Author Topic: Poor shooter  (Read 811 times)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
Poor shooter
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:11:54 AM »

The 410 topper Jr that i got with the broken  transfer bar I finally got fixed and shooting won't shoot for crap! I have never seen a gun shoot so poorly. With factory Winchester loads it puts nine shot in a sheet of printer paper at twenty-five yards. I have tried loading every possible way and it will do but very little better.
  The bore looks fine nice and bright. The neighbor I got it from said that when he was a kid he shot everything he could find that would chamber through it including a .45 colt. Don't see how he could have done that with a full choke. I guess he managed to ruin it . Very disappointing!

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Poor shooter
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
What size shot?

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:37:48 AM »
Number eight.

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:41:18 AM »
A couple observations from my experience with H&R .410's...If you don't have a "tall" front bead to compensate for barrel taper you're probably shooting high. If you're shooting 3" shells, try switching to 2 1/2" shells for a few rounds, they pattern better for me. At 25 yards you are at the correct distance to pattern .410"s but you may want to start at closer to 18 yards to get a feel for sight picture/patterning shot etc. The .410 for me is a short range affair, patterning at different ranges is imperitive to knowing your own limits as far as shot size and capabilities. YMMV
Good Luck!
Scott B.
Mossberg 500E .410, Sears Ranger (Stevens) 37 in .410, Marlin 200 in .410, H&R Pardner in .410

Offline brayh92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »
if it turns out the .45lc rounds messed up the choke have the barrel redone into a smoothbore and make a little slug gun out of it...gotta make the best of any situation ;D ;)
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
A couple observations from my experience with H&R .410's...If you don't have a "tall" front bead to compensate for barrel taper you're probably shooting high. If you're shooting 3" shells, try switching to 2 1/2" shells for a few rounds, they pattern better for me. At 25 yards you are at the correct distance to pattern .410"s but you may want to start at closer to 18 yards to get a feel for sight picture/patterning shot etc. The .410 for me is a short range affair, patterning at different ranges is imperitive to knowing your own limits as far as shot size and capabilities. YMMV
Good Luck!
Scott B.
Mossberg 500E .410, Sears Ranger (Stevens) 37 in .410, Marlin 200 in .410, H&R Pardner in .410
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

I noticed that problem with both the .410 and 20 ga barrels in my Handis...and that is with a standard, non-Monte Carlo stock.
  I just figured my facial bone structure to be the culprit...but maybe not!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »

Try shooting at a sheet of newsprint and getting closer. My .410 shoots way low ( or is it high? I can't remember now) for me with my fat little chipmunk cheeks. Part of it is the shorter barrel I have. My son's .410 shoots fine.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:08:15 AM »
Yes the choke could be ruined but upnut has a point.  The bead on a Pardner or Topper is designed for a 12 gauge.  Each smaller gauge has more and more barrel tapper yet the same rear reference point (a 12 gauge receiver) so a .410 will shoot high.  Get a larger sheet of paper and aim very low and see where the full pattern hits.