Author Topic: Training and Classes  (Read 469 times)

Offline CEShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Training and Classes
« on: February 12, 2004, 05:51:07 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has taken any basic defensive/tactical type of pistol classes in central Indiana?  I'm looking at Popguns training classes but am not crazy about taking the NRA basic course before I take any of the more advanced classes.  $135 for the NRA course could buy a 1000 rds and that's a lot of range time to improve plus (I know everyone can use a refresher when it comes to the basics) but I'm thinking I would gain more from shooting for an hour than listening to how a semi-auto and revolvers are different.  I learned how to shoot my pistols simply by going to the range and sticking with what worked and would like to nix any bad habits I may have taught my self in the past couple months.  Also, if anyone has any tips on certain things I should make sure my class has such as curriculum or shooting scenarios, etc.  I could use the guidance.  Thanks.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. -- Will Rogers

Offline Bald Barry

Training Schools
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 01:12:47 PM »
I cannot speak to Indiana.
However, in general as to training, I highly recoomend that you attend a quality school.
I had been shooting for 20+ years before I took General Defensive Handgun from Insights Training in Bellevue, Washington.
I had no idea what I did not know until I took the course.
Marksmanship is only one leg of a stool, the others being tactics and mind set.
Since the first course I have taken Intermediate Defensive Handgun, Low Light Handgun Skills, Pepper Spray, Defensive Folding Knife, and Cane Self Defense.
All immensely useful and informative.  And the courses are integrated.
As in the continuum of lawful force and tactics.
It's better to spend some of your money on training and some on ammo rather than all on ammo.
Until you find out what you don't know, you might just be reinforcing bad techniques or tactics.
Here are some training organizations:
Insights Training www.insightstraining.com
Gunsite Academy in Arizona www.gunsite.net
Firearms Academy of Seattle www.firearmsacademy.com
Thunder Ranch in Texas www.thunderranchinc.com
Yavapai www.yfainc.com
Gabriel Suarez  www.suarezinternational.com (he also wrote some excellent books)

Get the training.  It will be the best money you ever spent.
Molon Labe!
Bald Barry

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
Training and Classes
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 02:48:23 AM »
I was baptised by John Farnam - one weekend and my life is changed forever - if you pass the test at the end of the course you would understand.  Check his schedule as he travels the country altering the minds of people that think they know how to handle a handgun in a defensive situation.  His website is my signature.