Author Topic: casting help needed  (Read 694 times)

Offline fluffyphydeaux2010

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
casting help needed
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »
im pretty new to casting and i'm wanting to cast for 44 mag, H&R trapper 44, and for 3 50 caliber muzzle loaders. ive got a 429-240-2R mold but none for the 50's.

the problem i'm having with the 429-240-2R is that most are coming out .427"- .429"

with a lee REAL mold, will I have to grease patch? really looking for some advice. thanks

Offline linoww

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: casting help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:58:15 PM »
The Lee Real will need lube of some sort.I have made homemade stuff but TC Bore Butter works very well.

What alloy are you casting your 44's with? if its close to pure lead(as you Lee REALS should be) they will cast smaller than advertised.
If they are out of round .002 you may just have crap in the block faces.

George

Offline fluffyphydeaux2010

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »
Ive got pure lead and wheel weights. will the frankfort arsenal carbon spray make that much of a difference?

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
R,E,A,L, bullets first as said they should be as close to pure lead as possible, no patch. If I remember correctly the REAL stands for Rifling, Engaged at loading, most of the thick commercial muzzle loader lubes work good, I have used plain old Crisco baking grease. With both Lee REAL bullets and Lyman MAXI Balls neither uses a patch.
As to the Lee pistol mold, the WW should be good for mid-range loads in the 44. Lee states their bullets may or may not need sized, several things go into the actual drop diameter of a cast bullet. In any case you want to use a good lube. The Lee liquid tumble lube works well for many. I would not use a spray lube on any cast bullets. You will get gas cutting and barrel leading.
A very good investment for a new caster is the Lyman cast bullet manual.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
Ive got pure lead and wheel weights. will the frankfort arsenal carbon spray make that much of a difference?

Never had much luck with the spray. Clean your molds real good and smoke them lightly with a candle. Frankfort arsenal spray seems to build up on mold.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
I've found the mold lube sprays are only good for protecting the outside of molds and cause more problems than they cure when used on the inside of a mold.  On the up side, they are good for lubricating the sprue plate screw...

I once had a mold that was a real b'tch to get bullets to drop out of and it was suggested I lap the mold.  So I found and ordered some 600 grit lapping compound and lapped the mold.  I don't think I took off more than a couple 10,000ths off the mold and it worked so much better that I did this to most of the rest of the molds in my collection.  I plan to do the rest as I get around to it...

Tony