Author Topic: Unidentified signal cannon, I think?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline justin2500

• Trade Count: (0)
Unidentified signal cannon, I think?
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
Hi there, I have just purchased 2 cannons which are either brass or bronze. I can not find anything that looks like these. I am wondering if they are reproductions or ornamental etc. they weigh 102Lbs each. Overall length is aprx 21". The bore is 1 5/8". each one is stamped on the mounting pegs one reads 1881 B.W.W other cannon reads T.R.W 1872. Any information would be grate I cannot find anyone here near Bangor Pa. that has any knowledge on the subject.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Unidentified signal cannon, I think?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
I've seen iron cannons similar to them.  The iron ones slide in a long rectangular recoil slide, which if yours is the same type, are missing.  The long track pivots in a huge cast iron arc, which again if yours is similar to rhe iron ones, is missing from yours.  Your cannons, if same as iron ones, were intended as models and not for saluting.  Someone has at some time added a percussion nipple which that type of model never had.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
Don't know anything about the model type, but the patina looks very old.  You don't get that type of color naturally for many decades. 

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »
You don't get that type of color naturally for many decades. 

I believe Zulu has reproduced that finish on at least one of his works of art.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »
At 102# they are larger than they appear in the photo.  There's nothing to scale from like a soda can or powder can. 
Measurements?  What is the diameter at the vent (touch hole).  Today we like to see 3X bore diameter, though earlier designs may not have complied.  I think the others are correct that the rest of the mounting is missing.  Look at Seacoast Artillery makes...   a swivel & sliding recoil assembly.
I think you likely have a nice find, signal cannons, if you like that style of piece.

Offline justin2500

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
Here are some more pictures. thanks for every ones replies. I did fire one of them today, after a thorough cleaning and inspection of course. it worked great ;D some one did question the touch hole. The hole is aprx 1/4" with a cast iron percussion cap nipple installed in it. Any one have any idea of what one of these is worth? or how old it is.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
IMO,not made to be fired; percussion cap added to the nonfiring model at some time after manufacture.  I collect models, and am basing what I write here on other pieces I've seen, which are iron but very similar to yours.  Don't know who made yours or why, unfortunately.  I have not seen that exact shape of tube, it is a bit like a Rodman but with noticeable differences..

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
I admire your models, but they're also kind of odd. To me they more strongly resemble Dahlgren shell guns, although the "cascabels" are wrong, as are the carriages.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 03:27:55 AM »
These guns look almost exactly like the Dahlgren barbette mounted gun that Dominic made me last year, carriage and all. The wheels of the carriage are not there on this one so I don't know if it ever had the slide portion of the mount. Sure would like to own one though.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 04:08:23 AM »
I agree that these were probably made to be looked at a lot & shot little but we commonly see shootable models.  I don't think they were made for percussion, probably fuse, so that was added.  Yes, they don't match exactly the originals.  Not my style of gun but a nice find.   

Offline Delkal

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
Just wondering about the comments on these not being shootable.  The cannons look to have the 3 to 1 Chamber/bore and the casting looks smooth.   Probably a quality cast.  Do you think they might have voids in the casting to make it just a decorator?

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
Where's Intodeep?  Doesn't he work with these Yacht guns--starting guns for yacht races.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
These aren't breech loaded blank firing signal/salute guns, DD.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
these Yacht guns--starting guns for yacht races.

I'll just say once again that these are models, not made for firing, whether or not they are physically capable of firing.  I collect and study old cannon models, have seen and handled hundreds of 'em, and I knows one when I seize one!

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:14:57 AM »
These aren't breech loaded blank firing signal/salute guns, DD.

That's correct and they are dated in the very early days when cartridges were first being developed. Yacht guns would more likely be muzzle loading then.

Cannonmn, may be right, but then maybe not

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:39 AM »
I'm sorry for misinterpreting your post Douglas, but when I read "yacht gun" coupled with intoodeep's name, I jumped to the conclusion that you were referring to the breech loading, firing pin activated variety. There certainly were muzzleloading yacht cannon, but these two models aren't them; also, I wouldn't put all that much faith in the dates marked on these barrels accurately reflecting when they were cast.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »
I am wondering if these were perhaps commishioned for a GAR post?  I could see these possible being used now and then for cerimonies fired with blanks with no real recoil a percussion cap and a small brass hammer might have seemed an easy soulution to firing.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »
I'm sorry for misinterpreting your post Douglas, but when I read "yacht gun" coupled with intoodeep's name, I jumped to the conclusion that you were referring to the breech loading, firing pin activated variety. There certainly were muzzleloading yacht cannon, but these two models aren't them; also, I wouldn't put all that much faith in the dates marked on these barrels accurately reflecting when they were cast.

What makes you say that John?  You could be right of course.  So could JohnM of course.  But then so could Allen. In fact I like the idea of JohnM  and Allen combined.  They are models that some GAR post  got a hold of and fired. 

On the other hand JohnM alludes to seeing similiar guns in iron and not  bronze.  The fact they are  bronze and patinated and have some heavy hammer marks around the nipples says these are something different.  They have been display outdoors or at least exposed to the elements.

I think the markings are relevant,  I just don't know in what sense they might be relevant.

And, I could be completely 100% wrong.

I just don't think we should just casually pass these guns off as irrelevant.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »
Douglas,
These models simply don’t correspond to any yacht guns that I’ve ever seen, especially in regards to the carriages. I’m also inclined to agree with John, that they were originally intended to be display models.   
The marked initials and years probably do have a real significance, but I wouldn’t make a big bet that they record the dates of manufacture.
I believe that Allen offers a valid speculation, those dates might even represent GAR charters.
I don’t think these models are irrelevant, to the contrary, I wish they were mine.

Offline Machine Tom

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
I have been to a cemetery that I racking my brain to remember where, and seen a memorial with a pair of cannons like that, mounted on a masoleom.  It was in upstate NY, just can't remember where.