Author Topic: Interesting New Ramrod is on its Way!!  (Read 1443 times)

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
Interesting New Ramrod is on its Way!!
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:52:50 AM »
When I received my Thunder Mug several months ago from Scale Artillery, Austin had called up asking if he remembered to send the ramrod and powder measure.  I told him not to worry about the powder measure since I had made several out of sweat soldered copper pipe in the ranges that the Mug was good for (and for my other cannon).  And instead of getting the normal wood dowel for a ramrod I said to wait a bit because I would like to talk about a common ramrod that would service my golf ball sized pieces as well as my 1" cannons.  The idea was to have a swelled end for the golf ball size and have the handle diameter such that it would work for my 1" pieces.

Austin said that he could work something up.  At that same time my local machinist made me one (out of steel of all things) even though I asked for brass.  Not to worry, it is a perfect cleaning jag for both sizes.  Along that time you folk were talking about Safety Rammers that I had also mentioned.  So not to period or historically accurate in the least, but looks to be a very functional ramrod nonetheless.  I don't know if I did this right, but here goes with flicker photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/42913253@N05/sets/72157632142815957/

I think that I'll swap out the nuts for wing nuts for easier changing from one size to the other.  Don't know the full effect of the vent holes as yet, but I'm sure that it wouldn't hurt during an unexpected discharge.  The ends of the Rammer are convex as I requested to allow for easier insertion of my wads as some bores are slightly different than the others.  I noticed this when I ordered some steel balls for the golf ball size from Fox Balls.  They fit fine in my cannon, thunder mug (not that I would shoot one out of that), and BNA mortar, but they did not fit a stainless golf ball mortar or another stainless golf ball thunder mug?  Go figure.  Different people have different ideas on what makes a "Golf Ball" bore.  Austin also said (through his experimentation) that a wad placed with a convex rammer would set the piece up for a louder blast due to increased gas seal.  If it's anything like my shotgun experimenting, he'll be right on the money with that one.  For blanks I use to put Ballistic Products plastic gas seals in backwards and yes it does increase the pressure/sound of the blank.

Austin is currently working on some special proprietary Rammers that should prove to be a boon in loading and shot to shot accuracy so be looking for them when he has them available.  One last thing.  The whole clamp arrangement was due solely to my request for a dual functioning rammer.  If I had opted for one size only, I would have got a more traditional shepherds hook type of device.  This one allows me to swap out rammer directions to load the two different sizes I currently load.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Interesting New Ramrod is on its Way!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »
When I click on that link above, I see pictures of my own stuff.  What's the deal with that? ???
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
Pictures are now fixed.  I finally found the share link and the above link should get you there, 4 pic's total.  Smithy.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
I think the rammer handle is dangerous.  You want that handle all one diameter.  There is a natural tendency to wrap the fingers around and in front of the knob handle.  If there is a premature discharge and a finger or fingers are wrapped in front of that knob, the fingers are going to be ripped off.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »
Anything has to be better than a hammer. Like the one the ding dong in this video used to pack his thunder mug with.  What if that hammer flew out of there and hit him in the head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1uJ1L4um5w

I like the ramrod. If you plan on making sure every last ember is out before you load your next charge I wouldn't worry about a premature ignition. The guys in them  reenactments don't worry about it.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »
Anything has to be better than a hammer. Like the one the ding dong in this video used to pack his thunder mug with.  What if that hammer flew out of there and hit him in the head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1uJ1L4um5w

I like the ramrod. If you plan on making sure every last ember is out before you load your next charge I wouldn't worry about a premature ignition. The guys in them  reenactments don't worry about it.
1000 grains of 3f....  :o  wishing to go deaf quickly........ I am sure that was ear splitting when it went off......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
I think the rammer handle is dangerous.  You want that handle all one diameter.  There is a natural tendency to wrap the fingers around and in front of the knob handle.  If there is a premature discharge and a finger or fingers are wrapped in front of that knob, the fingers are going to be ripped off.

I agree. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »

Check the pictures over again.  I think that there are two side profile pictures of the Safety Rammer and the Hand Gonne.  The rammer comes up out of the bore and is connected to the part you hang onto by a clamp set up.  You never touch the rammer itself, just the safety handle on the side of the cannon.  The reason a clamp arrangement was used was so I could swap ends and load a different caliber/bore still to be only touched by the safety handle only and not the rammer.  Smithy.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
The handle of the rammer is a knob.  In a premature discharge it is going tear your fingers off. 

I know the rod is supposed to slip off the clamp during discharge, but you are betting it will work.  Why take the risk when it would be just as simple to make the handle all one diameter.  Look better also.

The handgonne is cool.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
If I am looking at this correctly the safety handle is a knob.  If that is correct your fingers clutch the knob in such a way as to risk the possibility of serious injury if the there is a premature discharge.   If that knob was longer to be more of a handle than a knob that would help.  Please correct me if the knob like handle is longer than I think.

DD got there before I could post this.

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
I know the rod is supposed to slip off the clamp during discharge, but you are betting it will work.  Why take the risk when it would be just as simple to make the handle all one diameter.  Look better also.

I get where you all are coming from.  It was my understanding that the knob would serve as a "Handle" and not a knob because no I will not be holding onto the metal rod ahead of the handle, just the handle itself.  Smithy.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 01:11:04 AM »
Skwkdw3,
I’m not criticizing your safety rammer just for the sake of being critical, nor do I think that anyone else here is, but I’ve got to agree with a few other posters on this thread: The design of your safety rammer nullifies the whole point of using a safety rammer in the first place. You’ve posted a photo that shows a golf ball, and using the ball for reference tells me that the piece of oak dowel that’s attached to the end of the handle part of your rammer is nowhere near long enough to serve a safe purpose. It’s a simple fix, just lengthen the wood dowel to at least half way up the length of metal rod that’s showing, and keep the wood the same diameter from front to back (and as smooth as possible).   
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:54:01 AM »
My point but probably stated better.

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
That's OK folks because I'm the one going to be using it.  I love the ingenuity of the design and it looks cool to boot.  I'm not part of a reenactors group firing round after round.  I'll probably set up my stainless display (six pieces total with 11 barrels total) and that takes a lot of time.  Then I may shoot my thunder mug, and finally my cannon.  It will take a large amount of time to just get the fuses set for the stainless display.  Only using powder and wad I run about as much chance of a missfire as a snowball's chance in heck.  I know, I know, the last words spoken from the guy that blew himself up, but seriously.  Do you ever see a safety rammer with a 69 caliber flintlock?  Or a 50 caliber 209 TC?  How about a desktop copy of a Parrot cannon in 50?  Usually not.  So at least I am currently over-engineered with my present ramrod.  Smithy. 

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
That's OK folks because I'm the one going to be using it.  I love the ingenuity of the design and it looks cool to boot.  I'm not part of a reenactors group firing round after round.  I'll probably set up my stainless display (six pieces total with 11 barrels total) and that takes a lot of time.  Then I may shoot my thunder mug, and finally my cannon.  It will take a large amount of time to just get the fuses set for the stainless display.  Only using powder and wad I run about as much chance of a missfire as a snowball's chance in heck.  I know, I know, the last words spoken from the guy that blew himself up, but seriously.  Do you ever see a safety rammer with a 69 caliber flintlock?  Or a 50 caliber 209 TC?  How about a desktop copy of a Parrot cannon in 50?  Usually not.  So at least I am currently over-engineered with my present ramrod.  Smithy.

I agree with you that your chances are slim but the maker should consider reworking the handle.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
Personally, I don't think that the vent holes in the ram head would really help all that much.  There is still enough surface to blow that out with considerable force.  And unless that clamp is fairly loose, as is you move that handle with minimal force, I wouldn't bet that it would let go.  On the other hand, if you were to always grasp it by the knob and not the shaft, then it might be a reasonable design. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
Apparently the first rod I was sent had an 8" handle and would have been right up you folks's alley.  The post office ate that one or had a problem with the address label as I did not receive it as yet, so Austin came up with this replacement rammer instead (if I end up with two, one will go back to Scale Artillery).  It appears that some of you folk already knew the following, but for some reason decided to keep quiet about it?  That I can't figure out.  The following is from the maker himself...

The Maker had intended to have a longer handle but was in a hurry to get it out. The main safety feature that everyone is overlooking is the Holes in the brass end in which is meant to relieve some of the pressure if a premature discharge does occur. Further more when i do get the longer handle I'll install it it's easy because its meant to come out also if it does happen but still allow you to use it. He had also meant to have a small 6" by 8" shield that goes on the handle since this is mainly for the thunder mugs and the position of the handle is 90 degrees and the shield would aid in the safety factor of a premature discharge to prevent debris from flying into ones face and body . And when he designs one for the Cannon it will have a adjustable clamp. And by using a wooden clamp that is meant to break upon a pre mature discharge. 

As you all can see, the handle is bored so that in a premature discharge no matter how many fingers I have interlaced around the handle, the rod is meant to separate from the handle and NOT present any sort of harm to fingers or hands at all.  I just wish that the folks that already knew this information through prior emails would have spoken up.  It would have saved a lot of back and forth action and explained the safe design from the start.  Apparently there are some folk that want to roll Austin under the bus.  That's a pure shame on their part and there is absolutely no excuse for that at all.  So in the future if you know something, get it out.  It would really make you look much more intelligent than keeping silent and look the way that you presently do!!  Smithy.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 04:55:28 AM »
As you all can see, the handle is bored so that in a premature discharge no matter how many fingers I have interlaced around the handle, the rod is meant to separate from the handle and NOT present any sort of harm to fingers or hands at all. 

From the photos one CAN'T see that.  My assumption was that the tab for the handle has a hole in it and pivots on the bolt just above it.  Which turn the whole thing into a potential flail.  Nor is it obvious what happens to the actual rammer.  I see it in a clamp that has three bolts so the obvious thing to think is that it is clamped securely and fairly rigidly in place (hey, you're gonna be putting some force on it when you tamp your load, you want it snug, right?). You know how it's built, so it is obvious to you.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:12 AM »
From the photos one CAN'T see that.

I never said that in reference to the photos.  It was in reference to the maker's description of the ramrod.  No need to get testy.  Smithy.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »
As you all can see, the handle is bored so that in a premature discharge no matter how many fingers I have interlaced around the handle, the rod is meant to separate from the handle and NOT present any sort of harm to fingers or hands at all.  I just wish that the folks that already knew this information through prior emails would have spoken up.  It would have saved a lot of back and forth action and explained the safe design from the start.  Apparently there are some folk that want to roll Austin under the bus.  That's a pure shame on their part and there is absolutely no excuse for that at all.  So in the future if you know something, get it out.  It would really make you look much more intelligent than keeping silent and look the way that you presently do!!  Smithy.

5kwkdw3,
I'll state plainly that I usually don't put much stock in conspiracy theories, but just for the sake of curiosity; I am asking why you think that anyone who has posted on this thread would want to harm Austin in any way?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »
5kwkdw3,
I'll state plainly that I usually don't put much stock in conspiracy theories, but just for the sake of curiosity; I am asking why you think that anyone who has posted on this thread would want to harm Austin in any way?

Well through this post and ones previous to this, the very mention of his name gets folks in an uproar.  The first mention was about my thunder mug and the sharp, cutting comments flowed like a river.  Again on this posting;  I'm made out to be an idiot for using his stuff "I would not dare to use that with such a short handal.  You'll rip your hand off" and "The maker should have known better" etc.  It seems that some folk hold grudges for far longer than necessary.  Life is too short, give it a rest.  Like I've posted before, the first Ruger I ever bought was a piece of crap.  Cylinder would not lock up and the sights could not be adjusted because I was all the way to one side and still needed to go further.  Did I pout and bad mouth Ruger from there to eternity?  NO, not at all.  I just figured I got a bad example and waited until I could give the brand another try.  I'm glad I did because I just love my present Ruger's that I own.  Austin make quality stuff period.  So why is it that when I post about a new item I have bought from him I'm met with "It's a piece of crap" and "You're living dangerously if you even think about using it".  Bull crap.  Go somewhere else to pout and stop airing your bitches on line.  Smithy.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
5kwkdw3,

Well through this post and ones previous to this, the very mention of his name gets folks in an uproar.  The first mention was about my thunder mug and the sharp, cutting comments flowed like a river.  Again on this posting;  I'm made out to be an idiot for using his stuff "I would not dare to use that with such a short handal.  You'll rip your hand off" and "The maker should have known better" etc.  It seems that some folk hold grudges for far longer than necessary.  Life is too short, give it a rest.  Like I've posted before, the first Ruger I ever bought was a piece of crap.  Cylinder would not lock up and the sights could not be adjusted because I was all the way to one side and still needed to go further.  Did I pout and bad mouth Ruger from there to eternity?  NO, not at all.  I just figured I got a bad example and waited until I could give the brand another try.  I'm glad I did because I just love my present Ruger's that I own.  Austin make quality stuff period.  So why is it that when I post about a new item I have bought from him I'm met with "It's a piece of crap" and "You're living dangerously if you even think about using it".  Bull crap.  Go somewhere else to pout and stop airing your bitches on line.  Smithy.

Thanks for this intelligent, dignified, and rational answer to my question, Smithy.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »
5K. I think your taking things way to personally. Anytime you post something on here chances are its going to recieve the views and opinions of the people on here.  I for one would like to see the safety rammer tested to know if it would break away like its supposed to. If it doesn't then a longer handle would be awesome. When your talking safety at a safety meeting everyone should feel free to make suggestions no matter how dumb they are and management should consider them.

Can we get a crash test dummy test on this thing. Glue the dummys hands to the ramrod and light the fuse. Post it to youtube and let us see it.