Author Topic: What do I really have here.  (Read 1709 times)

Offline aboatguy

• Trade Count: (0)
What do I really have here.
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
The story is it is off of a german ship and procured around the turn of the 20th century.   

What I know as fact is it sat here starting in 1954 and previously it was at another location in the 1920s. 

The carriage was redone in 1954 and the wooden wheels were replaced with concrete.  (bugs and ants on the beach were quickly destroying the wheels.
bottom of tube

Offline aboatguy

Re: What do I really have here.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
bottom of tube

whats left of the iron.   the concrete wheels were done in the 1950s  due to insects destroying the wooden ones.

Most of the iron turned to dust here's what I'm trying to save

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
Welcome to the board.  You need to give us a little more information on this gun.  Some measurements like overall length, bore size, and breech diameter.  Are there any markings on the barrel?  Do you have a photo showing the whole barrel? 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »
Only one of two cross pieces were still there.  and IMO this one is to far gone to worry about.  (Its missing 4" or so that turned into powder in the wood.

The way the eyebolts and original iron pieces extended all the way through the wood leads me to believe this is real and not a lawn ornament. 

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »

Approximately 16.5" across at the trunions.

Trunions are approximately the same length as diameter  3 1/2" inches

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
Now the interesting side

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
You have a relatively small caliber (possibly a 9 pounder) carronade.  Carronades were used between 1770 to 1850's.  These were short range guns meant to smash large holes in the side of a ship or to sweep a deck with grape shot.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »
Looks like a trunnioned Carronade.  Probably a copy.  Don't know of originals with a  crown like that but I don't know everything. 

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
There may have been some line throwing accoutraments with it that succumbed to the elements around WWII.  However, from the description it could have been a wooden tompion.  (sitting on a beach for almost a century is rough on wood and iron)

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
You have a relatively small caliber (possibly a 9 pounder) carronade.  Carronades were used between 1770 to 1850's.  These were short range guns meant to smash large holes in the side of a ship or to sweep a deck with grape shot.

I should have said this is a variant of the carronade.  With the trunnions on the sides of the barrel this would make it a gunnade.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
Also known as an insurance gun.  Looks like two letters under the crown.  Remove paint there and see what they are.  If B P, the tube was cast by Bailey and Pegg, a foundry which ran for a very long time in the London area.

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
The letters under the crown are indeed BP. I used a special filter in photoshop and the letters popped out.
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »
I used a special filter in photoshop and the letters popped out.

Maybe I should let you try that on the hidden marks on a certain 6-pounder Treadwell gun.

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
Sure can, send me the pic.

I used a special filter in photoshop and the letters popped out.

Maybe I should let you try that on the hidden marks on a certain 6-pounder Treadwell gun.
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
Aboatguy,
How about filling in some of the blanks: Are you refurbishing the barrel and building a replacement carriage. Is the gun going to be placed back on the beach where it came from? Did you buy this gunade? I could go on and on here, but I think you get the message; or should I say questions?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »

I plan on conserving it...  I believe the axles and other iron pieces are original too.  The real question is how do I conserve the TUBE and recreate the iron .... and the carriage.

I'd like to do no harm but thats just the old boatguy in me.   

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »
 There's a fairly simple electrolytic rust removal setup that just about anyone can build on the cheap. I've used the method successfully for smaller parts. IIRC, cannonmn has used it for large cannons(?)

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

With the paint on it though, I think I'd just abrasive blast it off along with the rust. That might be too aggressive for some folks' liking.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »

I plan on conserving it...  I believe the axles and other iron pieces are original too.  The real question is how do I conserve the TUBE and recreate the iron .... and the carriage.

I'd like to do no harm but thats just the old boatguy in me.

boatguy,
Why all the mystery here?  Is this your gun?
How did you come by it?
Do you know what type of carriage you want to replicate?  Naval?
Like Cannoneer asked, is it going back on the beach?
The ironwork that has to be made will depend on the carriage you want to build.  Because of the condition of the old hardware, I don't see too much choice in that matter.
It sounds like a fun project.
Please give the curious more details.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 05:04:35 AM »
(moved by author)

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
I plan on conserving it...  I believe the axles and other iron pieces are original too.  The real question is how do I conserve the TUBE and recreate the iron .... and the carriage

A nice barrel & she deserves to be preserved & fitted with a carriage. I agree with other comments that its a British made barrel, commercial not military, called a carronade by British & gunnade by Americans.

I have a similar barrel, similar size but without the sight patches & crown or any markings at all. I made a teak carriage for mine. See below...
(apologies to those who have seen these pics before)
Adrian

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
For those that provided information thanks so much.

For those with questions title said it all...  Its mine and it won't be going back on the beach. 

The previous owner had possession of it from early 1950s   It was on the beach since 1952.   The story is her father got it from a german ship around 1906.   

I'd like to conserve it.   If the iron is original I'd like to build the correct style carriage.   

If I get some time off this weekend, I will attempt to gently remove the wood thats plugging the barrel. 

Mike       

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 04:33:34 AM »
My method for cast iron guns:  Use Stripeaze (sp?) paste paint stripper per intructions, then wash off any residue.  With suitable clothing all over myself, and protective face shield, mount a properly-rpm rated knotted wire rotary brush to an aprox. 11K+ rpm angle grinder, with side handle mounted, and take surface down to bare iron.  Wash again,soap and water, towel it dry, let crevices dry, then prime with Rustoleum metal primer.  Then coat with Rustoleum gloss black.  Recoat per instructions if desired, or if any primer shows thru.
A 24 pdr. M1819 seacoast gun in the front yard that had this treatment still looks like it did about 25 years ago when I last painted it.

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »
I know for sure that the 1906 carriage had wooden wheels.  The previous owner describes them a little wooden wheels.  So my question is are the iron axles I have original or would wooden axles have been used with wooden wheels?   I'll post some more pics of the iron that I have. 

If there is a specific pic someone wants of the tube or Iron let me know. (time limit for requests of pics is  Dec 2012)

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
Some pictures of the surviving iron. 

bottom of front axle

Rear attachments for trunion caps

trunion cap

front of cap  with remaining front attachment piece

the other trunion cap with front axle.  (still attached.  piece may be further damaged if I try to remove it from axle.  I'll need to try heat, kroil and time to separate them

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »
I was able to remove the wooden plug without much difficulty. 

pulling crap out

used the shop vac and heres the result....   IMO  it still
 looks ugly in there.

Offline aboatguy

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
I have two questions:

1, Is the iron original
2. How should I preserve the bore

Thanks in advance

Mike