Author Topic: New to me H&R .45 muzzleloader  (Read 1010 times)

Offline sdtayl

• Trade Count: (0)
New to me H&R .45 muzzleloader
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »
Hi all! 
Just picked up what I think is a 1972 H&R muzzleloader in .45 caliber.  The serial number starts with AJ.  This gun looks new, and I'd bet it hasn't been fired but maybe a few times.  $75 and it was mine!  Looks like it has the screw-in breech plug, as there are 2 holes next to the nipple.  On the receiver it says it is a TOPPER, model 158, and never mentions Huntsman?  Anyway, found this forum while looking for more info on the gun, and looks like there's a wealth of info on all kinds of guns here.  That's good for me, cause I've got a few different ones stockpiled.  Look forward to sharing, and gaining more firearm knowledge here!

Offline WV SCROUNGER

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New to me H&R .45 muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:26:51 AM »
You wont find many more priced at $75  ! ! ! ! ! ! !  I just bought a Huntsman made in 72 and it cost me $175...( I thought I got a great deal ).
 as far as I know...the TOPPER  is a cartridge gun???  I just started researching this topic...I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.
can you post some photos ?

Offline Sprint

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:30 AM »
sdtayl,
Yes, your H&R with the AJ prefix was manufactured in 1972 as was the 45 cal. muzzleloader barrel with the screw-in breech plug. However, your rifle was not manufactured in that configuration. All Huntsman rifles and shotguns manufactured by H&R, Inc. were marked as such.

It appears that someone fitted a Huntsman barrel to a model 158 (centerfire rifle or rifle/shotgun combo) frame. There is not a safety issue as long as it was done correctly but the smaller diameter firing pin may cause reliable ignition problems using percussion caps.

Sprint

Offline sdtayl

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »
Sprint,
Thanks for the info!  It appears to have been done professionally, as the fit is perfect, and lock-up is tight.  I'll test fire it as is, but may be looking
for a method to upgrade to a breech with 209 ignition system, as that may work better with this firing pin.  Anybody got some load info for this age of a .45 cal Huntsman bbl?  I got no manual, or breech tool with it.
Thanks,
Sdtayl.

Offline Sprint

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:32:48 AM »
sdtayl,

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions about a manual and breech plug.  I know I have an early Huntsman manual around here somewhere and will look it up and make a copy for you. I have a spare wrench but being that they are so scarce, I hate to give it up.

Maybe I can get a drawing to you to have one made if you can't find one.
Sprint

Offline sdtayl

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
Sprint,
Thanks a lot.  Any info is appreciated.  You can PM me with anything, or ask PM me for my snail mail, either one.  By the way, ordered and received a Mag Spark nipple, gonna try that out too.  209 ignition will probably work better.  Got the one for the huntsman, looks to be correct length.
Sdtayl.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
Good luck removing the breech plug, if it wasn't removed each time it was cleaned, it may be in there forever, I've helped more than once person that had that exact problem, a good soak in penetrant first would be prudent.  :-\  If I was making a wrench for it, without welding, I'd drill and tap some bar stock with a couple machine screws mounted to make a spanner wrench to make it easy to remove each time.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,248412.msg1099442623.html#msg1099442623
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »
sdtayl,

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions about a manual and breech plug.  I know I have an early Huntsman manual around here somewhere and will look it up and make a copy for you. I have a spare wrench but being that they are so scarce, I hate to give it up.

Maybe I can get a drawing to you to have one made if you can't find one.
Sprint

I would also like to get my hands on a copy of an old Huntsman manual.  Is it possible to scan a copy of the older Huntsman manual, and get it to quick, he could then make a "sticky" out of it.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.