Author Topic: Delay with Triple 7 pellets  (Read 851 times)

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Delay with Triple 7 pellets
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
I have been using 2  50gr. Pyodex pellets in my 50cal Hunstman, switched to Triple 7 pellets. I was getting a short delay when firing Triple 7. The Hunstman has the factory breach plug with primer carriers. Would Triple 7 loose work better? I went back to the Pyodex for now. Don't know why Triple 7 doesn't put a little black on the pellet? Zeak

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Delay with Triple 7 pellets
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
Do they have a bevel or rounded edge on one end ? If so put that end in first. Or try the primers for muzzle loaders instead of standard shotgun primers .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I have experienced hangfires with 777 pellets if theyare exposed to the  slightest bit of moisture.  Loose 777 or Blackhorn solved the problem.
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
i looked at sum t7 ive had in a locker for awhile,loose powder, it showed sum clumping. real black powder in same locker was fine.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:28:18 AM »
My son is shooting two (2) 777 pellets in a 50 cal huntsman with the banned site breech plug and 209 fed primer.  No hangfire and good accuracy with a Harvestor 50/44 crush rib sabot and a 300 grain Sierra 0.4295" jacketed bullet.  Never tried the 777 pellets with the factory plug and carriers.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:36:53 AM »
I have been using 2  50gr. Pyodex pellets in my 50cal Hunstman, switched to Triple 7 pellets. I was getting a short delay when firing Triple 7. The Hunstman has the factory breach plug with primer carriers. Would Triple 7 loose work better? I went back to the Pyodex for now. Don't know why Triple 7 doesn't put a little black on the pellet? Zeak
The "black" (powder) that Pyrodex uses to assist in ignition, would make T7 dirtier, which was the selling point (cleaner) for T7, when it came out.

+1 on what bb said.  If your going to use T7 pellets get the banned site plug, for better ignition.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:39:03 AM »

The OEM breech plug is not reliable with Triple Se7en Pellets. There are other options that will make it reliable. The OEM plug will work reliably with Triple Se7en LOOSE, but not Blackhorn 209.

If they would have designed a better breech plug from the get go, these rifles would be as popular as any other, and still in production.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 06:24:36 AM »
I got the banned site breach plug and the T7 pellets work fine now. When I dry fired a couple of primers I could tell the difference in the fire that came out of the barrel. Problem solved!!! Zeak