Author Topic: Comparing H&R to Rossi Single Shots  (Read 2344 times)

Offline jackpine

• Trade Count: (0)
Comparing H&R to Rossi Single Shots
« on: November 24, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
Hello Group,
Have several H&Rs but more Rossi single shots (the original style Rossis, not the Wizards.)  There are a couple of areas where I like the H&Rs better than the Rossis, but overall, I have not found a great advantage of one over the other, but I have not done extensive shooting with any of them.  I have just kind of accumulated them as I ran into them, mostly thinking they would be good starter guns for my grandkids.  I am wanting to start doing a little tinkering and have been trying to gain some more knowledge.
Do you folks think the H&R is a better gun than the Rossi, or are there just more H&Rs or ?
What, if any, are the significant differences between the two.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Jackpine

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Comparing H&R to Rossi Single Shots
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
I just never liked the way the Rossi stocks felt when I shouldered one , It just felt odd for me , as far as which one shoots better , thats a toss-up , any rifle or shooter can have a bad day . I do like all the different rounds that the H&R is chambered in and the fact that the H&R's hold their re-sale value better , mostly its because I own a bunch of them !  ;D ;) ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Brian P.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
I will never own a rossi because of the stupid safety. A safety on a single shot, exposed hammer rifle = STUPID!
Lead me not into temptation but point me to it instead.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »
"Made in USA" is my deciding factor.  I'll try to keep our jobs and money at home. ;)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:16:39 AM »
Some of the Rossi's actually felt lighter, which in some rifles is a good thing.  My biggest gripe with the Handi is that all of them are 12 gauges from the breach to the end of the forearm and a 12 gauge outer overall size but a .22, .30 or .357 hole in the middle equals a lot of steel and weight.  However, as mentioned, I hate the Rossi safety and the Handi is made in the USA so all of mine are Handi's.

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:04:48 AM »
Was at my local gun shop the other day when a guy walks in with a Rossi Wizard he had purchased just days earlier in 45-70. After about 25 rounds, he noticed the stock was cracking in about 4 spots and was afraid to shoot it anymore.
I too, don't like the looks or feel of the rossi's and the fact that they are imports. The only thing i can say good about the rossi's is that they seem to be trying to advance in the market place, whereas H&R has either come to a stalemate or are actually declining in what they want to offer. I wish Remington would put more emphasis on trying to keep this company alive and progressing. Remington, as far as i know, doesn't have a line of singleshots and should be a competitor for their own products. So much more could be done with these great rifles.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:35:29 AM »
"Made in USA" is my deciding factor.  I'll try to keep our jobs and money at home. ;)

Pete

I'm Canadian and I prefer "Made in USA" me too.

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »
the made in USA is a big thing for me too but i just think handis look better and feel better than rossi guns
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »
I have both, but I will say recoil is more managable with the Handi.  The Rossi knocks the heck out of me in the same calibers as the Handi.  The 12ga Rossi is brutal, where the 12ga H&R is not.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
I own and shoot both for several years, and I see the pros and cons of both.  What I love about my Rossi which is a 2003 vintage model R357S stainless steel rifle in 357 magnum is it's based on their small 410 frame so much more proportionate to the cartridge making for a very light and handy gun which has been 100% reliable and accurate.  I also like the solid stainless steel frame (H&Rs are nickel plated with stainless barrels).  I'm used to handing my Handis so I ignore the safety on my Rossi relying on safe gun handling practices.   I lopped the barrel of my Rossi to 16.25" from 23", and this brought the weight down to a tad above 3 lbs. so my Rossi is a JOY to carry in the field.

My favorite Handi is a stainless barreled SB2-223 which is a real tack-driver but weighs a ton.  This is a my varmint rifle but the varmints here are wild goats up in the mountains so requires allot of climbing to get to them and the you can start to feel the Handis 7+ pounds after a little while.  I think the wood Handi stocks are basically boat paddles but love the feel and style of the synthetic stock on my 223.

I do not find the stocks on current Rossis very attractive but the metalwork is mechanically sound.   I am turned off by the current Handis due to poor CQ by owners Remington, they have been going downhill since the by-out, Marlin too.  I refuse to buy junk made in the USA just for the sake of loyalty over decent quality made overseas.  My last Ruger was a Super Blackhawk that was garbage CQ wise so I traded it in for a Taurus 44 mag, and have been happy ever since. 

My next purchase will most likely be a stainless steel CVA Scout another nice single shot rifle to consider at a very nice price.   ;)

Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
........my Rossi which is a 2003 vintage model R357S stainless steel rifle in 357 magnum is it's based on their small 410 frame....... ;)

Hey, I've seen  that one before. ;)

THAT's my idea of a .357 carbine! 

I have been dragging my feet on sending in a reciever for a .357 barrel.  The barrels seem to have a lot more steel than appropriate for certain cartridges,  the .357 included.

Speaking of "QC," the last Handi I got (CAB prefix) was quite poor in comparison to my NS and NU prefixes.  Another reason I have been driagging my feet - putting more money into omething I am not rerribly happy with. 

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »
That's why I'm currently leaning towards a CVA Scout, the quality and owner satisfaction seems very consistent.  It comes in stainless steel (which I prefer), and blued, and with a decent factory trigger.  Also the Scout is over a pound lighter than a Handi.  I'm thinking of one in 44 mag my favorite up-close-and-personal pig round.
http://www.cva.com/Scout-Rifle-from-CVA.php

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 06:20:40 PM »
That's why I'm currently leaning towards a CVA Scout, the quality and owner satisfaction seems very consistent.  It comes in stainless steel (which I prefer), and blued, and with a decent factory trigger.  Also the Scout is over a pound lighter than a Handi.  I'm thinking of one in 44 mag my favorite up-close-and-personal pig round.
http://www.cva.com/Scout-Rifle-from-CVA.php

But they don't make it in .357! :-\

Are they extractor or ejector?

I can't express how much the disappearance of the ejectors on the Handis annoys me.  Getting that back would be a big plus. 

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »
CVA does not list the 44 mag on their website but they do chamber the rifle in 44 mag.  I would email CVA just to be sure.  I personally prefer extractor to ejector because I reload, been seriously considering disabling the extractor on my SB2-223 Handi.

Offline jackpine

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 05:34:28 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. 

Ganjiro, did by chance test the 357 for accuracy before and after shortening the barrel.  I have three Contender rifle barrels and a pile of pistol barrels.  My limited experience is that the pistol barrels tend to actually be more accurate than the rifle.  It could be just such a small sample of rifle barrels, but I attrituted it to the benefit of the stiffer barrel of the pistols.

Have you or anyone else worked on the Rossi triggers.  I have not yet taken one apart, but guess they are the same design as the H&Rs.  Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again,
Jackpine

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 06:33:15 AM »
there is a new Rossi in 44mag avbl for under $240 TMD

I thought it might be fun to "Alter" it as an experiment.  I'm thinking using .303Brit brass and making a 445SuperDuper or sumpin'

the 44 Handi is on an SB1, and TMD for $255.   the option here would be to fit it to an SB2 and mount a shotgun to the SB1

too many ideas, not enough money

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. 

Ganjiro, did by chance test the 357 for accuracy before and after shortening the barrel.  I have three Contender rifle barrels and a pile of pistol barrels.  My limited experience is that the pistol barrels tend to actually be more accurate than the rifle.  It could be just such a small sample of rifle barrels, but I attrituted it to the benefit of the stiffer barrel of the pistols.

Have you or anyone else worked on the Rossi triggers.  I have not yet taken one apart, but guess they are the same design as the H&Rs.  Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again,
Jackpine

First thing I did when I got my Rossi was dump the crappy plastic rear sight and mount a TC Contender rear sight I found on ebay for $5.00.  BIG improvement with quality rear sight adjustable for elevation and windage.  I hunted like this with the factory 23" barrel for 4 years, very happy with the hunting accuracy.  I lived on Maui which had no public range so I sighted in out in the boondocks using plywood, downloaded targets, and a couple homemade sandbangs.  I don't recall the groups I was getting but I usually sight in at 50 yards when using open sights, and I'm happy with any groups inside an inch at 50 so I assume that was what I was getting at that time.  My longest shoot was a wild billy goat at 125 yards paced off, one shot 158 grain JSP Blazer ammo did the trick.   When I moved to Oahu in 2007 (after my parents passed away) I had a gunsmith friend lop the barrel to 16.25, crown the muzzle, and cut a dovetail for the front sight.  I had an extra front sight from a model 94 which worked perfectly with a Williams WGRS peep sight I added.  I also removed the factory paint from the stock which revealed nice grain so I oil finished the stock.  I don't have the records handy as far as group size with shorter barrel but I do recall it was more accurate after "circumcision"  ;) with the new crown, combined with the Williams peep (also for a TC Contender) to make me happy.  ;D   The trigger on my Rossi was a smooth, creap-free 2.5 pounds from the factory so I left well enough alone.   I hope that helps.

BEFORE (with my Rossi model 971 357 mag)

AFTER

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »
I will be very interested in a stainless Scout when they are offered in a cartridge that can be converted to the 356/358 Winchester.  I want a rimmed style .35 caliber round for use in our primitive weapons season, which I will ream my 35 Rem Handi to after the hunting season this year.   

That said, it is sounding like the folks at CVA have a better intent towards quality control and frankly it is sounding like Remington/H&R is letting QC slide.  This whole trigger/transfer bar FTF issue is leaving a bit of a sour taste in my mouth for the Handi line.  I honestly believe that given what they are charging for these guns the timing of the hammer/trigger/transfer bar should be tight and near perfect when they leave the factory as what has been accomplished with a bit of careful work by some of the members on these forums.  They could easily have the type of equipment needed to set up jigs that would allow for quickly adjusting the trigger extension for good tight timing. 

I see it as a simple matter of giving a hoot.  They could do it if they wanted to for very little more cost.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
Hello Group,
Have several H&Rs but more Rossi single shots (the original style Rossis, not the Wizards.)  There are a couple of areas where I like the H&Rs better than the Rossis, but overall, I have not found a great advantage of one over the other, but I have not done extensive shooting with any of them.  ...
Do you folks think the H&R is a better gun than the Rossi, or are there just more H&Rs or ?
What, if any, are the significant differences between the two.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Jackpine

1.American made.
2.Customer service.
3.Warranty on product.
4.Repair facilities.

Try this test.  Find someone that needed to have a repair done on a Rossi product.  Then ask them if they were happy with the work, and the length of the turnaround time needed for the repair.  Better yet find anyone that is satisfied with Rossi repair work.  Ask the question on the Rossi forum on GBO.  BTW, does the Rossi forum even still exist?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 11:59:16 PM »
The main reason I avoided the Rossi was the fact they were UGLY !!  However the Rossi's in this thread are not ugly..quite the opposite in fact.  Something about these stocks is different from what I am used to seeing in the Rossi's.
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 05:00:51 AM »
The main reason I avoided the Rossi was the fact they were UGLY !!  However the Rossi's in this thread are not ugly..quite the opposite in fact.  Something about these stocks is different from what I am used to seeing in the Rossi's.
garb,

Oops! add #5 - Ugly gun to my reasons why the H&R is better than the Rossi.

Your right, I think the stock design was changed.

Ganjiro,
On your Rossi pics, are those the original factory stocks?  They don't look like the factory stocks on my one and only Rossi.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:22 AM »

There's only one Rossi shown in this thread, a before and after pic of the same older Rossi, a Handi and a CVA, the older Rossi doesn't look anything like the currect crop of Rossis, I see two of em in the rack at Bimart every time I go in, they've been there for a couple years, still ugly.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
Ganjiro, where the H did you get that barrel? checked the rossi site and the only barrels they make now for the dinky frame are .410 and rimfires. did you have a rf rebored or did they make a small frame 357 at one time? if its factory have they changed the frames? could a rf barrel and frame take the pressures of .357 mag or even better .357 Maximum?

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
I have a rossi 357 like the one in the before pic above. it wears a Simmons pro diamond 4X32 master series scope and shoots the winchester white box 110gr sjhp lights out. Wouldn't get rid of it for the world. it's great brush gun. I had a rossi 308, it was the most brutally recoiling rifle I have ever owned. killed 3 scopes with the recoil until I put a Busnell banner on it. I sold it. I never used the saftey, just didn't cock the hammer until I was ready to fire. Almost all the rest of my rifles & shot guns are H&R's

308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
Rossi's look like crappola and feel like crappola... poor manufacturing tolerances... Handi's can look great, they feel great carried in hand and mounted at shoulder and are tougher n' granite. Ima kinda like the new CVA's too though!  ;) 
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline jaysouth

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
I have two Handis and a topper.  My only experience with Rossi is a .22 RF/.410 combo.  In .22, using at least a dozen different loads, accuracy is buckshot pattern style.  I am disappointed with it.
My local gun shot has a Rossi in 7.62x39.  I am very interested in that cartridge but will pass on the Rossi/Taurus part.

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »
Sorry for late reply guys, I was feeling under the weather...
My Rossi is earlier vintage from 2003-04, the stock shapes were very decent and so was the wood underneath the factory black paint.  I agree the new Rossi stocks which I'm assuming are plastic now are very ugly.
Ganjiro, where the H did you get that barrel? checked the rossi site and the only barrels they make now for the dinky frame are .410 and rimfires. did you have a rf rebored or did they make a small frame 357 at one time? if its factory have they changed the frames?
I bought my Rossi factory new in 357 mag back in 2004, bobbed the barrel in 2007.  I later found a .410 barrel for it that fit like a glove making this gun even more versatile.  I don't think a Rossi is worth dumping money into as far as boring out the barrel.  Keep your eyes open on the online auction sites, they do pop up occasionally.  Sorry, I haven't a clue what size frame Rossi currently uses. 

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »
Try this test.  Find someone that needed to have a repair done on a Rossi product.  Then ask them if they were happy with the work, and the length of the turnaround time needed for the repair.  Better yet find anyone that is satisfied with Rossi repair work.  Ask the question on the Rossi forum on GBO.  BTW, does the Rossi forum even still exist?
I have owned, and still own several Rossi/Taurus/Braztech firearms over the years, and they have all been extremely reliable.  My single shot Rossi I have lost count on the amount of rounds fired through it in almost 9 years but like a Timex watch "it takes a lickin' and still keeps tickin'"!  The only time I sent a gun back for warranty was for my Taurus 94 22 revolver which had a about a 30% failures to fire rate in DA mode, and also the rear site would drift after each trigger pull even dry-firing.  I sent it into Taurus, and they replaced both the hammer spring and rear site, and had it back in my hands within 2 weeks.  I think that's pretty decent service, that revolver has been working 100% ever since which was back in '97.  Can't speak for their current customer service.

Offline smokeeater3302

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 06:06:36 AM »
I have a youth sized. Rossi .22rimfire/12ga combo. Swapped sight on the rimfire major improvement .
The 12 rarely gets used , but is great for breaking clay birds . I wanted a single shot break action
Rimfire w/ ejector  that was cheap enough I didn't have to worry about getting trashed .I think I paid $110
I would like to thank my grand father
for a man that couldnt read or write he
taught me so much and forgot more than I
will ever know