favorite round is the 405 grain Remington green box.  I can't load anything more accurate. 
Regarding the sights, I wrestled with that.  The factory sights just didn't do it for me.  Changed to a Williams target knob on the rear, which works great shooting at paper targets, but that hooded front will not show up in the woods.  That front hood has got to go unless you hunt in the open.  I finally got a set of Skinner sights.  Fully adjustabl rear, and the front is a simple brass blade that can be easily filed to suit whatever distance you want to zero.
I love the longer barrel.  It balances well and I've yet to have a problem getting on target in the thick stuff.  Plus, I get to keep the maximum energy with the longer barrel. 

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
Mine was one of my first H&R rifles. It's what got me interested in these one holers. As for a hunting rifle? It's capable for sure. But unless I'm hunting from a stand it'll stay home. I have a standard 45-70 that I tote around when out and about in the woods. It's shorter and lighter.The woods around here were referred to as "The Crosstimbers" by early settlers. Just to thick to swing a long barreled gun around in. Now if I'm heading out to the western part of the state in plains I might take it.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »
Too bad the Buffalo Classic in 45 Colt are no longer available  :-\

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
Awww, come on......get it; ya know ya want it......... ;)
Best 45-70 bang for the buck out there.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Idrzr

I've got two of them!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
I bought a 22" Handi, synthetic stock, purchased on a whim so to speak.
I went to a sports shop in Boise to look at a Talo Trapper .357, and found it like a brick.
The front sight was still in the box and the wood was, "2x4" quality.
Next to it was the 45-70, which belonged to the shop owners uncle.
He did not like the recoil, and the price was $190 with two boxes of shells.
I offered the $180 cash in my pocket and they took it.

First two shots at 50 yards from a rest were touching. The 3rd shot took the head off a grouse at 70 yards.
The recoil did not cause stars to appear, so all is well. But, I'm not small, 6'4' and 250 lbs. (I did add one pound of lead wheel weights into the stock, wrapped in leather however)
Haven't killed anything bigger yet, and with Elk and Deer season over, I hope to let the air out of a timber wolf this winter with it.

I had been wanting a 45-70, but could not afford a Sharps, Pedersoli, or Uberti, so I got the Handi. It impressed me enough that I was at a gun-show in Boise two weekends ago and there was a BC, early model, based on the serial number. Not a scratch on it, so it's now resting with the herd in the vault.
I plan on reloading with Oregon Trail 405 grain cast with IMR4198 to start and Speer 300 gr HP jacketed. Time will tell, but I already like it and may find a competent gunsmith and put a tang sight on it. I also have two other Handi's, a bull barrel Ultra 223, and a 30-06. Next  I think will be a 357 mag to go with my Ruger SS 4-5/8" revolver. 

Offline whetrock

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to pick one up asap, but not soon enough. I've got a couple of more purchases (firearm related of course) that I feel are more necessary than the cool BC, it's very high up on my shortlist however and will be in the near future. I just hope they don't discontinue it on a whim, before I have the chance to buy it.

Offline whetrock

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 06:40:12 AM »
Well I made the first step yesterday and ordered on off of Bud's gun shop. I might wind up costing a bit more than I expected with FFL fees, and shipping, but the LGS around this part of the world aren't too competitive, so it'll all be good. It took me forever and a day to make up my mind, but better late than never I suppose. Need to acquire some dies and powder next..... Can't wait and try my luck with it Deer hunting, or trying to recreate some traditional "Trapdoor" loads.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »
I love mine... but couldn't get used to the 32" barrel so I bobbed it to 26"... I like the balance much better now... I only shoot light Marlin level loads... kinda trapdoor+... she is a ball on clays.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »
I find it a little heavy for all day carry, but love mine.  ;)  I've taken deer with it and it does anchor them pronto.  I now have a 22" long barrel for carrying when pushing fields though, that long tube can get front heavy when carrying at the ready.

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
Too heavy and too long for hunting.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »
Love mine, have hunted deer, elk and coyotes.  Never got a shot at deer but took an elk and you can make a coyotes butt pass his head if you shoot him quartering away.  I tried lots of loads and have settled on 26.5 g 2400 under a 500 grain lee soft lead bullet for hunting and 10 grains of unique under a 405g hb lee also out of soft lead for plinking.  These loads are not abusive to either the wallet or the shoulder and are quite capable. They do shoot a pretty good rainbow though.  The variety of economical and accurate loads from mild to wild have made this the favorite toy in my toy box and cast bullets let me shoot a lot more for less $. 

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »
Look for some Trail Boss powder while you're out and about. ;) My BC barrel measures 28" now.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 01:29:09 AM »
Like Tim, I lugged heavy, long barreled side-hammers, flints and cap locks, around the woods for years.  Today, pushing 72 hard, I love my shorties and superlights.  I'm toying with the idea now of bobbing my 22 inch .45-70 to 18.  My 18 inch .38-55 handles and shoots great.  Thank you again, Tim.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 04:47:32 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 04:52:06 AM »
I have thickish woods, but stay out of brambles these days, and open ground so I still like the long barrels. I admit to being more than a little of a romantic and traditionalist.
As much as I do like the classic Win. 94 carbine I lust for the rifle too.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »
I lugged heavy, long barreled side-hammers, flints and cap locks, around the woods for years. 
Pete

Swamp Fox?  ;D ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Marion

I couldn't resist. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
This thread makes me want a BC.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
I'm still kicking myself for passing on a Buff Classic last year at a gun show.  I bought the H&R Trapdoor 45-70 instead.  I'll maybe look for a Buff Classic again this year.  But a Ruger Number one is gaining strength on my wish list.  Depends on what I find at the gun show.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
gotta love the buff ... and love the 45-70, too.  8)
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe